Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I am relatively new to mountain biking and I just got the trek marlin 5 2021. I want to upgrade to a 1x10 or 1x12 and I had my eye on the Box three prime 9 groupset and I don't know if that will fit do you have any suggestions on what other options I might have.

Here is the Groupset

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
you'll need to buy a new crankset as well, because the crankset on the Marlin 5 appears to have the chainrings riveted together. that's most likely going to set you back another $100 plus labor if you don't have all the tools needed to remove the current crankset and bottom bracket and install a new one.

unsolicited advice: how long ago did you buy this bike? can you return it? upgrading anything on it is going to quickly become much more expensive than just buying a Marlin 7.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you'll need to buy a new crankset as well, because the crankset on the Marlin 5 appears to have the chainrings riveted together. that's most likely going to set you back another $100 plus labor if you don't have all the tools needed to remove the current crankset and bottom bracket and install a new one.

unsolicited advice: how long ago did you buy this bike? can you return it? upgrading anything on it is going to quickly become much more expensive than just buying a Marlin 7.
I bought this bike about 4 weeks ago, I am in michigan and I went to ohio to get my bike to I can't really return my bike right now. And I was on a really tight budget or else I would have bought the 7

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
buy a new crankset and the Box kit you posted. you'll also need tools or pay a shop to do it. don't think too hard about the fact that your upgraded Marlin 5 will now cost more than a Marlin 7.

·
Registered
24 Posts
yes get the prime nine. I did have a problem with the clutch going out on my prime nine derailleur so spend the extra 30 and get the prime nine box two derailleur. it has a way better clutch and its way easier to adjust. Also the chain breaks about a month in. get the box two chain. The problem with doing a 12 or 11 speed shimano or sram is the hub driver. you need an xd or shimano micro spline freehub body to use the cassettes .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think now I am just instead of going from 3x7 to a 1x10 or 1x12 I am just going to save some money and just do 2x8 or so because I don't NEED a 1x10-12 I am just on a really tight budget so I am just going to do 2x8
Thank you for the info and your time and effort.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey so I am relatively new to mountain biking and I just got the trek marlin 5 2021. I want to upgrade to a 1x10 or 1x12 and I had my eye on the Box three prime 9 groupset and I don't know if that will fit do you have any suggestions on what other options I might have.

Here is the Groupset
As others have said the cranks will be the hard part of the equation. Tool to remove your cranks is about $12 on Amazon. I have this one and I've removed several cranks and bottom brackets with it no problem. Not the bext bototm bracket tool I've ever used but it worked when I couldn't find my "good" one.

You can buy a square taper crank set for about $40-50 or buy another tool and switch to a hollowtech style crankset. Hollowtech will save you weight at the cost of less durability. Those square taper sealed bearing cranks are heavy but they seem to last forever..

Looks like the 2021 version of the Marlin 5 comes with a freehub not a freewheel so you are saved from having to buy a new wheel. You can double check this though by taking the rear wheel off, and looking at the center of the cassette. Do you see a large bearing or a 20 tooth splined lock ring. Lock ring will be a cassette and make upgrading easier.

Take a look at the Microshift Advent and Advent X drivetrains. I seem to read about more people having problems with Box than Microshift. I went with Microshift myself and did not regret it. 1x9 Advent with a 11-46 cassette can be had for less than $120 + chain. 1x10 Advent X in 11-48 range is $160 + chain.

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
453 Posts
As others have said the cranks will be the hard part of the equation. Tool to remove your cranks is about $12 on Amazon. I have this one and I've removed several cranks and bottom brackets with it no problem. Not the bext bototm bracket tool I've ever used but it worked when I couldn't find my "good" one.

You can buy a square taper crank set for about $40-50 or buy another tool and switch to a hollowtech style crankset. Hollowtech will save you weight at the cost of less durability. Those square taper sealed bearing cranks are heavy but they seem to last forever..

Looks like the 2021 version of the Marlin 5 comes with a freehub not a freewheel so you are saved from having to buy a new wheel. You can double check this though by taking the rear wheel off, and looking at the center of the cassette. Do you see a large bearing or a 20 tooth splined lock ring. Lock ring will be a cassette and make upgrading easier.

Take a look at the Microshift Advent and Advent X drivetrains. I seem to read about more people having problems with Box than Microshift. I went with Microshift myself and did not regret it. 1x9 Advent with a 11-46 cassette can be had for less than $120 + chain. 1x10 Advent X in 11-48 range is $160 + chain.
what he said. i have the advent group and it shifts real nice. make sure you get the one with the clutch. muh better chain retention.

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
As mentioned above you're going to be buying a lot of parts to make this bike good for the fun rough trails. It's designed for bike paths and smooth trails. It also needs an air fork, better brakes and wide rim wheels. List it for sale on Facebook Marketplace and get on the email restock list for this bike. wiggle.com | Vitus Nucleus 29 VRS Mountain Bike (2021) | Hard Tail Mountain Bikes Keep your bike if you are staying on bike paths.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

Here is the Groupset
Here's an upgraded Marlin, you need pretty much all that's in there for your setup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts