Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how much it weighs out of the box?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a 17.5" (Virtual) 9.8. It's a bit upgraded from stock: '09 XTR cranks, cassette, triggers, thomson setback post, SLR carbonio saddle, XTR rear derailleur, and Stan's Olympics/DT240s wheelset running tubeless with Intense System 2's, and XTR SPDs and it weighs exact;y 25.92lbs on my Alpine scale.

I don't believe that it weighs 26lbs out of the box. I bought mine used, so it had a few changes from stock: Thomson straight post and Bonty inForm RL saddle and XTR rear derailleur. It also had the stock Rhythm Elite wheelset and WTB weirwolf tires (not tubeless), it was almost 28lbs.

The new MTBR has a mini-review of the 9.9, and they say it's 25.5lbs with XTR pedals. Other earlier reviews claimed the weight of the 9.9 at 23.5lbs, but that must have been way off now that I have the 9.8 and can find no way in hell to bring it down to that weight based on the parts I have on it now. I could probably drop a half pound on some lighter tires or maybe a different bar/stem, but not another 2 pounds!

BTW, why on earth is the stock 9.9 about $3K more than the stock 9.8? Sorry, but $3K doesn't make for the difference in parts between the two. They share the exact same frame otherwise.

·
Registered
429 Posts
26.6 out of the box 15.5". down to 26 even with xtr cogset, irc mibro tires, thompson masterpiece seatpost, specialized phenom sl saddle and truvativ world cup noir bars.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread, OP. I have an 09 EX9 on layaway. The EX 9.8 is $500 more than the EX9 for basically the same parts spec (except that the 9.8 has XT brakes and shifters, a Fox 120 RL fork and an XT rear der). I am debating whether to keep the EX9 and upgrade the wheels to Rythym Pro which will cost probably $300-$400 or pay the extra $500 and get the EX9.8. The main difference between the two bikes is the frame (carbon versus aluminum) and the 9.8 has slightly less travel than the EX9 --120 mm vs 130 mm, but the white carbon frame looks really sweet. Any thoughts? I ride mainly XC/agressive XC but no drops of more than 2-3 feet. Thanks for your help. TB.

·
Registered
45 Posts
trekboy79 said:
Sorry to hijack your thread, OP. I have an 09 EX9 on layaway. The EX 9.8 is $500 more than the EX9 for basically the same parts spec (except that the 9.8 has XT brakes and shifters, a Fox 120 RL fork and an XT rear der). I am debating whether to keep the EX9 and upgrade the wheels to Rythym Pro which will cost probably $300-$400 or pay the extra $500 and get the EX9.8. The main difference between the two bikes is the frame (carbon versus aluminum) and the 9.8 has slightly less travel than the EX9 --120 mm vs 130 mm, but the white carbon frame looks really sweet. Any thoughts? I ride mainly XC/agressive XC but no drops of more than 2-3 feet. Thanks for your help. TB.
To be honest if you get the 9 and upgrade the wheels I'd go for something other than the Bontragers. Personally I'd go for Stan's on Hope Pro III hubs, although the Specialized Rovale's are supposed to be pretty sweet too

·
SoCal mtbr
332 Posts
trekboy79 said:
FYI: With the Fuel EX9 you get an RP24 Fox front fork (It has compression adj and lock out thresh hold adj along with the standard rebound and lockout) which is basically a Fox F120 RLC that is custom tuned for Trek. That is a way better fork than the F120 RL (just rebound and lockout) that is on the Fuel EX9.8. Also, you get an X0 rear derailuer on the EX9 and a XT on the 9.8. IMHO you are compromising a lot in components just to get that carbon frame.

·
Registered
387 Posts
arashi said:
FYI: With the Fuel EX9 you get an RP24 Fox front fork (It has compression adj and lock out thresh hold adj along with the standard rebound and lockout) which is basically a Fox F120 RLC that is custom tuned for Trek. That is a way better fork than the F120 RL (just rebound and lockout) that is on the Fuel EX9.8. Also, you get an X0 rear derailuer on the EX9 and a XT on the 9.8. IMHO you are compromising a lot in components just to get that carbon frame.
Granted the RP24 has more adjustment over the F120RL, but even in this month's MBA they mention that the 4 position ProPedal is useless and they always left it fully open. And while the X-O rear may sport additional bling than over the "lowly" XT on the 9.8, it also means that you can only get the EX9 in SRAM drivetrain, whereas the 9.8 is all Shimano. I've never ridden anything but Shimano, and even though I swapped everything out for XTR on my 9.8 anyway, I would have preferred the Shimano stuff over SRAM personally. People should look at the 9.8 as an EX8 in terms of components, but with the same carbon frame as the 9.9. It's just the two models in that particular lineup.

·
Registered
248 Posts
bryanus said:
oh, the 9.8 also has some other "goodies" beyond the parts spec: the E2 oversized steerer system and the pressed in bottom bracket bearings (just insert your crank directly).
I'd go with the 9.8 if you can just insert your crank directly. Gives you something to do on those rainy days :eek:

·
SoCal mtbr
332 Posts
bryanus said:
Granted the RP24 has more adjustment over the F120RL, but even in this month's MBA they mention that the 4 position ProPedal is useless and they always left it fully open. And while the X-O rear may sport additional bling than over the "lowly" XT on the 9.8, it also means that you can only get the EX9 in SRAM drivetrain, whereas the 9.8 is all Shimano. I've never ridden anything but Shimano, and even though I swapped everything out for XTR on my 9.8 anyway, I would have preferred the Shimano stuff over SRAM personally. People should look at the 9.8 as an EX8 in terms of components, but with the same carbon frame as the 9.9. It's just the two models in that particular lineup.
Well I don't know how useful the propedal feature would be on the RP24 front fork but that F120 RL fork on the Fuel EX 9.8 does not have compression. The F120 RL does not have compression adjustment and it also does not have any compression feature at all compared to the RP24 which has compression and low speed compression adjustment. I know that sounds strange "How could a fork not have any compression feature? How does it keep from bottoming out?" I asked the same questions when I first heard about the RL forks compared to the RLC forks from fox. Just ask Push Industries and they will explain it to you further.

In the end to each his own I guess. I just don't understand what all the hype is about with carbon fiber frames. I don't understand why you would want to spend thousands (the EX9 is on sale for $2799 and the EX9.8 is not on sale with a price over $4k) just to have that frame and give up good components. I read somewhere at the beginning of this post that your Fuel EX9.8 carbon fiber bike weighs 28lbs....My Top Fuel 69er (alum frame) with full Shimano XT gear and regular Bontrager Race wheelset with tubes and XTR pedals weighs in at 27.1lbs. I guess I just don't see what all the hype is about with carbon fiber frames. I'm no racer just someone who likes to mtn bike after work and on the weekends so I guess I don't need it. :D

·
Registered
387 Posts
The F120RL absolutely has compression, it's just not externally adjustable. There was a huge thread on this in one of the other forums, and the Push guy was saying taht tehre wasn't, but in the end he was thinking of a different fork and he concurred that the "RLs" do have a compression circuit. It's just not an adjustable option on the RL line.

·
SoCal mtbr
332 Posts
bryanus said:
The F120RL absolutely has compression, it's just not externally adjustable. There was a huge thread on this in one of the other forums, and the Push guy was saying taht tehre wasn't, but in the end he was thinking of a different fork and he concurred that the "RLs" do have a compression circuit. It's just not an adjustable option on the RL line.
Oooooh...Yeah that is the thread I was referring too. That's good to know, I guess my Fox F29 RL isn't such a POS after all. :thumbsup: Back to the topic about the frame. What's the big hype about carbon fiber frames anyway? $4399 for the EX9.8 and $2799 (on sale) for the EX9 with better suspension and drive gear. Why would you want to pay $1600 for lower end components just to have a carbon fiber frame? I'm in no way trying to flame anyone who has a carbon bike just wondering why? I'd really like to know. :confused: To bryanus, you said your EX 9.8 weighed in at almost 28lbs right? What size is your bike? I have a friend who just picked up a EX 9 so I'll have him weigh his bike to compare.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
bryanus said:
Granted the RP24 has more adjustment over the F120RL, but even in this month's MBA they mention that the 4 position ProPedal is useless and they always left it fully open.
Was this the July or June issue? I did notice a difference in lockout "force" between the Fseries RLC on my Stumpjumper and the RP24 on my current EX9. The lock'd out fork on the EX9 still gives out a little more than the F series when it is fully locked out. The F-series lockout feels rock solid. The RP24 feels more like a ProPedal platform. Firmer, but still gives some travel.

-r.

·
Registered
387 Posts
rondre3000 said:
Was this the July or June issue? I did notice a difference in lockout "force" between the Fseries RLC on my Stumpjumper and the RP24 on my current EX9. The lock'd out fork on the EX9 still gives out a little more than the F series when it is fully locked out. The F-series lockout feels rock solid. The RP24 feels more like a ProPedal platform. Firmer, but still gives some travel.

-r.
I don't have the issue in front of me, but it's the most recent one as I just got it in the mail last week. It has a 1-page review of the 9.9 in it.

My 9.8 was 28lbs. I bought it used off the mtbr classifieds for $2200, which I thought was literally a "steal" at that price. It's a 17.5 Virtual size and the previous owner had changed out the tires for heavier 2.3 Weirwolfs. He also swapped out the cassette for some generic SRAM one and a few other things that contributed to the heavir than stock weight. I think the true stock weight is probably 26lbs-26.5lbs. given that the 9.9 weighs 25.5lbs with XTR pedals according to MBA. Another user posted here that their 15.5" 9.8 was 26.6lbs out of the box. I think the wheelset is the heavy point of this bike. My Stan's wheelset is about 1500g vs 1850 or so for the Rhythm Elites.

In regards to the pricing of carbon vs Alu, I'd say it's just a bleeding edge technology and material right now. So you'll pay through the nose for it. It's lighter and stiffer than the aluminum framed version, and also has the beefed up E2 headtube and pressed in bottom bracket (not sure if that's really a "plus", but it does allow the bottom bracket to be wider and therefore stiffer). It also looks just damn cool. And at the price I got it for, it was a no brainer. I was about to get the EX8 actually (couldn't justify the extra $800 + tax for the EX9 when I knew I'd be swapping all my XTR stuff to it anyway).

·
Registered
387 Posts
Oh I should probably add that there is no way in hell I would buy the 9.8 if I didn't get mine for the price I paid for it! As you said, it's just insanely expensive and the Trek sale is a super incentive to get one of the aluminum ones.

And as I mentioned before, how on earth can the 9.9 be an extra $3k OVER the 9.8???!! There just isn't an extra $3K in parts hanging on it to make up that price gap, especially when they share the same frame.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Just wait a while and the prices will come down. Last year
when the 09s started to come out I got a 08 EX 9.0 for $2700.
This is a carbon frame all XT bike. There are always good
deals for those that are patient.

Best, John

1 - 20 of 29 Posts