Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

After riding my Trek Fuel EX 9 for 3 months, I discovered that I hit the base of the bike as you can see in the picture. 2 months later, another hit, a smaller one.

Can anyone suggest what shoud I do? Do you think my frame is more fragile now? Can I repair this? I remember one thread that I guy put a carbon plane on this part of the bike, where can I find it?

Best Regards,

Rodrigo

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Abras said:
Hi Guys,

After riding my Trek Fuel EX 9 for 3 months, I discovered that I hit the base of the bike as you can see in the picture. 2 months later, another hit, a smaller one.

Can anyone suggest what shoud I do? Do you think my frame is more fragile now? Can I repair this? I remember one thread that I guy put a carbon plane on this part of the bike, where can I find it?

Best Regards,

Rodrigo

You can't repair a dent like that, but you can probably ride the bike. Just keep an eye on it. Otherwise call Trek and beg for a sympathy discount.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Pisgah said:
You can't repair a dent like that, but you can probably ride the bike. Just keep an eye on it. Otherwise call Trek and beg for a sympathy discount.
agreed. I'd keep riding it, and watch for it to get worse. Crash replacement is an option, but still going to be expensive with the discount.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Cut up an old tire and zip tie the casing in place. I have a split tube on the down tube of my bike, and it has taken the brunt of several golf ball sized rocks without leaving a mark.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Once a warranty, sympathy and crash replacement is ruled out, you can bondo over the dent and paint over it. You can also attempt to push the dent out with a dent hammer punch system which you can assemble yourself.

Like so. http://www.buy.com/prod/16-dent-rem.../q/sellerid/23032500/loc/66357/213584220.html

Youll have to drill a small hole in the frame to insert a punch. You drive the dent out with the punch with the frame over a wood base. The hole is closed with a piece of vinyl tape.

Aint perfect, but gets the jobs done. Its all a matter of how deft or daft you are with your hands, and if you can get the job done without compromising the frame integrity. I wouldnt make a hole larger than the head of a water bottle bolt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts