Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

First of all, I would like to apologize if I am posting this in the completely wrong forum, but I figured the people who frequent the Front Range threads would know best.

Anyway, I am going to school in Denver and really want to get out on the trails in the surrounding area. I am saving up for a bike this summer, but I am completely torn between the Fuel EX9 and the Remedy 9. I haven't had a chance to ride any of the trails in CO yet, so I have no idea which bike would be a better fit for the majority of the trails in the area.

As far as my riding style goes, I don't mind climbing, but I love a fast descent with a few jumps/freeride elements mixed in (I don't even know if there are any local trails that fit that description). I heard Keystone's bike park is amazing, but the reality is I won't make it up there as often as I would like so I will mostly be limited to trails that are less than a one hour drive away.

So, in your opinion, which bike would be best suited towards the trails in the area? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
624 Posts
i'd get the EX9 if you are debating between that and the Remedy. The Remedy is super laggy up hills in my opinion. the ex8 and ex9 are sick bikes.
If you have the money look at the Specialized Enduro. sweet all around ride, and you've got a 6inch bike, and its still under 30lbs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the good advice so far. I should have clarified that I am only looking at Treks due to the fact that the LBS I work at deals them and therefore I can get a pretty substantial discount on them ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
ex9.5

I have an EX9.5 and it is one of the most fun bikes I have ever owned. The slightly raked out fork gives a lot of confidence on descents with out too much compromise on tight turns. And its awesome on the climbs. Great all around bike.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,872 Posts
Chipless said:
I don't mind climbing, but I love a fast descent with a few jumps/freeride elements mixed in (I don't even know if there are any local trails that fit that description). I heard Keystone's bike park is amazing, but the reality is I won't make it up there as often as I would like so I will mostly be limited to trails that are less than a one hour drive away.

So, in your opinion, which bike would be best suited towards the trails in the area? Thanks in advance!
The remedy is a far better bike for the description of your riding style, I'm not sure if others bothered to read this part :skep: . The primary reason is the Lyric fork, 20mm thru-axle and 160mm travel won't be as limiting as an xc fork with a qr. Not only that, Keystone is just over an hour away from Denver. ;)

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
Here's another thing to consider: IMO, if you weigh more than 170 lbs, you will notice (and appreciate) the added stiffness (hence steering precision) that a thru axle fork gives. I weight 180, and wouldn't consider another qr fork. Besides, w/ the Rockshox maxle, I think they're even easier to remove/ reinstall the front wheel.
New suspension technology has made more travel less of a burden (if any), so go bigger!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
If you really just climb for the descends get the Remedy. The greater Denver area has the trails for such a bike. Stay with the MTBR community and you'll be able to car pool to trails.

davec113 has a point. The Remedy7 specs look really good for the Front Range. Not sure I'd spend the extra cash on a 9. But hey - you are the Trek expert.

·
Registered
488 Posts
andrewnielson said:
i'd get the EX9 if you are debating between that and the Remedy. The Remedy is super laggy up hills in my opinion. the ex8 and ex9 are sick bikes.
If you have the money look at the Specialized Enduro. sweet all around ride, and you've got a 6inch bike, and its still under 30lbs
in searching for a new bike next season, I wanted to upgrade from my current 5" bike and have been contemplating the Trek EX9/Remedy 9, as well as the Specialized SJ/Enduro SL

How much have you ridden the Trek EX9 and Remedy 9 as well as a Specalized Enduro SL to have this opinion? I have yet to ride the Remedy, but it was my top choice at the moment, and from all I have read, it pedals better and is better for an all around heavy duty XC bike than the Enduro SL is? Thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
what up

Hey I just bought a giant reign 2 and have had problems.... with so much ****..
it is still under warranty but they can not figure out what the problem is.
Soo... ( I have the best girlfriend ever) She asked what other bikes I would like, if I was rich.
I did a lot of looks ups, and rides.... she bought me a trek remedy 8...
I can not say how there is a huge night and day between the two..
on a side note i rode the ex9.... I did not feel that it could with stand the beating the remedy could take
good luck on your choice....

