Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new full suspension bike. I like the idea of a long-travel 29er but I'm concerned the Slash is too much bike for the riding here. I ride The SHED, patapsco and fountainhead mainly. The new Slash has 170/160 mil of suspension for reference.

Would love to hear thoughts. TIA

Also would reducing the travel by 10 mil front and back to 160/150 make the bike more manageable around the local trails?

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Also would reducing the travel by 10 mil front and back to 160/150 make the bike more manageable around the local trails?
I've never ridden any of the trails you're asking about, but I have spent a lot of time in the GW, the area around Massanutten, and trails around Charlottesville. The biggest bike I've ever ridden on any of those trails was a 115 rear 130 front trail bike. You could ride a bigger bike, but it's really up to you. I typically get told I'm "a little under gunned" on some of the big stuff, but the bike pedals well on flatter stuff.

I've focused on one part of your post though, for a reason. If you think reducing the travel will help, don't change that bike, look at a different bike. For instance, a step below the Slash's stock travel range is, I think, the Giant Reign, which is a 150/160 bike if memory serves. They also have the Trance X 29, not to be confused with the Trance 29 (which I ride) - a good Trek substitute for the Trance bikes would be the Fuel EX.

I guess my questions to you would be: What are you riding now? Why do you feel like a long travel bike would be good for you?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't know about Shed but that's a lot of bike for Patapsco which has very short but steep rolling hills from how I remember it. You could make some use of it at Fountainhead's black loop.

I ride my Banshee Rune everywhere which is 160mm front and rear. There are places I go on a regular basis where I can make full use of a nice enduro bike but I still love it on easy mellow stuff too. With that being said I'd probably hate riding it at Patapsco.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never ridden any of the trails you're asking about, but I have spent a lot of time in the GW, the area around Massanutten, and trails around Charlottesville. The biggest bike I've ever ridden on any of those trails was a 115 rear 130 front trail bike. You could ride a bigger bike, but it's really up to you. I typically get told I'm "a little under gunned" on some of the big stuff, but the bike pedals well on flatter stuff.

I've focused on one part of your post though, for a reason. If you think reducing the travel will help, don't change that bike, look at a different bike. For instance, a step below the Slash's stock travel range is, I think, the Giant Reign, which is a 150/160 bike if memory serves. They also have the Trance X 29, not to be confused with the Trance 29 (which I ride) - a good Trek substitute for the Trance bikes would be the Fuel EX.

I guess my questions to you would be: What are you riding now? Why do you feel like a long travel bike would be good for you?
So the new reign is also 170/160, that seems to be the trend for enduro 29er's now.

Lol right now I'm riding a 2014 Trek X-caliber (XC hardtail), I like to ride the shed, hit drops, jumps and techy bits. So I want something capable of doing all that and being able to hit the bike part occasionally. I have a buddy with the Fuel Ex and I think it's a little undergunned IMO

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know about Shed but that's a lot of bike for Patapsco which has very short but steep rolling hills from how I remember it. You could make some use of it at Fountainhead's black loop.

I ride my Banshee Rune everywhere which is 160mm front and rear. There are places I go on a regular basis where I can make full use of a nice enduro bike but I still love it on easy mellow stuff too. With that being said I'd probably hate riding it at Patapsco.
Yeah Patapsco you need a good climbing bike for sure. I ideally want 160/150 bike but Trek doesn't have one in a 29er, they only have it for the remedy which is 27.5. The remedy is def on my shortlist as well tho, looks like an amazing bike.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,195 Posts
What in the world are you going to ride in real mountains if you need 150mm for the Shed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What in the world are you going to ride in real mountains if you need 150mm for the Shed?

What sort of comment is this lol. Im riding the shed on a 100mm Xc hardtail. I want something that can handle FR type riding and still be a solid all round AM bike.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The first time I went to Fountainhead I was on a 130mm travel GT Sensor. I still hit all of the "pro line" drops without any issues. The landings are pretty smooth so you don't need much. You aren't going to get anything even remotely close to freeride lines for the areas your riding.

Anything between 130 to 150mm would probably be your best bet so maybe look at some other brands if you're leaning toward 150.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I ride the same trails. Have a Jeffsy at 140 rear, 150 front. I feel like I would not want anything larger, except for if I were just to have it for shuttle days/ enduro races.

For a one bike solution something in the 130-140 range is probably about as good as you’re going to do for the area.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ride the same trails. Have a Jeffsy at 140 rear, 150 front. I feel like I would not want anything larger, except for if I were just to have it for shuttle days/ enduro races.

For a one bike solution something in the 130-140 range is probably about as good as you’re going to do for the area.

Cool. I was actually looking at the Jeffsy as well, are you on the 29er or 27.5?

·
g=9.764m/s2
711 Posts
I sold my Jeffsy 29 AL and my Izzo arrives this week. I bet I won’t notice the drop from 140 to 130 but the climbing efficiency should be a marked improvement:thumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the older model slash with 150/160 travel and very rarely use it all, weighing ~230 lbs and riding at susquehanna, fair hill, raystown, walls cook, gunpowder. I really wanted a new slash, but getting a bike with even more travel just didn't make sense for me, so sticking with my current one which is really a good trail bike these days...

Unless your are set on 29, you might look at the Remedy. I have one also, and it is more playful than the slash.

·
Registered
96 Posts
One more thought, I would not consider this, depending on your terrain you might want to keep your bottom bracket where it is...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts