Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SO, I just picked up my new bike tonight. I am calling it a Remedy 9.10.

I will have photos tomorrow night but here is the spec.

Trek Remedy 9.8.

Upgraded.....

Fork to a Rockshox Pike dual air 130 -160.
Drivetrain to SRAM XX1 x 11
Wheels to Mavic crossmax Enduro

Going to upggrade brakes from XT to XTR, but as good as the XT brakes are I may wait a little while.

I could have gone more with the wheels but the price to weight ratio on the mavic was just so good.

Need to get a shorter stem and wider bar but the small stuff will come later.

I am hoping that this will be an enduro race machine

Photos tomorrow.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weight is 27.3 lbs for a 21.5" (I love metric pounds) with stock shop flat pedals. I will change them to xtr s off another bike soon. XT Brakes will be going to my girlfriends new bike so will wait till it comes before I splurge again.
Only ridden it on the road so far (still snowy here). and it feels pretty good for a 5/6" bike. Some people suggest it climbs faster then a 29er but I wouldnt say that it is faster than my superfly. Not complaining at all, it is pretty quick. Cant wait to see how the PIKE goes down hill. The wheels look pretty sick I have to say.
The XX1 is absolutely flawless. the only setup that would shift better would be a single speed

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am 5'10. The XL fits me perfectly and will be great with a shorter than stock stem. Going to a 50mm.
After my first ride on it I now may sell my Superfly. It is just that good. Climbs over technical stuff very well and descends like a champ. Extreme confidence inspiration. the wheels are stiff and light and it just tractors over anything in its way.
I was going to get the slash and am glad that I went the way of the remedy. I do not know what the longer fork does to the geometry, but I am guessing it raked the bike out a little. Apart from "full o downhilling and free riding" I do not think that there is much I would not ride on this bike.
Definately the quiver of one

·
N/A
236 Posts
Wow. Just goes to show there is a lot of variation in setup and its good to try before you buy. I'm 5'10" and the M fits me perfectly with a 50mm stem. (I'd probably run a 70mm if I didnt have other bikes for long epic days.) I can't even stand over an XL with both feet on the ground.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i am kind of a gangly ugly freak with long arms and legs. As you said, it goes with a demo. If it fits it fits. I sat on a large slash and my girlfriend who knows very little said i looked like a giant on a dwarfs bike. - Just goes to show. I have close to 6" of standover clearance on the 21.5". I do kind of feel a little high on the bike but that dissappears pretty quickly.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Nice bike ,
I just bought the Pike solo 150 for my Remedy 9.8. Not so sure how the black fork is going to look with the white grey n red paint but will see. Didn't want to go for the dual air 160 which comes in white . I didn't think I would use the dual adjustment feature that much.
The white would have been a better color for the 9.8 I think well see.
Waiting for the Ibis wide wheels 41mm to come out.
Was a bit undecided about the 150 or the 160 fork. Decided to go with the 150 since the bike handles so well like it is with the Fox 140.
Anyone know what the stock crown race is for the Remedy 9.8 ? Are who makes it ?
I want to buy another one and have each fork set up ready to swap out if I have to.
I think its an FSA- IS-2, E2, sealed cartridge bearing head set . Not sure where I could get one ? I will post a picture when the fork is on the bike. Also anyone have any issues with the Comp Bonty wheels leaking air ? Mine bleed off allot after every ride. I think I am going to try and change tubeless sealant to Orange . I am running the Bonty rim strips but they leak around the valve stem .

·
Registered
140 Posts
I demo'd the 9.8 this weekend. I normally ride 17.5 Stumpy HT but needed the 18.5 on the Trek. I think they run small. I have to say it did well, front felt solid and I did not really notice much if any bob when pedaling. I also did not notice any really difference between my 29er and how the Trek rolled over roots and rocks. It is now at the top of my list for my next bike. Curious if there is any real difference between the carbon frame and the aluminum frame other than the money.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I rode hard-tails 29ers for the last 10 years . When I tried the Remedy I didn't want a squishy rear end or front end when I climb I flip the shock and fork to climb and its almost like a hard tail expect for the weight. I couldn't tell you the difference between the two materials Carbon or aluminum because I have never compared them . My last few hard tails were carbon. They say it doesn't matter with suspension. I just think Carbon is a better material all around just my own thought. Yes the top tubes on the Remedy's are small

·
Rocks belong
5,371 Posts
Just found this, so I thought I'd add my Remedy 10 alloy build

'14 Remedy 9 frameset

Upgrades:

35mm hookless carbon wheels w/ XR4 & XR3 2.35 TLR Team Issue tires

160 27.5 Pike RCT3 Solo Air
Push DRCV air volume spacer (must do $25 upgrade for anyone riding their Remedy hard!)

SRAM XO Crankset
SRAM XO shifter, X9 T2 rear D
Wolftooth 42T + Absolute Black 32T oval narrow/wide chain ring

777mm On One Knuckleball carbon handlebar orange/white
55mm Easton Haven stem
Orange Race Face lock on grips

28lbs ready to ride

Swapped bikes with my buddy this weekend. He has a Bronson C with a Float X and Fox 36 up front.

Riding up a steep, paved access road, my ABP rear end was quieter than his VPP Bronson.
I honestly felt my Remedy was plusher (and still had plenty of big hit support)

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.