·
Registered
29 Posts
We have both Fuel EX and Remedy models (in all sizes) available for demo at the Bike Park at SolVista Basin. We could work something out where you could demo both in one day for a one day rental price.

Come up and check them out! We have a wide array of trails to try both models (ie-complete xc and dh trail networks). www.bikesolvista.com

·
cheeseburger in paradise
220 Posts
Got a chance to demo both of them in Park City earlier this summer. Took them both up the same climb (spiro > mid mountain), but took the Remedy down a gnarlier descent. For the first time on a 6 inch travel bike, I thought I'd hate it on that climb, but it actually climbed like a champ. It doesn't hurt that it's a 6 inch travel bike that's under 30 lbs. Just set the pro pedal up for the climb and it's good to go. My only complaint is that it didn't hold it's speed/momentum like the Fuel. I found myself touching the brakes before some corners on the Fuel, but when I hit the same section on the Remedy, I got nowhere near the same speed and thus didn't need to brake. Probably because of the larger tires, but something to make note of. Either bike is nice, but given the type of terrain you like to ride, the Remedy is probably the bike you want.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
bluchris said:
I found myself touching the brakes before some corners on the Fuel, but when I hit the same section on the Remedy, I got nowhere near the same speed and thus didn't need to brake. Probably because of the larger tires, but something to make note of. Either bike is nice, but given the type of terrain you like to ride, the Remedy is probably the bike you want.
I don't doubt the smaller tires roll faster, but could it also be that the Remedy was more comfortable at speed, so it didn't feel like you were going as fast?

·
cheeseburger in paradise
220 Posts
dbabuser said:
I don't doubt the smaller tires roll faster, but could it also be that the Remedy was more comfortable at speed, so it didn't feel like you were going as fast?
good question, but definitely not. For one, the sections of trail that I noticed it on weren't super technical. Well within the comfort range of either bike as it was just hard pack singletrack. Secondly, the Fuel just flat out flew. I rode the Fuel first, and on sections of trail that I flew through the first day, the Remedy was super slow. There were several spots I found myself braking on the Fuel, where I was pedaling on the Remedy. Again this was just on observation from a section of trail that I rode both bikes on (hard pack singletrack). I later took the Remedy out on some more extreme terrain, so I can't really compare how the two perform in rougher conditions. I just noticed that the Remedy seemed to have much more rolling resistance then the Fuel.

And to be fair, it could have been anything on the bike setup. These were demo bikes. Bikes that get riden nearly every day. Could have been that something was just well worn on the Remedy. I mentioned it to the Trek guy and he said that the Remedy "definitely needs some help from gravity". I took that to mean that if you are riding on hard pack, it will take more effort to keep the Remedy at the same speed as the Fuel, but throw a technical decent in there and the Remedy will out perform the Fuel. Again, I just assumed that the rolling resistance of the Remedy was due to the larger tire size.

·
Registered
95 Posts
joelalamo45 said:
Crankworx Colorado was won a Remedy... If you like to do a bit of freeriding, then the Remedy would work really well for you.
Just FYI, I was at Crankworx Colorado and got a few minutes to talk to Cam McCaul who won. The bike says Remedy, but it in fact is not. It has no full floater or abp. Its beefier then anything else you've seen, and its also about 4" of travel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A fuel ex9 is best for most front range activities. Its peppy and climbs like an xc bike, but really tears it up on the descents and holds true to its line. Its spec'd out quite well this year and the new rear suspension DOES work. The 08 fuel ex9 has the talas rl fork which you can adjust from 90-130 mm travel on the fork. So far, this ex really seems like the jack of all trades bike to me. I took my new 08 ex9 out to hall ranch this morning and betasso reserve yesterday and I continue to be impressed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.