Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Bikes have used quick releases for a long time. They work fine, especially on a hardtail. If the QR came loose as one person mentioned get a better QR. I've had more thru axles come loose. You know those cheap ones with the plastic shim on the cam of the lever portion. Same goes with older style 9mm QR hubs. Ditch those QR with plastic.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Instead of trying to source that obscure Trek 10x135 axle you may as well go for the much more readily available DT Swiss RWS 10x135 thru-bolt.

It has the convenient RWS ratchet mechanism, and will bolt into a 141mm dropout as the nut is a full 18mm long with plenty of "spare" thread for 135 vs 141mm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Instead of trying to source that obscure Trek 10x135 axle you may as well go for the much more readily available DT Swiss RWS 10x135 thru-bolt.

It has the convenient RWS ratchet mechanism, and will bolt into a 141mm dropout as the nut is a full 18mm long with plenty of "spare" thread for 135 vs 141mm.

So if I use this thru-bolt I won’t need to buy washers to compensate? Like the OP did

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Scott I’m trying to put together a similar setup but I’m not exactly sure what parts to get there’s some conflicting part numbers as for the Hope hub and also whether the conversion kit is hub239 or hub238

Also online the naming of the free bodies is different. Does the NX Cassette use the Shimano or HG freebody?

Also you mentioned with this setup the cassette is slightly off compared to stock, were you able to accommodate with simply adjusting the deurailer or was anything else required?

Also why are you using a hope 148 hub when the frame drop out is 141 and hope makes a 142 hub is it because the end caps conversion make it different? I’m confused please help. I can also list the parts I’m planning to buy if you could tell me if it will work and if I need anything else. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s easier to just stick with a boost 141 configuration. I’m an intermediate rider that has a Roscoe 8. At 1200 miles my rear hub is sounding like a gravel mixer. I’m planning on a new wheel set with Hope Pro 2 hubs. I am going with their 148x12 boost rear hub and swap the cups out for a QD set.

Brad
Hi just wondering if I wanted to do this to my roscoe 7 is it possible? Since it’s a boost 141 and not 148? Can I swap the rear hub for the same hope pro 2 hub?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Trek Roscoe 7 and would like to clarify something with this post. This is not a true conversion to a through axel. If anything it's just a beefier QR set up not a tru axel. A true tru axel would threat directly into the frame or hanger. IMO it sucks that Trek makes it a QR but I get it for an intro level bike setup. I wish I thought about that when I bought the bike but live and learn. That being said I bought some DT Swiss wheels (DT Swiss Hubs) used and was able to convert them pretty easy with caps on the ends of hubs. Those wheels are 29's and i also have the original 27+. I just swap them out with the cassette if I want two ride the 27+. Although I find myself just running the 29s all the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Trek Roscoe 7 and would like to clarify something with this post. This is not a true conversion to a through axel. If anything it's just a beefier QR set up not a tru axel. A true tru axel would threat directly into the frame or hanger. IMO it sucks that Trek makes it a QR but I get it for an intro level bike setup. I wish I thought about that when I bought the bike but live and learn. That being said I bought some DT Swiss wheels (DT Swiss Hubs) used and was able to convert them pretty easy with caps on the ends of hubs. Those wheels are 29's and i also have the original 27+. I just swap them out with the cassette if I want two ride the 27+. Although I find myself just running the 29s all the time.

DT Swiss Rear End Caps - QR x 135/142mm are the end caps I bought work fine. I have had it come loose once so have it extra cranked down.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts