Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Trek are joining the 650B+ hardtail party!

All feature an Alpha Gold Aluminium frame, SUNringlé Duroc 40 SL rims, Schwalbe Rocket Ron tyres and boost hubs.

Roscoe 7

trek-roscoe-7-2018-model-black_A1672.jpg

Fork - RockShox Judy Silver TK, coil spring, 120mm
Shifters - Shimano Deore M6000, 10-speed
Rear derailleur - Shimano Deore M6000, Shadow Plus
Crank - FSA Gamma Pro, 28T
Bottom bracket - Sealed cartridge
Cassette - Shimano HG50, 11-42, 10-speed

Roscoe 8

trek-roscoe-8-2018-model-roarange_A1679.jpg

Fork - RockShox Judy Silver TK, Solo Air spring, 120mm
Shifters - SRAM NX, 11-speed
Rear derailleur - SRAM NX, Roller Bearing Clutch
Crank - SRAM NX, 28T Direct Mount X-Sync
Cassette - SRAM PG-1130, 11-42, 11-speed

Seatpost - Dropper post, Bontrager lever, 31.6 mm, internal routing

Roscoe 9

trek-roscoe-9-2018-model-black_A1686.jpg

Fork - RockShox Recon, Solo Air, 120mm
Shifters - Shimano SLX M7000, 11-speed
Rear derailleur - Shimano Deore XT M8000, Shadow Plus
Crank - Race Face Aeffect, 28T Direct Mount Narrow-Wide
Cassette - Shimano SLX M7000, 11-46, 11-speed
Seatpost - Dropper post, Bontrager lever, 31.6 mm, internal routing

·
Registered
372 Posts
Like the 9. Good spec actually a 1X11 with a low enough gear for an old guy to get up the mountain. Not crazy about the flo-green accents, would like to have seen a Reba fork but overall, I like it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like the 9. Good spec actually a 1X11 with a low enough gear for an old guy to get up the mountain. Not crazy about the flo-green accents, would like to have seen a Reba fork but overall, I like it.
If you want something more substantial then the Norco Torrent is what you're looking for!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Any more info on the Roscoe? I'm in the market for a plus hardtail for a second bike and this exactly what I'm looking for. Any ideas on U.S. MSRP price? How about brakes?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any more info on the Roscoe? I'm in the market for a plus hardtail for a second bike and this exactly what I'm looking for. Any ideas on U.S. MSRP price? How about brakes?
There's an embargo on further information for another two weeks. Dealers will tell you some details but there's not much more than basic specs and a price.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I guess the 9er comes in at ~1400$ (also in €); available in EUR ~ mid august.
I've compared a lot in the last days (27.5+, 29" trail HTs) - for the price of the 9er I can't find anything with similar specs. Especially the 11-46 and the dropper eliminate most competitors. Imho a good value for that price.
If he geo etc fits and since I'll get a discount I guess I'll swap the brakes from the scratch (at least SLX) and buy another front wheel with 29" x 2.4".
Btw. I'm pretty sure in the next years there will show up more bikes which have actually Plus on the rear (for traction) and something smaller on the front (better steering, less bouncing).

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The orange colour on the Roscoe 8 looks amazing in the Trekworld video (Spain?). I'd love to swap out the frame for that!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Comparing this to a Norco Fluid 650b+ (67.5 degrees) I'd guess the head angle is 68 degrees which isn't that steep compared to a Scott Scale which is 66.5 degrees.

I could be wrong of course but we'll find out in August when bikes start dropping and Trek's system gets another update.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The new Roscoes look pretty nice. I'm not sure if I'd want a new bike with that 141 quick release rear set-up, but I still ride an old 135 qr and it's been fine.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mainly because I'm a heavier rider and I ride more aggressively than I used to, so I think I'd rather have a Boost thru-axle for peace of mind.
It's not really needed as the fixed stays provide the axle strength needed. Flexier arrangements such as fork legs and suspension stays are the reason for through axles.

It also adds no real cost addition to the frame.

At least that's what I read for the reason for the 141 QR standard.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Comparing this to a Norco Fluid 650b+ (67.5 degrees) I'd guess the head angle is 68 degrees which isn't that steep compared to a Scott Scale which is 66.5 degrees....

Yep, I also think it will be around 68°. You mean "isn't that
slack compared to a Scott Scale?

On sunday I sat on a Last FastForward- also a very nice bike.

The orange of the 8er reminds me of the 2015 TR Patrol in safety orange - nice color, but imho not for every day
:)

edit:
the edit function is so messed up....is this only on my side?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Looking for a ride for my 10 year old...rosco 8 with air fork looks promising

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Lone Wolf
1,790 Posts
That Trek Roscoe 9 spec sheet reads just like my Scott Scale 720 plus, excluding the gearing choice,,but for $400 less :p

The Trek, 28t up front and 11-46 out back,, wow that's low low and not very tall..

Mines a 32t chain ring and the 11-42 out back.
I never seem to need a lower gear and I often find myself spinning in tenth gear, have been known to hang In 11th with a tail wind on the level fire roads :p

I almost got that 11-46 cassette until I saw IMHO the WAY too wide jump up to that 46 tooth sprocket,
didn't like that..

My 11-42 cassette goes from a 37 tooth cog to the 42 and It's a BIG jump.
Can be a real revolution buster during a steep climb.
The 11-46 I understand jumps from the same 37 tooth up to the 46 tooth...
Spinning a 28T and that 46Tooth,,I doubt I could hold that cadence for long
No thank you......

·
Lone Wolf
1,790 Posts
Yeah true, I didn't know until I rode slack and all It took was a single figure eight in my front yard..
But everybody Is different so 68 degree may be better for some people.

We are Talking about Trek here, I own one of their bikes and It Is really dialed.
So dialed I left It stock....

Just sayin ~

1 - 20 of 272 Posts