Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a trek marlin 5 and was wondering what upgrades would make it a smoother ride for me without spending a ton of money. I’ve already purchased a different fork and grips. Thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Agreed on what Sickmak said above, give us the whole story.

Have you tried riding some else's hardtail? It's possible that you're just not accustomed to riding on trails, sometimes you're just not going to float over rough stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I may need to ride another hardtail. I haven’t done that yet. I tried saving money by getting a cheaper bike but then I heard that the marlin 5 isn’t the greatest bike to have gotten.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The marlin 5 isn’t bad per say, but it isn’t the best either. If you want a cheapish bike with a more plush ride a roscoe might have been better.

Full squish is the way to go if you want a smooth ride.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
I agree with the above. A Roscoe probably would have fit your requirements for a plush ride much better than a Marlin.

You will be limited on tire width. Maybe get a 2.4 up front, but the rear of the bike is pretty narrow, so you may be limited to a 2.3, maybe a 2.35 in the back, depending on the tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.