Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
I am a proffesional and competitive xc rider.I am looking to buy a new bike.
im down to two models:
Trek 8500
Scott scale 30.
dont look at the price,what do ypu think is better to buy?
how is the scott carbon frame next to the trek frame?
what would you buy?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 07 trek 8000.the same frame as the 8500 just lx components.I love it it rides and climbs awesome.But there is alot of people who love the scott stuff.I got a good deal on the trek so I went with it .I'm not disappointed at all.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Scott Scale

I loved my Scott. If i get back in the market for a HT, I won't even hesitate

·
Registered
182 Posts
tried both, the scott is too stiff, the oclv offers a very smooth ride with a tiny bit of flex in the seatstay to keep it comfy, yet the chainstay's are beefed up and quick. Treks are also better warranty. Trek dude.

·
Registered
832 Posts
NorcoMan said:
hello,
Lets see if I can say this without coming accross like an arse...

If you are a competitive pro, shouldn't someone be GIVING you a bike?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I rode a Trek 9.8 for a couple of years. Last year I raced on a Scott Scale 10 and loved it. I don't think you can go wrong with either company. I'm not sure what too stiff means? The carbon fibver frames are great because they absorb vibration but remains stiff so when you pedal you move. My partner and I rode Scale 10s for the Trans Rockies race (seven day stage race) and had no problems.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ooof, that's not a very good deal. Two lbs's here offer grassroots deals on Kona, Giant, Norco and Devinci bikes, all of which are 10% below dealer cost, which is roughly 1/2 price. Have you asked any shops about grassroots sponsorship through a bike company? It's simple, you just fill out an app with race results, what you plan on doing for the coming season, goal, and your LBS sends it in to the bike company. If you are approved by the company then you get the 1/2 price deal.

I suspect a lot of LBS don't let up and coming racers know about these deals as there is no profit in it for them. Too bad, as it's a good way to support young athletes.

·
w3rd.
315 Posts
Okay, who cares if the man is pro or whatever... lets help him out.

I have a Trek 6000 and a Scott Scale 30. The Scael carbon is light, and a very fast ride. You must be in good shape to ride a scale, since it isn't as smooth as the Trek.

The Trek is an alright price for the weight, but the scale you are getting a lower weight.

I love my scale, so that is why I'm telling you to go scott. What year scale are you thinking of?

·
w3rd.
315 Posts
joncgould said:
He might be implying that do to the stiffness you will need to be in proper position when descending -- bike is less forgiving??
Yeah that is what I meant. For example. OCLV is a "softer" carbon, where the CR1 carbon used on the Scale's is "harder". The Scale will give you a rougher ride, with a firm pedaling feel. The Trek will be more forgiving when riding, but get a "softer" pedaling feel.

However, the 8500 is not carbon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok...so lets say that i go to competitions (not more that 2 in a month) and train regullary with sprints and stuff but if i also want to have a fun long xc ride then i should get the trek?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
NorcoMan said:
hello,
im down to two models:
Trek 8500
Scott scale 30.
the TREK frame is ALUM and the scott is carbon. people are talking about OCLV carbon, well the 8500 is not OCLV it is ALUM.

so please clarify... what Trek frame are you talking about? the 9.9, 9.8 and 9.7 are the carbon frames. I had a 2001 9.8, best HT I have owned, very smooth ride, much smoother that an alum frame (I now have an 8000).

i have not ridden a scale, but i can not imagine it is a stiffer ride than the ALUM 8000/8500.

if that is what you are actually thinking is the the 8500 VS the Scale - go with the scale.
if you are actually thinking about a CARBON trek (9.9,8,7), then buy the one that fits you better. TREK has a great warranty too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kevbikemad said:
the TREK frame is ALUM and the scott is carbon. people are talking about OCLV carbon, well the 8500 is not OCLV it is ALUM.

so please clarify... what Trek frame are you talking about? the 9.9, 9.8 and 9.7 are the carbon frames. I had a 2001 9.8, best HT I have owned, very smooth ride, much smoother that an alum frame (I now have an 8000).

i have not ridden a scale, but i can not imagine it is a stiffer ride than the ALUM 8000/8500.

if that is what you are actually thinking is the the 8500 VS the Scale - go with the scale.
if you are actually thinking about a CARBON trek (9.9,8,7), then buy the one that fits you better. TREK has a great warranty too.
I am talking about the trek alum frame...not the carbon.
lets say ill take the scott...they will handle technical stuff also right(not to much technical...)?and how strong is the frame?how much could it take?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.