Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been meaning to start a thread for ages about my 2019 Trek Remedy 8. I bought it just over two years ago and whilst I love the bike I immediately felt a bit cramped on it. The old saying I felt on top of the bike rather than in the bike springs to mind.

I also own a 2014 Fuel Ex 8 and a Scott Scale 970. The reach/top tube length on each of these is very similar whereas the Remedy is 20mm shorter. In addition the Remedy has a modern 50mm stem whereas both the older bikes have a 70mm stem so this just exasperated the feeling of feeling cramped on the bike.

I had been meaning to post to ask the forum about adding a 70-80mm stem to enhance the fit but also to perhaps change the tyres from the 2.6mm width that came as stock to something more like 2.4mm. I guess I was considering changing the bike to more of a trail/XC bike versus the trail/enduro that is it's natural heritage.

Long story short I really should be riding a Fuel vs a Remedy for the type of trails I typically ride but I bought this bike on a whim two years ago when it was on special and given how much the price of bikes has increased there is no way I'm upgrading to a modern Fuel anytime soon. The Remedy still rides great and I thoroughly enjoy it it's just more bike than I need.

Which brings me to the topic of this thread. After a prolonged break from regular riding I have recently gotten back into it and have been riding the Remedy almost exclusively. I jumped on the Scale hardtail recently for a gravel ride and it felt too stretched out. I wasn't comfortable and now prefer the fit of the Remedy.

So I guess within reason there is no perfect fit. Just a range that will work depending on your riding style and what you're comfortable with.

BTW I'm 5'7 on a 17.5 (M) Remedy. The Fuel is also 17.5 and the Scale is small.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,938 Posts
You could put a longer stem on your Remedy. No reason why that won't work, it's just a bit counter to current bike handling trends, which generally hold that most folks "should" optimally be riding a 40-50mm stem.

BUT... you gotta make your bike fit. Do what you must. It'll be okay. We all used to ride 120mm stems. Not kidding. This was only like, 10-12 years ago.

As for your question about, "do you just get used to the bike you're riding?", yeah, people can do that. But again, not optimally. Measure the bike you have that fits you perfectly and then look for a frame that comes up with similar numbers (reach, stack, etc.) If you don't already have a bike that fits you perfectly, then go with the manufacturer's sizing guide.
=sParty

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's the thing. I had been considering it for a while but after a break from riding I'm now enjoying the fit of the Remedy. The other two bike feel stretched out now. But I hear what you're saying re the stem. Modern bikes are all about 40-50mm whereas it used to be up to 120mm. Even on my Scale I ran a 90mm stem (vs the stock 70mm stem) in order to get a more stretched out 'aero' position. But I've gone back to the stock stem. I have the seat jammed all the way back on the rails on the Remedy whereas the other two are more centered.

Anyway I'm feeling pretty comfortable on the Remedy right now and won't be rushing into anything. At 5'7 I'd say I have short legs and probably average length torso.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
So I guess within reason there is no perfect fit. Just a range that will work depending on your riding style and what you're comfortable with.
Lotta truth there. My fat bike is a bit on the short side. After the first hour or so once the snow flies, I never think about it for the rest of the winter.

FWIW, I run a -- gasp -- 80 mm stem and 2.4 tires, and am not known for slowing the group down. 🙃

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I also own a 2014 Fuel Ex 8 and a Scott Scale 970. The reach/top tube length on each of these is very similar whereas the Remedy is 20mm shorter. In addition the Remedy has a modern 50mm stem whereas both the older bikes have a 70mm stem so this just exasperated the feeling of feeling cramped on the bike.
Is that correct?

According to the geo charts I found online show the Remedy to have 5mm more reach, but 12mm less top tube length in high position(steeper seat tube angle).

Read up on Lee Likes Bikes method of sizing and RAD and RAAD. Depending on what you're after will help determine how to best 'fit' the bike to your body. For a more aggressive XC fit, you will want to be more stretched out, Ie longer stem, negative rise, slammed. But for a more comfortable seated position and to be able to 'shred' that might not be the best.

There's some great YouTube videos explaining this (much better than I can) as well.

"Joy of Bike"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.