Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting for my new Top Fuel 9.8 XT to arrive. I would like to replace the shocks with something more adjustable.
I am looking at the Fox Factory DPX2 in the back, and a factory 34 with the new grip 2 in the front.

Any better suggestions? This will be an all around bike for use the PNW. Mainly cross country, some up hill, and a few down hills for fun. Not a primarily down hill bike.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I am waiting for my new Top Fuel 9.8 XT to arrive. I would like to replace the shocks with something more adjustable.
I am looking at the Fox Factory DPX2 in the back, and a factory 34 with the new grip 2 in the front.

Any better suggestions? This will be an all around bike for use the PNW. Mainly cross country, some up hill, and a few down hills for fun. Not a primarily down hill bike.
It's VERY difficult to find a replacement shock for the Top Fuel. Seat tube clearance pretty much mandates that the shock be mounted upside down, which would put the levers on the DPS and DPX2 in an awkward position.

Good call on the new 34 with Grip2 damper, IMO. Now that I've retired from racing, I'm finding that I don't always prefer the front and rear suspension to lockout at the same time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fox Factory DPX2

I would also be interested to know if I can make the DPX2 fit on my top fuel 9.8 2020

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I don't think a DPX2 will bit due to the need to mount upside down, and the shock's reservoir/down tube issues. Love to be wrong.

I'm running a standard DPS at the moment. It's a bit awkward to get at the lever, at first, but I adjusted pretty quickly.

I enjoy having the "middle" position for single track climbing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My local Trek shop (Redmond, WA) is working with Fox. The DPx2 I am getting will fit. I am not sure what Fox is doing yet to make it work, but I am expecting the shock at the end of the month. I am also getting a Factory 36 that is set up for 130mm travel as well. I wlll post photos when the shocks arrive.

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
225 Posts
If you are trying to fix a DPX2 on a Top Fuel, you bought the wrong bike...Maybe a Fuel or Slash would be a better fit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are trying to fix a DPX2 on a Top Fuel, you bought the wrong bike...Maybe a Fuel or Slash would be a better fit.
Do you speak from experience, or is this just your opinion?

On paper, this would cut me down to two bikes. This configuration would handle anything XC, Trail or Enduro, and the other bike being for downhill. The stock shocks work great for flat XC, but I want a little more suspension for typical trails here in the PNW. I like the way the Top Fuel climbs. The Fuel EX is a little on the mushy side for climbing.

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
225 Posts
Do you speak from experience, or is this just your opinion?

On paper, this would cut me down to two bikes. This configuration would handle anything XC, Trail or Enduro, and the other bike being for downhill. The stock shocks work great for flat XC, but I want a little more suspension for typical trails here in the PNW. I like the way the Top Fuel climbs. The Fuel EX is a little on the mushy side for climbing.
Just my opinion. BTW, I rode my Top Fuel with stock suspension all over Northern Italy (I just moved back in December) on some of the steepest, rockiest terrain in the world. I did fine. Just not as fast as an Enduro bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
DPX2 in Top Fuel

My local Trek shop (Redmond, WA) is working with Fox. The DPx2 I am getting will fit. I am not sure what Fox is doing yet to make it work, but I am expecting the shock at the end of the month. I am also getting a Factory 36 that is set up for 130mm travel as well. I wlll post photos when the shocks arrive.
Good set-up. I'm putting a Fox 34 Grip-2 in my Top Fuel. I wonder if anyone tried putting 140mm fork. It would be great to see the DPX2 in your Top Fuel, please post photos when complete.
I agree about the tconfiguration, would still handle XC and be a little more capable in Trail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Please post photos, I would like to see how they make it work. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
DPX2 on 9.9 top fuel

Still waiting on the shocks. the ETA is for the first week of November now.
I have a 2017 trek top fuel 9.9 with Fox 34 and looking at replacing the rear shocks.. What Is the Eye to Eye and Stroke? Fox makes a DPX2 with an Eye to Eye of 210 and Stroke of 52.5.. I believe this would fit.. Can you tell me what size you are looking at?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have a 2017 trek top fuel 9.9 with Fox 34 and looking at replacing the rear shocks.. What Is the Eye to Eye and Stroke? Fox makes a DPX2 with an Eye to Eye of 210 and Stroke of 52.5.. I believe this would fit.. Can you tell me what size you are looking at?

