1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
dressed to play
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

09 Session frame (medium) with 400lb Ti spring
09 Fox 40 (blue ti spring)
09 Saint cranks (165mm) with 38T E13 G Ring
09 Saint brakes with Goodrige hoses (203 fr and rear)
09 Saint rear mech (Super short)
09 Saint shifter
MRP G2 chainguide
Deemax front wheel
Chris King 150mm ISO hub on 823 rim (DT DB spokes & brass nipples)
Thomson X4 stem (50mm)
Azonic B52 bar (1 inch rise, uncut)
SDG Formula FX Ibeam saddle & post
Straitline pedals
Outland lock on grips
Michelin DH16 2.5 (tubeless with 2 scoops of Stans)
Dura ace 11-28 cassette
SRAM PC 991 chain

All in weight 39.79 lbs

Ho Hum, might be of interest to someone. Thought it might be a bit lower, but not too bothered.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Trek, but damn that's a nice looking bike. A lot more fluid and curvy than the boxy, angular Session 7 or 77.
Instead of worrying about how much it weighs, why aren't you out there shredding on it?
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Beautiful bike bro! Super sexy. Yeah, 39.75 IS light.

You could save a lot of weight by going XT instead of Saint cranks, a tiny bolt on seat clamp (unless u need the quick release), lighter bars?, lighter direct mount stem (Point One is really light), lose the stacion bumpers and put a couple tiny bumpers on the frame, maybe an XT shifter?, Syncro Mag Pedals (expensive and don't last long but, I like em) and maybe a PC 991 hollow point chain. All that would probably bring it down to 38. I would never go lighter wheels especially on a DH bike like this one where you would sacrifice strength.

Just a thought. I really like toying with my bike too so, hope you don't mind ;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Swap out the tires. Intense 909, WTB Dissent or even Maxxis High rollers are lighter.

Other than that, you've got full DH light components on there, whilst Trek has put AM components on the stock race model to minimize weight. It just goes to show that Trek has compromised with the stock components/tires to achieve a low weight. We'll see about long term lasting.

VERY nice bike though! :)

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Nice build. I wouldn't change a thing, unless you are willing to sacrifice performance to save a little bit of weight. Maybe the new Deemax which will save you a pound or so. If you are racing and willing to change taco'ed wheels often, you can go with lighter wheelset and thinner rim.

How does it compare to other DH bikes you had?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
MaxBS said:
Dont think hes really complaining...but it isnt as light as all the hype was. The hype was about the pics with it being 34 lbs. But I could build a nicolai to 36 lbs. Nice ride thought
It exactly as light as all the hype is. He put on heavier wheels, tires, bars, and stem. It comes stock at 38 lbs, but its got really light rims (king earls are like 540g or something) and single ply tires.

Plus, the one they built to 32 lbs had XC rims/hubs, modded BB for lighter 73mm cranks and plenty of other things. There are bikes that are 36 lbs out there that could drop even lower if they moved to xc hubs/rims.

Anyway, along with the sun, moorewood, and socom, the frame is one of the lightest out there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
William42 said:
It exactly as light as all the hype is. He put on heavier wheels, tires, bars, and stem. It comes stock at 38 lbs, but its got really light rims (king earls are like 540g or something) and single ply tires.

Plus, the one they built to 32 lbs had XC rims/hubs, modded BB for lighter 73mm cranks and plenty of other things. There are bikes that are 36 lbs out there that could drop even lower if they moved to xc hubs/rims.

Anyway, along with the sun, moorewood, and socom, the frame is one of the lightest out there.
Agreed i didnt mean theyre lying bout the weight. I meant that people were hyping how light the bike was, but as soon as you put tougher parts on the weight is far from like the stupid 34 lbs. Sure its light i just think the hype was unjustified as they had really light parts on it. Ofcourse, it is still light.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
I'll be blunt here. For such a hyped up and expensive bike, 39 lbs sucks, sorry. My friend built a Chumba F5 on a super short budget and that weighed about 37.8 lbs. I went through your parts spec and the only place I saw legitimate weight drops could be new wheels (Mavic 721's to Hope Pro II's) and Handlebars (Sunline V-1).

However, that build, is flipping awesome. Depending on how you view weight as a factor, that bike should tear it up. I really like it, don't let my above comment discourage you.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Your build is a very realistic one, congratulations on getting the weight down to what it is and that looks like it'll be a fun bike for shredding the gnar.

With that said, xt cranks, thomson seatpost and a road saddle, handlebar, pedals, tires, and wheels will all drop the weight... But the real question is at what cost? You will sacrifice durability to get to a lower weight. I say stick with what you have a have a ripping good time.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
his dudeness said:
Your build is a very realistic one, congratulations on getting the weight down to what it is and that looks like it'll be a fun bike for shredding the gnar.

With that said, xt cranks, thomson seatpost and a road saddle, handlebar, pedals, tires, and wheels will all drop the weight... But the real question is at what cost? You will sacrifice durability to get to a lower weight. I say stick with what you have a have a ripping good time.
Its an 83mm BB. No XT cranks.

Anyway, not mentioning ride quality, I don't know why the session is getting crap for its weight. It could ride like piss for all I care, its still lighter then everything else. Thats a solid build right there, but there isn't really anything weight weenie on it. The frame is the lightest DH frame on the market. If it weighs more then the other bikes out there, its because of build, not frame.

Saying "oh thats heavier then I expected" and blaming it on on the frame is retarded. It just means you have no idea what parts weigh about what.

God, I can't believe I'm defending the bike, I've always been one of trek's biggest detractors.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.