Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
g=9.764m/s2
808 Posts
Odd these questions for the Marlin have been extremely common in the past few weeks... consensus is a 7 speed rear has a FreeWheel instead of a FreeHub which means you’ll need to replace the rear hub or full wheel first, then cassette, crankset, chainring, derailleur, shifter, chain... likely more than you paid for the bike so shop the sales and close outs.

·
g=9.764m/s2
808 Posts

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
I am pretty sure all of your questions have been answered in this thread:
https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-compon...ost-upgrade-my-drive-chain-brake-1102072.html

short answer: you need a new
cassette
chain
crankset
bottom bracket (might come with the cranks)
derailer
shifter
chainring (might come with the crankset)

chances are that it's not financially worthwhile to replace all that. that bike was cheap for a reason.

what sucks about the factory gearing? it probably has more of a range than most 1x setups, but with crap shifting.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
true guess I should just upgrade on it, any ideas on maybe some improvent in the gearing if I don't go that route?
Yes, refer to the thread I linked above.

Be specific- what don't you like about the "gearing"?

When you say "upgrade it," what is it? The drivetrain or the whole bike? Like I said, if you want to change anything on the drivetrain, you have to replace everything because it works as a system. That was explained in detail in the thread I linked above as well.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
According to Trek's archive, that's a cassette and not a freewheel. If that's the case, you don't need a new rear wheel, but everything else applies.

You need a shifter, derailer, cassette, chain, and crankset with the appropriate bottom bracket, a single chainring.

The shifter, cassette, chain, and derailer all have to be designed to work together.

The crankset looks like the three rings are all riveted together, so you need a new crankset, a bottom bracket to match the crankset, and a single chain ring that fits the cranks.

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2016/Trek/marlin_5#/us/en/2016/Trek/marlin_5/details

·
Registered
478 Posts
7spd is not up-gradable...you will need to replace the rear hub.
8spd and Above can all be upgraded to 11spd, as they share the same Shimano Freehub design.

Also, Clutch Derailleurs are only an option with 10spd and above.
Big fan of Clutch Derailleurs :)

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
7spd is not up-gradable...you will need to replace the rear hub.
8spd and Above can all be upgraded to 11spd, as they share the same Shimano Freehub design.

Also, Clutch Derailleurs are only an option with 10spd and above.
Big fan of Clutch Derailleurs :)
Check the link I posted above. That bike seems to have a 7 speed cassette, so a 10 speed upgrade is not out of the question.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ten four thanks buddy also asked the guys up at trek in charlotte awesome people they are working on one right now so im suppose to call him tomorrow am to see how it went they said so far that they didn't have to replace the rear wheel

·
Registered
2020 Trek Fuel EX8
251 Posts
Check the link I posted above. That bike seems to have a 7 speed cassette, so a 10 speed upgrade is not out of the question.
This is strange, I've got a Marlin 5 (2018 Model) when I upgraded my 7 speed drive train, the 7 speed was absolutely not compatible with 8/9/10 speed cassettes, I ended up having to replace the hub as well (I actually built new wheels entirely)

The older 2016 model may be different, but it seems strange that Trek would make an older model upgradeable, then change that design on the newer models...

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
Indeed. The HG20 listed on the Trek archive is definitely a cassette, but I wonder if the hub has a short 7-speed body. That's pretty weird. I would ask the shop to make sure a 10-speed cassette will fit, but a retro freehub would be very strange. Usually they 7-speed cassettes are too narrow and have a spacer to take up the difference.

·
Registered
2020 Trek Fuel EX8
251 Posts
Usually they 7-speed cassettes are too narrow and have a spacer to take up the difference.
Exactly!

When I removed the cassette I expected to find such a spacer...but alas I did not...which led me down a very expensive road of learning LOL. :madman::madman:

I wouldn't do it again, but I did learn a lot about bike repair in the process. :thumbsup:

Reactions: mack_turtle
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.