The 2017 and 2020 Top fuel are completely different.

·
Registered
10 Posts
DXP2 on '17 Fuel EX 9.9

I need to replace shock on my '17 Fuel EX 9.9, and notice that the Float DPS is no longer available in the 52.5 mm stroke. did you find that the DXP2 will or will not fit the Fuel EX?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Still waiting on the shocks. the ETA is for the first week of November now.
How did the setup work for you? Ironically, I just bought a 9.8 GX, from the same Trek store in Redmond. I want to eliminate the remote lockouts and will likely try to sell the full SID suspension setup and Trek lockout lever as a set. That leaves me with deciding on a fork. For the fork, I'm leaning towards a Pike Ultimate at 130 and figure I can reduce it back to 120 since I'd mainly use the bike at the lower elevation trails we have in Western Wa.

What offset did you go with on your fork? Also, how did the rear shock work out?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DPX2 does not fit!

I still have not gotten my shocks yet. I got an update on Friday from the Trek shop, from Fox. The Fox engineer confirmed that the DPX2 does not fit on the Top Fuel. Apparently, the engineer has a Top Fuel and tried to get the shock to fit.

I am still waiting on my Fox Factory 36 150mm, tuned down to 130mm. That is now scheduled to arrive on 12/11.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How did the setup work for you? Ironically, I just bought a 9.8 GX, from the same Trek store in Redmond. I want to eliminate the remote lockouts and will likely try to sell the full SID suspension setup and Trek lockout lever as a set. That leaves me with deciding on a fork. For the fork, I'm leaning towards a Pike Ultimate at 130 and figure I can reduce it back to 120 since I'd mainly use the bike at the lower elevation trails we have in Western Wa.

What offset did you go with on your fork? Also, how did the rear shock work out?
Cool! Another local! For the shocks, the DPX2 isn't going to work. I will be going with the Fox 36 in the front, tuned down to 130mm. I will keep the lockout on the rear shock. I will remove the lockout on the front. I would rather have the three settings, which are easy enough to set on the go. As far as the lockout switch, the shop is went through this one with me. I had the grips on mine swapped out, as I did not like that twist contraption for the lockout. Trek now makes a two lever switch that can handle the dropper post and 1 or 2 shock lockouts, so long as you are good with locking both out at once. This is similar to the Scott lever that folks were using. I have been running a Shockwiz on the front and back to get he shocks dialed in. The stock shocks are working fine. I want the front one replaced more for vanity than anything else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my 9.8 XT last October and have put ~350 miles into it. Before long, I realized I have never needed to lock out the suspension - not even on long, standing climbs on fire roads. I usually ride 2 miles on asphalt to get to the trailhead and even then, I don't mind keeping the suspension active. I'm coming from a fuel-ex where I would always lock the fork and shocks when climbing and on the road. It might be different if I was racing and trying to conserve every last watt.

As much as I found the suspension lockout useless, I use the dropper every little chance I get. It is a 2021 model and came with the dropper/lockout combo lever. The combo lever is not ergonomic for me when using the dropper. About a 100 miles ago, I pulled out the lockout lever, cables, and housing. I installed a Shimano XTR dropper lever. It matches the rest of the Shimano components and even came with i-SPEC-EV attachment. It is much easier to operate than the clunky stock unit and cleaned up the cables a bit. I thought I might miss the lockout but since it is a short travel suspension bike, there is hardly any pedal bob. I'm good with this setup - for now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts