Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've finally settled on the Fuel EX 7 29er as my next bike. That being said, I can't decide if I should pull the trigger or wait until the 2015 models come out to get a better deal on the 2014? My local dealer has it at $2,499. TrekFest gives people $200 in free accessories but he said he'd apply that towards the price of the bike since I don't need/want accessories. His local store also has their own mini TrekFest going on that puts an extra $50 towards accessories. So out the door I'd be looking at $2,249+tax and $350 for Trek Care Plus (I'm pretty rough on my bikes so probably worth investing in it).

Do you folks think that's a fair price? I've read elsewhere that many people got Trek to heavily discount the Care plan or even throw it in for free. Even if this is a decent deal, it looks like prior year models go for about 35% off so would it be worth it to just wait another couple of months (2014 models were announced/released in May 2013). Thanks for listening to my indecisive and rambling thoughts, appreciate any input/suggestions you may have.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I guess that's up to you really. Do you really like the 2014 model, are you willing to possibly loose getting the current price if all of your size sell out while you wait and then are you willing to wait until they actually release the 2015s to get one? Sometimes you play the waiting game and win, sometimes you loose, especially if you ride Medium or Large. As to the bike itself, I think they're very nice bikes, guy down here has an EX9 and I've swung a leg over it, rides quite nice. Only thing I don't like about the Trek's is the Bontrager saddles, I had to use a make shift saddle 2 weekends ago from a cocnut and it was more comfortable than a Bonti saddle :p

·
Registered
874 Posts
I would buy it now. Trek said they were going to the "Apple" model of product releases, not one based on the calendar, but on when new advances and designs were available. So, new 29er Fuels in May might not be happening. My guess is they get the 27.5 version out first to replace the last real 26ers they have in the product line. Your pricing is average...not bad.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Lynx - I just about snarfed water out my nose after reading that coconut comment. Thanks for your input!

@Haymarket - Thanks, good point about release timing.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,351 Posts
Activate the detonator!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got my ex8 for 2500 two months ago
Wow, was that an out the door price? I ended up getting a slightly better deal than the one I was given originally, so was able to get out the door with Trek Care Plus for $2,700. I'm pretty happy with that.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I recently got mine a little more than a month ago for $2,124.99 + CA tax. I love it. I'm a smaller guy (5'5) and not as strong to toss the bike around but still love my EX7. I'm learning more "flow" style type of riding to compensate ;) Your price is good. Although I did see some peeps get their older model year or same year (maybe old stock EX8) for the same price I got mine or $150 more. I did upgrade my brakes to SLX ones and changed the rotors to 180mm FR/RR. Def go tubeless and I would ask for a free conversion to be thrown in as part of the deal. It's a great bike and you will be smiling all over the trail. Oh and make sure they set your suspension up right (esp. Your SAG settings) - makes a world of difference.

Now go pull that trigger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts