Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TREK SCRATCH 9

History:

In the stormy night of 23th December, the new Trek Scratch arrived in to my house. Were around 11 o'clock at night when my parents cheered me with a box that glowed in the dark of night. It looked like a kid, completely out of me, excited about the new toy.
I could not sleep just thinking about the bike.

Components

Frame: Alpha Red Aluminum w/ABP, Full Floater, alloy EVO Link, E2 tapered head tube, oversized pivot bearings, ISCG03 mounts, 142x12mm or 135x12mm rear axle, replaceable derailleur hanger, adjustable geometry, 170mm travel

Front Suspension: Fox 36 Float RC2 w/Fit cartridge, preload, hi/lo compression, rebound, alloy E2 tapered steerer, 20QR, 160mm

Rear Suspension: Fox DHX RC-4, custom "gravity tuned" w/externally adjustable velocity sensitive damping, bottom out force adjust and bottom out progressiveness, external rebound; 8.5x2.5" (future will be placed in a titanium spring)

Wheels:
- Hubs Hope Pro 2 Strait Pull - 20 mm (front) e 135x12 mm (rear) Black
- Spokes DT Swiss Comp (Black)
- Rims Notubes ZTR FLOW with Kit tubeless (Black)

Tires: Maxxis High Roller 26x2.35 Tubeless

Drivetrain:
- Shifters: SRAM XO CR Triggers
- Front Derailleur: Shimano XT direct mount
- Rear Derailleur: SRAM X0 CR
- Crank: Shimano XT (38/26 - FSA)
- Bash: Race Face 36T Light
- Cassette: SRAM 980 11-32 9v
- Chain: SRAM 980
- Pedals: Time Z-Control and Shimano M540 (Future will be replaced to CB Acid 2)

Components:
- Bar: Sunline VOne - 737 mm (low rise)
- Stem: Sunline Vone All Mountain 50 mm
- Headset: Cane Creek Frustum SE Light Edition, E2 (Blue)
- Brakeset: AVID Elixir CR Carbon (Black)
- Discs: Hope SAW Blue (203/185)
- Grips: Sunline Low Slime White or Acros Brancos with blue Locks
- Bolt Clamp: Hope Clamp Bolt blue
- Blackspire ISCG 03 Blue

Extras:
- Frame adapters for 135mm rear wheel
- Bike Computer BlackBurn Delphi 5.0

Components that have not yet reached:
- Saddle: Selle Itália SLR XC gel Flow white
- Seat Post: Kind Shock i900 Remote control - 2010 de 125 mm
- Pedals: Crank Brothers Acid 2
- Titanium spring (only after testing the steel spring)

Weight :
Weight with these components: 15kg

Frame Weight: 4100 gr with front derailleur, headset, Bontrager quick release and 12mm rear axle.

Frame Photos:

Components Photos:

I hope you enjoyed.

Best Regards

Nuno Nóbrega - N2

Portugal

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Nice colors and build.

Question- Can you take a pic of how close the chainrings are to the chainstays? I have a Remedy and am concerned that the 26-38 combo I have will hit the CS. I don't have a crank yet to mount them to though. Thanks, Fahn

·
Registered
339 Posts
First I have to say the bike looks amazing. I'm curious how the rear wheels fits in there. A 135 in Trek's new 142 spacing. I'm guessing there is an adapter in there? Do I smell an architecture student?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

I am very happy with the bike.

I have not had the opportunity to ride because is raining heavy in the Algarve/Portugal for a week.

I leave with you some videos of how to adjust the angle and the adapters for the axel 142/135mm

To place a transmission of 38/26 you have to put a bash for 36 teeth (in this case is perfectly and protects). With the chain tensioner and bash of 38 teeth are not compatible and hit each other.

My other bike was a Trek Remedy 9 08 and had this set of cranks.

Trek Remedy 9 Pics.

Trek Scratch 9

And yes i´m a Architect.

·
Custom User Title
371 Posts
Wow, that is one sweet ride!

Give us some riding impressions and videos when you get a chance. I am quite interested in the Scratch and would love to see it in action.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've got an 09 Remedy 9 and I'm dying to know how the two bikes compare to eachother. Can we get a breakdown on the type of riding and comparison once you get to ride it? Are you changing types of terrain and types of riding or will the Scratch be ridden exactly as the Remedy? Also interested in comparing climbing abilities of the Scratch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jeng said:
Awesome! Your parent bought you that?? I'm really fuggin jealous right now :thumbsup:
Unfortunately it was me who paid the bike.

I still did not ride it because it is raining a lot in Portugal ( about two weeks).
I had a Remedy 9 and so I can get a comparison between them. When I have some rides on it i will write a review about scratch and the type of terrain.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I weighed the frame with the quick release Bontrager, headset Cane Creek, front derailleur (shimano XT) and the 12mm axle and gave me 4100 gr.

It seems impossible but i didn´t ride the bike. It hava been raining a lot.

I only ride on the road about 6 Km and can say that does not pump anything. I jumped off a staircase and rear suspension works flawlessly. Looks like a couch.

Best regards

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
ngrn said:
I weighed the frame with the quick release Bontrager, headset Cane Creek, front derailleur (shimano XT) and the 12mm axle and gave me 4100 gr.

It seems impossible but i didn´t ride the bike. It hava been raining a lot.

I only ride on the road about 6 Km and can say that does not pump anything. I jumped off a staircase and rear suspension works flawlessly. Looks like a couch.

Best regards

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey Nuno,

can you measure the distance from the bottom bracket to the main swingarm pivot (center to center) for me? I'd like to check how far the chain would be of the main pivot when using a Hammerschmidt crank.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 62 Posts