Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a used Precaliber 20 for my son. I will outline the build in this thread. I didn't realize how heavy and crappy the bike is until I got it home. Oh well, by the time I'm done the only things left will probably be the frame and tires.

I'm still unsure of what I'm going to do about the fork. I can't decide between staying with suspension or going rigid.

Has anyone tried 20" mini velo/folding bike wheelsets? I found a few online. Some of the super deep carbon ones look sweet, but weigh a ton. I found these on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G95J0HS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1N3NEWYJ4SCRO&th=1

·
Registered
376 Posts
My 2cents. Chinese carbon fork + higher volume frt tire. Save a ton of weight and increase the ability to roll over stuff without the expense/weight of a shock.

Those wheels look pretty darn good for $135! Low spoke count and pretty light.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stopped at the LBS that sells Trek. I just ordered a rigid replacement fork for a Superfly. It is a bit more than a chiner carbon fork, but I know it fits and will work.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I bought a pair of similar 20" wheels for my son's 20" Trek Superfly build. The manufacturer is called "Litepro" at Aliexpress, but I think it's the same manufacturer as the wheels on your link.

Some remarks:

1. Please pay attention to sizing: the rim has to be 406, and not 451 (which is folding road bike size)

2. The hubs should be 100/135 (these are the internal fork/frame size for a standard mountain bike. the other sizes are for folding bikes)

3. The rims are quite narrow, in order to achieve light weight. a "plus" tire won't sit on them properly, I guess, and they are drilled to fit Presta valves only.

4. I bought a pair with 20 spokes front, 24 rear. They are truly superlight, the hubs rotate smoothly, and for my kid, who's not very heavy or very aggressive, they're definitely strong enough.

DSC02256 (Copy).jpg

DSC02257 (Copy).jpg

DSC02268 (Copy).jpg

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tore the bike down to the bare frame and weighed all of the parts as they cam off. Weight as it sat stock was 25.4# I also tore down his modded Hotrock 16 which weighed 16.0# I'll be using some of the parts off the old bike like the carbon bars and hopefully the saddle/post combo.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well that's all the major components. I have all the small stuff too, but until I need grams I'll worry about the big stuff first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We did the same thing to a couple of 20" bikes - which we just sold this weekend - and our current 24" Gary Fisher Precaliber. We ended up with a 18 pound 24" disc brake bike!!!

It is sooo much better than stock! Plus, when it comes time to sell the bikes you can usually get a decent amount back for the upgraded bikes!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Superfly fork came in today

The LBS gave me the wrong headset bearings so I will have to wait a couple days to find the right ones and start assembling.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts