Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new-to-me 2017 Farley EX 9.8 and am trying to replace the rear shock. The stock is a Fox 7.25x1.875 with the Reaktive bits.

I was hoping that a standard trunnion mount DPX2 would work, but I reached out to a few retailers and was told that mount is proprietary and that the only thing I can do is order another of the exact same shock that I have now directly from Trek.

Is this really the case, or is there another option that I can try? I found a couple of adapters online but they're listed as out of stock/backorder, and I get a "We don't make these anymore" vibe from them.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't say for sure - this is what I was told by ProBikeSupply (who were awesome about helping me sort this out):

I just checked with Trek and it looks like the shock size on your bike is proprietary. Back in 2017 they used a differently spacing on their trunnion mount compared to what is currently available aftermarket.
I found a shop called DirtLabs online, and they make this adapter here:

https://www.dirtlabs.com/trunnion-adapter-kit/

They emailed me right back and said that they make this adapter specifically for this purpose, so I ordered one up. I'm hoping that will let me put a 185x50mm off-the-shelf Float DPX2 with a "normal" trunnion mount on my bike. The stock shock has a ~48mm stroke compared to the 50 on the new one but it's a fat bike so I'm hoping the difference is small enough that it won't really matter.

I'm just about to order the shock from PBS, so fingers crossed at this point but I don't have either in front of me so I'm just hoping it works out. I'd actually never even heard of a trunnion mount until a couple of days ago when I tried finding a new shock for my bike, so it's been a learning experience.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to find a standard eyelet shock for those adapters. They are just a conversion from trunnion to standard eyelet
You're right, and that's what happens when I go down the suspension rabbit hole late at night, lol.

I was hoping a 185x50 + that adapter will work in place of my stock ~184x48, but as it turns out all of the 185x50 offerings are trunnion mount and not standard eyelet. Argh.. Bikes, man...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was hoping a 185x50 + that adapter will work in place of my stock ~184x48, but as it turns out all of the 185x50 offerings are trunnion mount and not standard eyelet. Argh.. Bikes, man...
I can't say 100% for sure but I looked at some pictures of Farleys and I'm pretty sure you can just go ahead and get the 185x50 trunnion shock. You should be able to reuse the hardware you already have. When you get the new shock just cycle it fully and make sure nothing bad happens (like the swingarm hitting the seat tube)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.