Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for advise/input on my next bike.
I currently have a 2016 Trek Remedy 8 27.5 and live in northeast Tn.

I have been riding for over 30 years and just feel like the remedy is sluggish on the climbs and more travel then needed for me and the trails around here.
I'm torn on going to as little travel as the TF has. I can test ride a FEX,but not a TF.
I am not doing any jumping on purpose now due to L4-L5 back fusion I had.
I just don't want to risk it anymore.

I feel the TF would be so fun,fast and snappy. But would it be too harsh ? Any help or opinion is appreciated.

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
How big are you?

You said you want fun, fast and snappy, and that kind of defines the TF....and it's a bit firm in real chunk.

The FEX is fun, fast, and smooth in the chunk. I love mine, but would not call it snappy.

FWIW, I'm c6'2" and 195 pounds, have left racing behind, love my FEX, and sold my TF.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am looking for advise/input on my next bike.
I currently have a 2016 Trek Remedy 8 27.5 and live in northeast Tn.

I have been riding for over 30 years and just feel like the remedy is sluggish on the climbs and more travel then needed for me and the trails around here.
I'm torn on going to as little travel as the TF has. I can test ride a FEX,but not a TF.
I am not doing any jumping on purpose now due to L4-L5 back fusion I had.
I just don't want to risk it anymore.

I feel the TF would be so fun,fast and snappy. But would it be too harsh ? Any help or opinion is appreciated.
I have a TF, came from a hardtail, and the TF feels nearly as snappy. Personally I feel the bike works much better with a 130 fork which seems to be a popular thing people do on this frame. There's also a mod to convert the rear shock bushing to a needle bearing and it adds a lot of "plushness." With this and a bigger fork the ride is still nice and snappy, but is able to eat up more of the trail chatter without bouncing around as much.

This has crossed my mine a lot, should I build up the TF, or "build down" the fuel to be more like a top fuel, and I went the route of the TF after test riding one. Sounds like you don't need the heavier fuel frame and would be better off on the TF.

I am 6' 165lbs

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Delay gratification and try stuff.

We had a 2016 Remedy 29 and though different wheel sizes, the newer Fuel EX has proven we didn't need that more rear travel. Having tried and owned a lot of stuff I can say overall I love newer Fuel EX for all the versatility but that's me and I'm at an age where my racing is to the toilet.

In trying lots of stuff I was able to sort out it's really axle height I felt once modern 29r weren't designed by ass clowns who thought the whole world raced bikes or wanted to. I kept with little wheels on the dirt jumper for the near constant advantage of big wheels. Friends still feel they want the 650B so again, try all you can. That said, modern Fuel EX does an incredible range of stuff and my old back likes the plush it can have over a racing bike. It's not plush like the 2016 vintage Remedy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How big are you?

You said you want fun, fast and snappy, and that kind of defines the TF....and it's a bit firm in real chunk.

The FEX is fun, fast, and smooth in the chunk. I love mine, but would not call it snappy.

FWIW, I'm c6'2" and 195 pounds, have left racing behind, love my FEX, and sold my TF.
I'm 5'8" and 178 lbs now, but when in shape will be around 165.

·
Registered
Top Fuel
1,680 Posts
I have a 2020 top fuel, and looking back on it, I wonder if I’d have been better off with an EX.

For my riding—mix of old school single track and flow trails in WI, MI, MN, I’ve found myself burlifying the top fuel. First thing was to ditch the useless suspension lockouts. Then, 2.6”/2.5” tires. Finally, 130 fork. Perfectly does what I want now, but might have been a simpler/cheaper path to just have gotten the EX in the first place.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I went through the same process coming off of a Stache hardtail and a Full Stache. Went back and forth between the Fuel and Top Fuel. Most of my riding is in low country, on old school singletrack. I went with "building up" a Top Fuel vs. trying to build down a Fuel. I'm getting ready to do the needle bearing mod but have held off on running a 130 fork. Basically just run big XR4 2.6 tire in the front and a XR4 2.4 in the rear. Will likely pick up some Line Pro 30s once I kill the Kovee wheels. Like others said, wait a bit because Trek is about to announce the 2022 TF. There's another thread in the forum where folks were able to get screen grabs of the new 2022 TF before it was pulled from the site. Looks like it's 120/120 and a little more trail vs. CC. compared to the 2021.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I also went through the same process 2 years ago, coming off a Stache, debating between a Top Fuel and Fuel EX. I ended up with the 2020 Fuel EX (9.7) because I liked the downtube storage and didn't like the suspension lockouts on the Top Fuel. So I went the other way and the past 2 years having built it up more XC (lighter) than trail with 2.4" XR4's, Bontrager Line Elite 30 carbon rims, GX carbon crankset, carbon bar, AXS Reverb and AXS GX upgrade kit. I'm very happy with it, as it can handle anything I ride. I am also interested in the Top Fuel 2022 specs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a question for ya.

What type of trails are you looking to ride and in what areas? That is something to consider which can impact the decision.
I live and ride in north east Tennessee.Riding Warriors Path mostly,which is rocky and technical.
I currently have a 2016 Trek Remedy 8 27.5. I'm not riding parks or doing any big jumps.
Don't use all the travel I currently have,but do not want a harsh ride either.
When is Trek going to let us know what the 2022 Top Fuel is going to be like?
I'm very close to ordering another brand (YT Izzo) if I don't hear something soon.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I rode both. Went with the top fuel. It definitely feels more like a race car but I don’t feel like it’s going to kill me on slow tech stuff. The fuel ex felt like a boat. Not fun for me on smoother trails. Sucked the energy out of me on long rides and felt like it was holding me back when I wanted to hammer it with the fast xc guys. The new one looks promising with a little slacker head angle I just hope it doesn’t get closer to the fuel ex. Pink bike did a video on all the down country bikes I would check that out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep, I also rode both bikes for a day on the same trails I use most of the time. The EX is plush, pops off the jumps lots of fun. It also will sap your energy when climbing and isn't a sprinter. The TF is just fast, leans heavily on the XC side on suspension firmness but is calm enough to crash through rougher trails and hold it's line.

I went with the TF 9.8, I miss a little of the plush ride of the EX, but on the pedals with the XC friends it will hold it's own and that's what i ride most of the time.

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
I live and ride in north east Tennessee.Riding Warriors Path mostly,which is rocky and technical.
I currently have a 2016 Trek Remedy 8 27.5. I'm not riding parks or doing any big jumps.
Don't use all the travel I currently have,but do not want a harsh ride either.
Having owned both, these statements make me think FEX. The TF is fast, but firm, while the FEX is darn near a hover bike, with the 130 rear travel feeling like more, to me.

I don't agree with the comments above about the FEX sapping energy on longer rides. In fact, on 3+ hour rough rides, I have less post-ride fatigue on the FEX.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.