Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I want to buy my first bike and have trek LBS, but from research feel like online bike companies are a better bang for the buck.

The bike that I am considering are
1. DB Syncr (if I go hardtail)
2. DB Release 1
3. Giant Stance 2

which Trek would be comparable to these bikes listed. I understand that there will be bias since its Trek forum, but I hoping that I can get some unbiased opinion from owners here. I am looking for the most bang for the buck bike with the best spec for the price.

I am also open to buying used, but wont know how to check if the bike is any good.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If at all possible, try to demo a few different bikes on actual trails.

Almost all bikes are pretty good, but inevitably one will just feel "right".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Demo the bikes if you can. Trek's least expensive FS bike is $2000 in the form of the Fuel EX or Remedy 5. I don't really know your budget. But if you're looking for spec to price ratio, the '8' models from Trek provide decent bang for buck. Any higher than that and it becomes questionable.

If you're looking at a hardtail, there's the Roscoe and Stache. For that, I'd go with the highest spec model I can afford as you get higher spec for a lower price compared to a full suspension.

And as a first bike, I'd go with one that has dealer support close by and one with a really good warranty, like Trek. As a first bike, there will be some growing pains until you realize what noises are normal, how to make basic adjustments, and etc. You'll be going to the LBS often until you figure what's normal and what isn't. Which is why there a huge benefit to buying a bike from your LBS compared to direct order. The shop you bought your bike from will probably adjust a lot of things on your bike for free, at least for the next few months or even up to a year(in my case when I bought my first Trek). Whereas if you take a direct order bike to them, they'll charge you full labor and parts pricing.

If you've never owned a modern mountain bike before, think of it as a learning experience. It's not complicated, but there are things you can do and not do to make it more enjoyable or not so enjoyable.

What's your budget?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dude.. How many times are you going to ask basically the same question in different forums? What happened to this?

"I have come to realize that my current need is to just get a bike, I don't have the time to go to the trails. I will be mostly riding with my kids in the neighborhood on paved roads. cheap bike is better than no bike at all.

So can someone recommend a big box store bike that I can ride around the paved surface and if I get a chance this season go to the trail maybe just once."

Just go to Walmart and pick up a bike.. if you don't like it, return it.

Everyone wants more than they actually need... but if you're just going to ride around your hood, any bike will do.

Look, this one even made it through Whistler Bike Park, so it's probably more than what you need.

·
g=9.764m/s2
808 Posts
Dude,
This is exactly what you need! $220 and it is in Hockessin! Call him today!
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

Excellent condition Trek 4900 aluminum frame mountain bike with Rock Shox Judy front suspension fork. (Fork works great). 24 speed (3x8) Shimano Deore thumb shift drivetrain. Bike has rim brakes and 26" wheels. Just had Pro shop tune-up, drivetrain clean, lube, and detail. Also installed at that time are New grips, comfort saddle, Trick mountain pedals, new bottle cage and kickstand. Both chain and rear gears replaced recently. Rides and shifts great, needs nothing. 18" frame size with a 30" standover should fit 5'7"-6'1" or so. Call Text, or message Paul. 302-563-7708

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.