Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never owned a decent mountain bike and want to get started riding around my neighborhood and then taking on some trails. I live in a pretty flat midwest area of Chicago, IL so there's not too much around here. There are some decent trails if you really go looking though, but I'm probably not going to find any mountains.

Anyhoo, I have a co-worker that has a 1997 (or 98) Trek UAV he wants to sell. It's most likely the largest frame size which is good because we are about the same height, 6' 3". It's all black which leads me to believe it's the UAV 1, not the 2 (even though I can't find ANY pictures besides the one on Trek's timeline). I'm pretty sure it's all stock and has hardly been used, and never off road. It's just been sitting for years in the basement so it needs to be cleaned up (dusted off... maybe surface rust.. I don't know because I haven't seen it yet). It's an all aluminium frame.. here's the spec sheet:
http://www.bikearchive.com/docs/98 UAV.pdf

My question is, how much do you think it's worth, and how much would you pay for it yourself? :) two very subjective and different questions. How much it's worth would be what ebay, craigslist, or the gen pop will pay for it, and how much you'd pay for it could be very different depending on if you think it's worth having. The owner claims to have paid $1100 for it. I won't post what I think it's worth based on my research, so as not to influence the gen pop answer.

I figure I should just start with a hardtail with front suspension and see if I like riding. Find the trails and then upgrade as I see fit. I'm really hoping it works out because I want to do all of the things I'm seeing with those downhill freeriding videos. Looks like a blast and a good workout, not to mention a little bit risky (which I need more of that in my life right now).

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
The bike possibly has alot of value to the owner since he spent a fortune on it but today it is probibly worth about $300 at the very most, wich really sux. Unfortunatly bikes dont retain there value any better then a MX moto. There are collectors out there of course & to them it might be worth more to them. :madman:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm seeing plenty of last-year model type sales for half the original price. We're talking about an 8 to 9 year old bike. A high quality one, but old nonetheless. I have to ride it to really know how much I'd spend on it... but while looking at the prices of stuff today, say the FS bikes, you really have to make sure you get the right one that will last a long time, or have a lot of money to burn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.