Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i'm fed up with my deluxe rct reactiv from my trek remedy 9 RSL 2017 (full floater frame) so i picked up a brand new 230x60 super deluxe rct for a good price, now my project begins.

knowing little about shocks (but mechanically minded) so i'll learn along the way. is it as simple as just swapping the damper shaft over as i need the eyelet not bearing mount and also add in the blue trek spacer 10mm (will need drilling) to the super deluxe along with its grey spacer 12.7mm as well ? (thinking i'll put 3 drops of super glue to key them together but not enough so i can separate them if needed)

i have tried the super deluxe 230x60 shock in the frame deflated to see if i could just run it without travel limiting and make up custom bushings to mate the bearing mount but it bottoms on the frame plus i would be 170 in back 160 up front not ideal.

Has anyone done this let me know any hick ups i might come across as once i start my bikes out for however long it takes me and i dont wanna start till i have all the right tools like a ifp valve adapter is all i'll need ? plus calipers for ifp oil height

also rockshox 7wt oil for the ifp damper is maxima plush 7wt cst @40 30.4 @100 7.3 visco index 218

i like the look of WPL oils as there environmentally friendly
7wt 25.8 cSt 6.6 cSt 230 think thats close enough

also always wondered does a progressive frame rate vs linear effect the weight oil viscosity choice ?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,837 Posts
Rockshox 7wt isn't 30cSt Maxima Plush. It's [email protected] Which matches a Maxima 7wt fork oil, but not in colour or VI.

I don't know exactly why RS used heavier oil in some of their rear shocks, but it may be to reduce noise.

As far as environmental impact goes, they tell you to dispose of it in landfill! Our waste mineral oil gets burnt to provide heat for hydroponic lettuce: http://instagr.am/p/Bu2b81SFFcD/

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Oil viscosity has very little effect on the super deluxe damping, so you may as well go with a higher VI oil like the WPL 2.5, which is what I use in most dampers including sdlx

Otherwise your transplant should go fine, you don’t even need to glue the travel spacer the bottom out o-ring will keep it all together

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so the whole viscosity thing is elusive one site says one thing then another something else, very conflicting and doesn't help they label things incorrect.

regardless WPL 2.5wt can be used in a super deluxe are in future looks like it will do for the charger 2 damper in my pike ? which dougal just serviced and did a great job on the fork thanks mate.

·
Registered
11,837 Posts
ok so the whole viscosity thing is elusive one site says one thing then another something else, very conflicting and doesn't help they label things incorrect.

regardless WPL 2.5wt can be used in a super deluxe are in future looks like it will do for the charger 2 damper in my pike ? which dougal just serviced and did a great job on the fork thanks mate.
This is the oil in your Pike: https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/hot-oil-green-250-cc-shockcraft.html

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,173 Posts
As far as environmental impact goes, they tell you to dispose of it in landfill! Our waste mineral oil gets burnt to provide heat for hydroponic lettuce: http://instagr.am/p/Bu2b81SFFcD/
When is ShockKraft opening a US/Canada/Costa Rican operation? If so, I'd like to apply (with no requisite experience lol). You do good work and love the transparency.

·
Registered
11,837 Posts
When is ShockKraft opening a US/Canada/Costa Rican operation? If so, I'd like to apply (with no requisite experience lol). You do good work and love the transparency.
We may have to open a shipping centre one day! For now we need a bigger workshop where we are!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have done this exact same modification, starting with a 2018 Remedy 7, and now on my 2019 Remedy 9.9 frame.

The only difference in the stroke length on the 230x60 Super Deluxe RCT shock that I was able to find is that the "blue" (Grey in the Super Deluxe) spacer in the 60mm shocks is 5mm, while in the Trek 57.5mm shocks its 7.5mm. I read and recorded somewhere on here, that there is a slight difference in IFP depth if you change it from 60 to 57.5, but I have yet to see any adverse effects from leaving it in the stock 60 depth. I will be giving the shock a complete service in the next day or two and will post my findings.

I fashioned a 2.5mm spacer out of PVC, put it on the shock shaft, and the Super Deluxe has worked perfectly ever since. That was back in October 2018. Since then, its run on a ten day cycling holiday in New Zealand, two multi day trips to Skyline Queenstown bike park with over 50 runs in the park, and heaps of shuttle runs/riding in my home town trails in Adelaide, Australia (Troy Brosnans local trails!) It has performed flawlessly with no faults or problems. I have purchased the proper 57.5 damper shaft kit from World Wide Cyclery and intend to install it into the shock with the spacer bored out to the Super Deluxe Shaft size.

Ill post pics of my PVC spacer tomorrow, for now here is the shock in the Remedy 9.9 and the ReAktiv shock next to it showing the identical sizing with the spacer.

