Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a 2011 Trek MT60 with stock suspension fork. I'd like to ditch that for a light weight aluminum fork. Is there something I can pick up off the shelf that will work? Thank you very much.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I am looking at purchasing a 2011 Trek MT60 with stock suspension fork. I'd like to ditch that for a light weight aluminum fork. Is there something I can pick up off the shelf that will work? Thank you very much.
If replacing a suspension fork you'll have to try to match the offset to achieve the correct trail and then decide what length you want to go with. I'd start by measuring the head and seat tube angles as well as the bottom bracket height when the fork is un-sagged.

Also, is the MT60 1 1/8" threadless?

There are lightweight BMX forks but they rarely have V brake mounts so you'd have to find some bolt an adaptors in order to run your stock front V brakes. If you're interested I could probably find link to the bolt an adaptors but I don't seem to have it saved.

Here is a Free Agent BMX fork with V brake mounts. It's not aluminum but is chromoly instead of high tensile steel so shouldn't be too heavy. I don't know the length or offset.

Free Agent 20" BMX 14mm Drop Out 200mm x 1 1 8" Steertube Threadless Forks BG | eBay

Above fork is for 14mm axle so you'd have to run some adaptors.

Here is a recumbent fork for $70. First item listed on the spread sheet:

Linear Recumbent Bicycle (Bike) Parts and Accessories

Here is a carbon fiber fork for a folding bike. Crazy expensive but might hold some value after your kid outgrows the Trek:

TRIGON IRIS RC51A carbon fiber bike bicycle fork 20" 406 451 fork for caliper road or V brake 74mm width fit for folding bike-in Bicycle Fork from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com

Another recumbent fork.

Hostel Shoppe Recumbents - the world's largest source for recumbent information, bicycles, trikes and accessories.

Here is an aluminum one that is for disc or V brakes. 1" steer tube but there are adaptors for that too.

Hostel Shoppe Recumbents - the world's largest source for recumbent information, bicycles, trikes and accessories.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If replacing a suspension fork you'll have to try to match the offset to achieve the correct trail and then decide what length you want to go with. I'd start by measuring the head and seat tube angles as well as the bottom bracket height when the fork is un-sagged.

Also, is the MT60 1 1/8" threadless?

There are lightweight BMX forks but they rarely have V brake mounts so you'd have to find some bolt an adaptors in order to run your stock front V brakes. If you're interested I could probably find link to the bolt an adaptors but I don't seem to have it saved.

Here is a Free Agent BMX fork with V brake mounts. It's not aluminum but is chromoly instead of high tensile steel so shouldn't be too heavy. I don't know the length or offset.

Free Agent 20" BMX 14mm Drop Out 200mm x 1 1 8" Steertube Threadless Forks BG | eBay

Above fork is for 14mm axle so you'd have to run some adaptors.

Here is a recumbent fork for $70. First item listed on the spread sheet:

Linear Recumbent Bicycle (Bike) Parts and Accessories

Here is a carbon fiber fork for a folding bike. Crazy expensive but might hold some value after your kid outgrows the Trek:

TRIGON IRIS RC51A carbon fiber bike bicycle fork 20" 406 451 fork for caliper road or V brake 74mm width fit for folding bike-in Bicycle Fork from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com

Another recumbent fork.

Here is an aluminum one that is for disc or V brakes. 1" steer tube but there are adaptors for that too.

Thanks for detailed reply. Problem solved...took my son to test ride MT60 and a older Specialized Hotrock 1x6 with rigid fork. He liked the Hotrock. $60 and it rides like a champ. Happy boy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts