Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I may have found a solution for the QR rear axle and be able to put in 10mm thu-bolt axle in its place.
You would obviously have to change the rear hub. I can verify that HOPE makes one with the correct 10mm end caps that would work. I have heard that DT Swiss also makes the a hub that will, but can't verify that.

The axle would be a true OEM Trek part and the serrated washers would be an anodized color and possible have an option besides black.

How many people would be honestly interested in this conversion? I know there seems to be a lot of the HT bikes that are using the 141mm BOOST rear spacing. My guess would be around $85 for the axle and washers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I got the Trek axle today. Checked it and it fits. I just need to order a Hope hub now. I'm excited that this will work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Scott - What is the benefit? I updated my hubs by converting boost hubs to 141QR by changing the end caps. I've had no issues with the integrity of the hub but admittedly I'm not pushing the limits either. Trying to understand your motivation for the change?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tom973 - When I bought the bike, a lot of people were bitching about the QR on the rear hub and "oh, I would never buy that bike because of it". I was letting them know I found an option for the Roscoe and I'm assuming the other bikes that are running the 141mm BOOST rear.
I can see where it would stiffen up the rear because there are less points of area that can flex. I have not tested this, so it is just my opinion.

I have ordered and received the axle and confirmed it fits in the frame and will work with the 141mm spacing. I am in the process of ordering a Hope hub to lace up.

I was just letting the people that said they would buy this bike if it had a 10mm thru-bolt, that there is an option.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tom973 - When I bought the bike, a lot of people were bitching about the QR on the rear hub and "oh, I would never buy that bike because of it". I was letting them know I found an option for the Roscoe and I'm assuming the other bikes that are running the 141mm BOOST rear.
I can see where it would stiffen up the rear because there are less points of area that can flex. I have not tested this, so it is just my opinion.

I have ordered and received the axle and confirmed it fits in the frame and will work with the 141mm spacing. I am in the process of ordering a Hope hub to lace up.

I was just letting the people that said they would buy this bike if it had a 10mm thru-bolt, that there is an option.
Cool thanks for sharing. IMO the Roscoe is one of the best values out there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any more info on this?

Thanks!

Brad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BMP - I got a set of new wheels built with the Hope hubs and same NX cassette. Everything bolts up and works. I did not transfer the rear brake rotor over from the old set as I ordered a full Hope brake setup and waiting on that.
The only thing I am bummed about was that I was hoping to use the stock wheelset as a backup and run street tires on them and swap between the 2 sets. The problem I am having is the cassette placement is off just enough that I need to adjust the derailleur more than I thought and it's kind of a pain in the butt. I don't want to take that much time to play with it each time I swap. So at this point, I am thinking of scrapping the stock wheels and just run the built up set of wheels.

·
Registered
43 Posts
BMP - I have also converted to a different rear wheel but elected to maintain the use of the QR rear axle. Contrary to popular belief you can convert many boost 148 rear hubs to 141qr simply by changing end caps. It allows for more hub options. Admittedly Scott's approach may be the stronger option but I've had no issues using a QR setup.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,486 Posts
BMP - I got a set of new wheels built with the Hope hubs and same NX cassette. Everything bolts up and works. I did not transfer the rear brake rotor over from the old set as I ordered a full Hope brake setup and waiting on that.
The only thing I am bummed about was that I was hoping to use the stock wheelset as a backup and run street tires on them and swap between the 2 sets. The problem I am having is the cassette placement is off just enough that I need to adjust the derailleur more than I thought and it's kind of a pain in the butt. I don't want to take that much time to play with it each time I swap. So at this point, I am thinking of scrapping the stock wheels and just run the built up set of wheels.
If the two cassettes on your wheels fail to line up but the discrepancy isn't great, you may be able to use a spacer to move the more inboard cassette out so it shares the same spacing as the other. Standard bottom bracket spacers work to space cassettes on Shimano freehubs.

Like these from Wheels Manufacturing:
https://wheelsmfg.com/products/bottom-bracket-parts/cup-spacers.html

The spacers are available in various thicknesses from .7mm to 2.5mm

If you're using a SRAM XD driver/cassette, then I don't know a way. Sorry I'm not familiar enough with the Roscoe to know which freehub system they use, Shimano or SRAM.
=sParty

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tom973 - I didn't have any problems with the very little time I had the OEM hub in place. I just wanted to see if it could be done. I like to have my stuff overbuilt so I never have to worry about some things. After doing the research, I decided I wanted less points of flex, so this worked (in my mind).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the two cassettes on your wheels fail to line up but the discrepancy isn't great, you may be able to use a spacer to move the more inboard cassette out so it shares the same spacing as the other. Standard bottom bracket spacers work to space cassettes on Shimano freehubs.

Like these from Wheels Manufacturing:
https://wheelsmfg.com/products/bottom-bracket-parts/cup-spacers.html

The spacers are available in various thicknesses from .7mm to 2.5mm

If you're using a SRAM XD driver/cassette, then I don't know a way. Sorry I'm not familiar enough with the Roscoe to know which freehub system they use, Shimano or SRAM.
=sParty
Thanks, I will look into it. I believe the new hub is just a hair wider, so I would need to put the spacer on the stock wheel cassette. I used a Shimano freehub so I could use the same model SRAM NX cassette.
My plan is to measure from end of spacer to middle of cassette on both hubs and see where the difference is and may try to get stock wheels to match new wheels. If not, I'll just sell the stock wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thread looks dead, but I just got a Roscoe 7 and am looking to do the same by building a set of hybrid/road wheels. Since I'm pretty new to the hobby, I was wondering if it made more sense to convert to the more common thru axle standard or just convert a hub to boost141 by changing endcaps

·
Registered
21 Posts
It’s easier to just stick with a boost 141 configuration. I’m an intermediate rider that has a Roscoe 8. At 1200 miles my rear hub is sounding like a gravel mixer. I’m planning on a new wheel set with Hope Pro 2 hubs. I am going with their 148x12 boost rear hub and swap the cups out for a QD set.

Brad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I looked into building a similar set up and it might be a little cost prohibitive for me at the moment considering I've just got the bike and really just started to give trail riding a serious go. I may wait until I'm in a similar position where my hub is crapping out and then build a set of 29ers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just recently purchased a Roscoe 7 and have been pushing the bike very hard. The quick release came loose 2 times during hard riding. Could you tell me the exact parts you had to buy for the conversion to work. I will just buy all the parts and have my local bike shop do the work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it a conversion like this one ?

https://youtu.be/9ZCSaYIo8Ec

Or did you modify the dropouts on your frame somehow ? I'm less concerned with my QR coming loose likemuffins but more interested in having a wider selection of wheelsets to upgrade into and making aligning the rear wheel easier when removing and replacing the rear, which my link doesn't address imo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello All,

This is what I ended up using. I have helped a couple of other members here, so the part that I link to ebay for the axle, the seller is out of, but it at least gives you the part number from Trek, so your dealer might be able to order it.

Hello,

Glad someone is actually interested in this. LOL
So I bought purple hubs, but you can watch this video to get part numbers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDWyycNC5pU&t=19s

Note, this is not my video, but the one i referenced when putting my stuff together. The part number I have on mine is RHP428PU148ST. You will also need the 10mm thru axle conversion ends. #HUB239. you just pop off the end and put these in. As for the axle, I bought this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/135x10-Rear...e/401732271378

And then I also bought 3/8 alloy nut kits just for the washers.

https://planetbmx.com/shop/shadow-conspiracy-26tpi-alloy-nuts-3/8-in-colors.html

I need that to take up some of the spacing. It works out really well. I believe I torqued it to 15 ft lbs. I bought black ones, but it seems that black ones are really hard to find now.

I can't remember If I had to use a 1mm shim behind the cassette. I built a new set of wheels off the hope hubs and also kept the stock set. I remember having to use a shim, just don't remember which set had it. NOTE If you're not going to swap wheels back and forth, the shim is not needed (again, I don't recall if it was on OEM wheelset or Hope wheelset).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts