Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have a Trek superfly 9.8 which is a fair few years old now but i still love it bits.. Im trying to install a 1x 12 system using the m8100 set which will mean opting for a micro spline hub. Problem is, Trek Uk tell me that my Mustang Pro wheels/ hub cannot be converted to micro spline.
Although I respect Treks expertise on this matter, I also respect the support staffs loyalty to their employer. Therefore I cannot expect advice regarding other manufacturers.
My questions are: whether there exists any micro spline hub which will fit, if not, is there some creative way in which I can make one fit without changing the whole wheel or wheel hub…ie. replacing hub axle shaft…
Any help is much appreciated…
Thanks

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
agree. the 10 tooth thing is overblown.

12 spd is a bit harder to maintain and keep shifting perfect. its heavier than 11 spd.

i have experience w sram and hyperglide+ and shimano wins that contest.

unfortunately, it means a hub upgrade and microspline to the best of my knowledge.

id run 11-50 11spd no problems

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Trek Uk tell me that my Mustang Pro wheels/ hub cannot be converted to micro spline.
Although I respect Treks expertise on this matter, I also respect the support staffs loyalty to their employer. Therefore I cannot expect advice regarding other manufacturers.
My questions are: whether there exists any micro spline hub which will fit, if not, is there some creative way in which I can make one fit without changing the whole wheel or wheel hub…ie. replacing hub axle shaft...
I may be wrong but my understanding is Microspline is a Shimano patent sold to other manufacturers under licence. If the manufacturer applies and gets the licence agreement to produce their own Microspline version to fit their hubs then one would be available for your specific hub/brand.

I don't know but maybe it is possible to make one fit but I guess it would take a lot of in depth obscure research and even then it would be based on a 'buying one and prey it fits' scenario.?

Short answer, also agree with the comments so far, get a HG freehub compatible cassette. +1 for Sunrace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.