Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any input into a trek liquid SS? I can pick up a frame pretty cheap from a bud and was wonderinf if this might work. I saw an old post where someone had a fuel and had pretty bad pedal bob. any thoughts on the liquid?

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
Wax said:
Anyone have any input into a trek liquid SS? I can pick up a frame pretty cheap from a bud and was wonderinf if this might work. I saw an old post where someone had a fuel and had pretty bad pedal bob. any thoughts on the liquid?
One question...
Why?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why not? cheap frame, and I have the rest of the parts in the garage. I'd like to try a FS SS but I'm not tearing down my litespeed to do it

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, I would obviously need to run a tensioner, probably the type with two jockey wheels to take up a little extra chain. I was more curious about using this frame type as a single. I know the frames with a pivot around the bottom bracket are best for building singles but this is what is available as a fairly cheap experiment right now.

roadiegonebad said:
you would still need a tensioner, aka a derailleur that doesn't shift...

·
Let me ask my wife
358 Posts
I think it's a good idea. Cush is good, I have a Scalpel SS and really like the travel. I'm pretty sure the Melvin would do the trick and the Liquid has a good reputation. Post a pic and ride report if you do it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Depends on the weight

Could ride great depending on how much it weighs ... a mate of mine converted his Santa Cruz Bullet to SS (with tensioners) and it was a little on the beefy side ... smooth on the singletrack, but a little heavy on the climbs ... he ran 32:20 I think ...

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
They sucked for their intended purpose

Whay would you want one for an SS bike. I had one and it was a real disappointment even for it's intended purpose. I upgraded it significantly and it still sucked. It always felt awkward and top heavy, I could not keep the front wheel down when seated climbing (may be OK for standing like on an SS) pretty bad bob (not OK for SS)

Pass, or if you can get it real cheap flip it on ebay. ;)

Here's a pic of my old one, it was a good looking bike, it's too bad that in this case beauty was skin deep. I did not know just how lacking the bike was until I replaced it with my Turner. Oh.......FYI I'd never consider the Turner as an SS candidate either, IMHO SS bikes shoud be hardtails.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.