EDIT: Just noticed you got the Super Deluxe from a Santa Cruz donor frame. You may need to look at getting the correct damper body and eyelet for the shock, as I'm not sure that bearing mount will work correctly with the frame or mount hardware. Jump on World Wide Cyclery's website and they should be able to order the part for you, i included a pic with the Part number. Otherwise you should be able to transplant the one from your existing shock with no issues, but should something muck up you will be without a shock to use on both. If you're not in the biggest rush I will be taking my Super deluxe apart to service and put the correct damper body on either tomorrow or Thursday at the latest, happy to share the findings and let you know if everything fits in nicely.

Bicycle accessory Transport Bicycle part Black Bicycle

Product Technology Machine Electric blue Suspension part

Metal Data storage device Material property Circle Label

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey nick thanks for sharing this is awesome to see someone else doing it, maybe i will order the parts like you then i can do back to back testing of the old shock also as i was going too pull the blue 7.9mm ish spacer (and drill to 12.7) and take off the damper body of my trek shock.

also the manual says for ifp oil heights
45 - 65 mm shock stroke: 33 mm
75 mm shock stroke: 39 mm
plus you need to buy there ifp bleed tool flipping expensive.....pg 46

https://www.sram.com/sites/default/..._rev_d_2018_super_deluxe_service_manual_0.pdf

anyways i gotta jet to work keep me posted mate

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so looks like i need the rockshox ifp bleed tool 00.4318.012.009 one in the picture, flipping expensive piece of pipe... also i love how they made the sizes of the crowsfoot wrench mainstream sizes like 21mm and 31mm so they can sell you there special tools. well rockshox i'll be 1mm shimming out my 22mm and 32mm normal size wrenches thank you. you got me on the ifp height tool i do need that tho... never as cheap to do mods like this as you think.

Attachments

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
You don’t need the ifp tool, just measure it with a ruler or calipers. I’ve always done the “bleed check” with my thumb too, it should feel solid. I think they allow for a small amount of squish when using the tool, but I would be aiming for better than that any way

·
Registered
11,837 Posts
so looks like i need the rockshox ifp bleed tool 00.4318.012.009 one in the picture, flipping expensive piece of pipe... also i love how they made the sizes of the crowsfoot wrench mainstream sizes like 21mm and 31mm so they can sell you there special tools. well rockshox i'll be 1mm shimming out my 22mm and 32mm normal size wrenches thank you. you got me on the ifp height tool i do need that tho... never as cheap to do mods like this as you think.
Nah, you don't need that either. You will need a M5 syringe bleed kit, these are the same as Charger 2, Reverb etc.

Taking the base off can be a PITA but you're lucky enough to have the conventional (non thru shaft) version. I can't remember what the 21 and 31mm crowsfeet are supposed to be for.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seal head/air piston 21 mm crowfoot. this i can understand to be torqued correctly.

IFP reservoir 31mm crowfoot. i think i can guess 8 NM with an open end spanner.

just getting all my ducks in a line before i get into it.
Once i do my rear shocks outta service.... i'm a carpenter by trade not a suspension guru but i like to follow instructions you guys have been a big help! much appreciated just waiting on a IFP sram valve and the oils from shockcraft probably get into it in the next couple weeks not in a rush

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you say use a m5 syringe bleed kit can you please elaborate on the procedure as it doesn't say anything of the like in the manual and i cant find a video, that would be amazing if you could.

·
Registered
11,837 Posts
you say use a m5 syringe bleed kit can you please elaborate on the procedure as it doesn't say anything of the like in the manual and i cant find a video, that would be amazing if you could.
Yeah, sure. It's the same M5 bleed fittings used for Reverb, Charger2, shimano brakes etc (also Hayes and SRAM brakes but you do not want to mix DOT fluid into your shock).

You'll find the M5 bleed port in the middle of the IFP piston (I think). Use a syringe and gravity to blow oil in and suck air out. Continue until you're happy with it, then set IFP depth before removing the syringe and closing the screw.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Well much much later than expected, but better late than never!

Having finally gotten the time to tear down the shock, can confirm the 57.5mm and 60mm shock shafts to be identical, with the only difference being the plastic spacers on the air shaft. The 60mm has a 5mm grey spacer (with my custom white 2.5mm PVC spacer on top) and the 57.5 has a blue 7.5mm spacer, albeit with a smaller ID hole as its meant for a deluxe shaft which is smaller. Will drill the blue one out to the correct size and use that instead

Product Purple Violet Lens Electric blue

Lipstick Cylinder Optical instrument Silver Cameras & optics

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
so i finally started the process today, so for its very straight forward until i removed my screw driver from the shim stack to early and it fell off the shaft before i could bolt it on the shaft so now i have no idea how the shim stack goes back together..... the manual doesn't cover shim stacks anyone know what i can do ?

sent it to shockcraft sorted!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.