Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1151 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been informed by my lbs that they wont be available in the UK "because they are making the sawyer in china the UK import duties on Chinese products are to high to make it worth while for Trek to import them here" That's what i was told and i don't believe a word of it tbh !!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Berkley said:
$1429 for a rigid bike with X.5 shifters?
I know! That's why I'm only buying the frame. Still trying to decide if I should instead put that money towards something really sweet like a carbon air 9 or something. Another bike I've had a crush on lately is the singular swift and all the black sheep's. I know, they're all completely different bikes. I wish I could just have all of them!

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
Berkley said:
$1429 for a rigid bike with X.5 shifters?
Exactly - see my post waaay up there ^^^^

People are falling all over themselves for the way it looks. Seems to be the new American way, style over substance, just look around to see how it's working out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well this thread is making me feel better about my choice. I was feeling bad about ordering the Trek Cobia over the Sawyer, but after reading this thread, I feel alot better about my choice. Also saved over $300.;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
bikecop said:
did you notice the little extra arch piece in the fork?
That arch in the fork looks to me like it would be a prime candidate for gunking up with wet leaves/snow/mud in the fall and winter. Looks pretty close to the top of the tire. It's definitley a neat looking frame. Though the headtube looks a little slack for tight new england riding at 69°. That would definitely be a frame I'd want to test ride before committing to.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
knightscape said:
Though the headtube looks a little slack for tight new england riding at 69°. That would definitely be a frame I'd want to test ride before committing to
This is really nothing new...it's the G2 geometry. They mitigate the slack HA with more fork offset.

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Indeed

rojogonzo said:
great for

Riding out the day's events.
As far as Gary Fisher and his "collection" goes, what you say about his company
is what you say about society. Catch the mist, catch the myth.
Catch the mystery, catch the drift. :D

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
tl1 said:
As far as Gary Fisher and his "collection" goes, what you say about his company
is what you say about society. Catch the mist, catch the myth.
Catch the mystery, catch the drift. :D
Well, thankfully...

1.) His mind is not for rent, to any god or government
2.) He's always hopeful, yet discontent
3.) He knows changes aren't permanent. But change is...

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sawyer price

I'll admit up front that I've already ordered one, but think I can see what the Trek bean counters were thinking when they spec'd/priced it this way. Compared to the $1,100 Cobia, the $1,429 Sawyer gets upgraded brakes, cranks, and cockpit bits that probably even much of the disparity in cost between the forks. Looking at the frames head-to-head then, it seems reasonable that the price per unit to develop and build a few thousand Sawyers out of nice quality steel (in Waterloo, I hope, although I'm not holding my breath) is going to cost way more than cranking out a bazillion more X-Cambias in Taiwan. I can see where it might cost an extra $300 to bring a Sawyer frame to market than a Cobia--that's less than the difference between a Niner EMD and MCR, for instance.

Agree that the component spec's not much to my liking, but Trek probably wouldn't sell any more of these at $2k with Superfly builds than it will at the lower price point. Many of the ones sold, including mine, will be stripped down and reconfigured with better and/or SS builds right away--sort of like the Motobecane donor bikes, but in reverse.

·
853+29+1x24=Fun
1,020 Posts
All this machinery making modern bicycles
Can still be open hearted
Not so coldly charted
It's really just a question of your honesty, yeah
Your honesty

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
anybody get to see one of these in person yet? if so, what was your impression?

also wondering if anybody knows when they will arrive in the shops. I was told mid january but the way some of these treks are rolling out earlier than expected who knows.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
jncarpenter said:
Well, thankfully...

1.) His mind is not for rent, to any god or government
2.) He's always hopeful, yet discontent
3.) He knows changes aren't permanent. But change is...

:thumbsup:
kev0153 said:
All this machinery making modern bicycles
Can still be open hearted
Not so coldly charted
It's really just a question of your honesty, yeah
Your honesty
I wish I had a machine to stab people in the eyes across the internet. Stabby stabby.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Seriously on the floor...

I wish I could add that little exchange to my signature...LOL. Funniest stuff I have seen all week on this forum! I don't know if there is enough room in my signature for the picture and the question, as well as people understanding the context of it. Plus it would peave people off due to how much room it would take up.

Good stuff for sure!

·
Registered
294 Posts
JHK Sawyer SS with "Platinum Tubing"

Like those bars.

41 - 60 of 1151 Posts