1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone feel that the bike is cramped ?

Too small ?

Even in an XL?

Did I read correct that the 2018 models are different than the 16, 17 & 19 which reverted back to old geometry ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
All depends on how tall you are, if you're not over 6'2" you should probably be able to make one of the sizes work. That being said, yes their Reach numbers for the 2019 models is a bit on the shorter length for each size as compared to other brands, 463mm Reach for an XL, even with the 654mm Stack and 68mm BB drop would be pushing it for me at 6'2" if I wanted to use a stem <60mm.
Best bet as always is to try and get a test ride even around the store to see how it feels, so be pretty easy to feel if it's going to be too cramped.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I've got an old geo Alu. I'm 6'2" 35" inseam. I'm running a 60x10deg stem with CZ38 riser bars. Fits well, but flexes a lot laterally when I pedal. There's no way I'd ever expect this thing to handle singlespeed without a tensioner under my 220# butt. Though I do have more leverage than stock with long 180mm crankset.

I'd prefer another inch of reach and stack so I could run a 35mm stem and low rise bars.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All depends on how tall you are, if you're not over 6'2" you should probably be able to make one of the sizes work. That being said, yes their Reach numbers for the 2019 models is a bit on the shorter length for each size as compared to other brands, 463mm Reach for an XL, even with the 654mm Stack and 68mm BB drop would be pushing it for me at 6'2" if I wanted to use a stem <60mm.
Best bet as always is to try and get a test ride even around the store to see how it feels, so be pretty easy to feel if it's going to be too cramped.
I'm 6"4". 230'

Would a 2018 Stache 7 have a longer wheel base - longer reach than a 2019?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Be aware that Trek has had some issues with the geometry charts on these bikes on their website. In the 'show us your stache' thread in the Trek subforum here a number of inconsistencies were highlighted and never resolved. If precise geometry numbers are important to you, I recommend bringing a tape measure to your LBS to get them yourself. What is known is that the carbon models have a longer reach and lower BB than the 2016/2017 alloy models. 2018/2019 alloy models *may* use the longer carbon geometry or may not...

I'm 5'11" 33" Inseam and I do occasionally think the reach on my alloy 2017 19.5" Stache could be a bit longer. I'm still quite comfortable on the bike. I have a 50 mm stem, may try a 60 at some point, or sliding my seat back a hair.

·
Registered
906 Posts
As someone with a B+ and 29+ I much prefer the 29+. I love my 1x1, but if I was buying a new SS it would be 29+. Demo some bikes before you buy if you can.

Reach in the Surly Krampus is a little longer on the XL, but the HA is steeper.

The Salsa Woodsmoke XL has a reach of 481, and other numbers similar to the stache.

If you're willing to spend more Ventana's Wolfram comes in up to 3XL with a reach of 533 mm(!) Wolfram | Ventana

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Can't help you on the Stache fit if as said the web site geo data is actually not accurate, you'll have to get measurements yourself or ask someone who has the ones you're looking at.

As to Chameleon vs Stache, i.e. B+ vs 29+, to me no comparison, B+ is the alternative you use if that's all you can, as in retrofitting an older 29er frame (which is how WTB pictured it when they released B+), 29+ is what you get when it's a thought out process and not retrofitting.

Wondering maybe If a Chameleon is a better route for HT?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't help you on the Stache fit if as said the web site geo data is actually not accurate, you'll have to get measurements yourself or ask someone who has the ones you're looking at.

As to Chameleon vs Stache, i.e. B+ vs 29+, to me no comparison, B+ is the alternative you use if that's all you can, as in retrofitting an older 29er frame (which is how WTB pictured it when they released B+), 29+ is what you get when it's a thought out process and not retrofitting.
The Chameleon comes 29 too

·
Registered
70 Posts
Gotcha - I guess 29+ is 29 x 2.6? , 2.8?

In regards to cramped your original question, I don't feel cramped. I'm 6'2.5" and I'm on a 2018 Stache 7 (21in). I did however slam my stem pretty low (10mm from headset, 50mm stem). As to this question; 2.6 is not quite 29+ and there aren't a whole lot of 29 2.8 options available but, 2.8 & up would be 29+

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Just depends on your terrain and riding style. I have altered my riding style since riding the Stache because I won't do drops over about waist-high. At 220#, going big on a hardtail often results in destroying a nice rear wheel.

For my local trails, the best bike for the job is really something like a Stumpy 29 dually. ( standard, not short travel) We have a few trails where an Enduro or Canyon Spectral would be ideal, but overall... Something in the 140-150mm range 29er dually is a quiver killer.

But that's for my riding style. Plenty of people here riding a Stache, but they're going around bigger features and not bombing rock gardens like that on a dually.

No matter what, the Stache is still a hardtail. 3"tires don't make up for suspension. If I bombed a rock garden running 15psi, I'd end up with flat spots on my $700-wheelset and $200-worth of pinched tires.

Though it's the most capable and fun hardtail I've ever ridden, it's still a hardtail and ya gotta treat it like one.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
With Stache, you can still ride through rock gardens... Even somewhat quickly, but you can't charge them. Best option for that is using the first rock to launch you over and across the entire section if possible.

·
Registered
731 Posts
FWIW, I had a 2018 Stache 5 for a year, in 21.5 size, but some jackass stole it. I replaced it with an XL Chameleon 27.5+. The reach definitely feels longer on the Chameleon. It actually took a little getting used to. I liked my Stache, but I LOVE my Chameleon because I think it handles better in the corners when I'm going fast. Both are really fun bikes.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FWIW, I had a 2018 Stache 5 for a year, in 21.5 size, but some jackass stole it. I replaced it with an XL Chameleon 27.5+. The reach definitely feels longer on the Chameleon. It actually took a little getting used to. I liked my Stache, but I LOVE my Chameleon because I think it handles better in the corners when I'm going fast. Both are really fun bikes.
Can you do 29 on that Chameleon?

·
PoDaddy
176 Posts
I would argue (of course) that you can "charge" rock gardens on a hardtail, it just requires you to have very fluid technique. The proper technique.

A hardtail (or especially rigid bike) will call out your bullshit quickly and make you a better rider forever. I started on full suspension and stayed with only full sus for a decade.

Now I only own a rigid Krampus and I'm smashing PR's, having more fun, and becoming a better rider than ever before. I don't quite bomb the rock gardens as mindlessly as before, but I still drop most of my fully suspended buddies on the downhills. It's fantastic.

Granted, I'm young (late 20's). I understand why older bodies might not have the same euphoric experience every time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.