Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know any good ideas on how to stop an annoying squeak/creak coming from the major pivot point connecting the the two halves of the frame. (Just above the crank). The noise occurs when you are pedalling hard. I have changed all of the bearings, but it hasn't gone away. It will go away if you squirt some WD40 into it, but this messes up the bearing, as you need to loctite it to secure the bearing on the inside of the barrel at the pivot point. Thanks???????????

·
Registered
797 Posts
If you're sure its the main pivot...

all you can really do is take it apart, clean everything, lube what is supposed to be lubed, and reassemble using the corrrect torque settings. Otherwise, check for frame cracks, check front derrailer clamp tightness, seatpost clamp, seatpost, seat rails, shock mounting bolts, etc. I think you get the idea. Never had a problem with the main pivot in 1500 miles, knock wood. My bike had other creaks and growns in the areas I mentioned, but it has been silent for the past 1000 miles- now the only grunts and groans come from the rider...

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Squeek

It sounds like the oil on the pivot temporarily did the trick so I'm probably just making noise here but on all the FS frames I've owned(10) I've never had the pivot be the origin of the squeek; All the noise I've had has ended up being at the bottom braket or the seatpost clamp, I guess I've been lucky but pulling the BB cleaning the threads and reinstalling it allmost allways takes care of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.