Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a true all mountain bike, currently ride a trek 2013 cobia 29er, Been reading countless articles/forums on frames, components, aftercare etc.

I seem to have narrowed it down to the following bikes (based mostly on what is available from a few local bike shops)

1) Trek Remedy 9, stock spec @ £3700

2) Banshee Rune- cane creek shock
Rockshox Pike
Renthal Fatbar
Renthal Duo stem
Hope Grips
Stans flow rims on Hope pro 2 evo hubs
Rockshox Reverb
Shimano XT groupset and brakes
WTB saddle and tyres
Hope headset
About £3850

3)Intense Tracer 275 with Fox CTD kashima
Rockshox Pike
Renthal Fatbar
Renthal Duo stem
Hope Grips
Stans flow rims on Hope pro 2 evo hubs
Rockshox Reverb
Shimano XT groupset and brakes
WTB saddle and tyres
Hope headset
About £4150

Currently have a Medium frame. I'm 5'11" & 10 stone, so its not like the bike has to deal with a big lump of a rider.

Anyone had any problems with anything above? Give some advice on the above (I know I should go to demo days and try the bikes out but time is limited, going to the alpes in a couple of months, so need to get something asap to get used to riding it.

Cheers for any help

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would go for the Rune because of the cane creek DB air. Best shock if you are into messing around with tunning knobs. The geometry is more suited for bike park /free ride than racing so it is probably the most fun bike out of those three, and you can easily convert it to 650b.

If you get into racing, probably the 27.5 wheels have an advantage. In this case go for the Tracer. I have heard that Intense bikes require high maintenance, other than that they work pefrect.

Trek remedy is a great bike, you won't go wrong with it either, but I believe it comes with fox suspension, wich is a little bit below the RS pike in terms of damping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers

I should have said I was going to fit 650B wheels.
Need to do a reasonable amount of XC with it at times, would be nice to move to a bike that pedals similar to my current 29er hardtail. First of all I was gunna go with the Rune but a little unsure about the frame weight..

·
Registered
85 Posts
The intense is then going to be worth the extra money, but keep in mind that it will never pedal nearly as good as aa 29er hardtail. If it is possible, keep the 29er and have both bikes until you're sure you want to stay with only one bike. I tell you this because I regret selling my cannondale F29.

I would suggest also to look for a more in-between all mtn bike like a mojo HDR or Kona process 134. You can take those bikes anywhere despite running less travel and will be much better suited for pedaling.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I love my Rune! To me it sums up what a AM bike should be able to do. Climb, decent, rip downhill and be tons of fun. You dont have to force it to have fun just let it rip and it takes whatever you can throw at it. Shortly after letting a friend ride mine he ordered a Spitfire setup as 27.5 and has been super happy with it as well.

The Tracer was one that I was considering as well but after some research I went with the Rune.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should of said in my first post that I am going to keep my 29er (wont be worth much 2nd hand and I love it),
Been emailing back and forth with a local bike shop about the rune and the tracer frames. The guy recommends I go for the Tracer, says they have never had a problem and aftercare is great but reading online it seems to suggest a different story. The weight difference between the 2 custom setups seems to be about 1kg heavier for the rune, 13.8kg approx. Should i be putting much thought into that 1kg difference??

Cheers
Stevo

·
Registered
249 Posts
I never tested those bikes or anything but I never heard bad reviews about them either, but if I were you I would get the Rune, the Fox rear shox is nothing compared to a Cane Creek, and 13.8kg isn't that heavy for an all-mountain bike, my bike is 28-ish lbs and I have no problem going up steep climbs and riding some XC.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
IIRC and it's been awhile but I seem to remember something about the Tracers cracking. Pretty sure that's the reason I decided to stay away since I'm a heavier rider.

I could be wrong so do some research.

·
beater
6,188 Posts
There were some issues with the yokes being over machined and cracking, IIRC. That was also in the first generation, and well in the past. Intense doesn't do much for me personally, but I wouldn't let those long-ago reports sway you if that's what you're interested in. I do think Banshee has AM geometry nailed with the Rune and Prime (I have the latter).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.