Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys , how about that ride in ..... Haha I guess that's why they call it sin city .
I'm back on the mtb scene after a healthy 10 yrs out and have purchased a trek fuel ex8 , love the bike . Clocked up around 500km.
But I am wanting to de clutter the front chainrings from 3x10 to 1x10, can someone please tell me the best way to go about this , sorry if this thread has been posted befor , I'm a super noob

·
Registered
15,143 Posts
Take off the large and small front rings. You may need smaller bolts. But the chainline is good.
Run like that with your front d as a guide and see how it works. 11-36 cassette can be upgraded with a 40 or 42T cog.
Just In: Wolf Tooth Components GC 42T | Mountain Bike Review
Take off the shifter/fr derailleur and put a clutch rear derailleur on GS or short. SLX or Deore are inexpensive if your shifter is Shimano. And a narrow/wide front ring like a Wolftooth.
First Look: Wolf Tooth Components DropStop Chainrings, Rotor Truing Bottle Opener | Mountain Bike Review
Shorten your chain.

For more feedback check the drivetrain section.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The fuel 29er should already have a clutch RD. I would recommend buying a 32t or 34t tooth narrow-wide chain ring from RaceFace. They are the least expensive. If you are not a strong rider, they make a 30t. Remove the front shifter and FD, you might need shorter chain ring bolts if you don't use a bashgaurd, you could also leave the big ring on as a bash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.