Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Five is right out
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know what length fork a Fuel 70 can run before exceeding frame capabilities or messing up the geometry too much?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
If you want to maintain original....

geometry and handling then no more than a 100mm fork is the way to go. Some of the older models were speced with 80mm forks, but 100 will work just fine. You won't exceed the capabilities for the frame with any REASONABLE fork. If you don't mind slowing the handling down and the bike feeling a little chopperish then a 120mm fork would be okay. Much over that and you can kiss your warranty good bye. But for the life of me I can't see why anyone would take a sweet handling XC bike like the Fuel and dork it up with a 120mm travel fork. The bike was designed to be a quick handling XC full suspension. Anything more than 100mm would screw that up IMHO. If you want longer travel Ebay the 70 and pick up an EX.

Good Dirt

·
2,548 Posts
Squash said:
geometry and handling then no more than a 100mm fork is the way to go. Some of the older models were speced with 80mm forks, but 100 will work just fine. You won't exceed the capabilities for the frame with any REASONABLE fork. If you don't mind slowing the handling down and the bike feeling a little chopperish then a 120mm fork would be okay. Much over that and you can kiss your warranty good bye. But for the life of me I can't see why anyone would take a sweet handling XC bike like the Fuel and dork it up with a 120mm travel fork. The bike was designed to be a quick handling XC full suspension. Anything more than 100mm would screw that up IMHO. If you want longer travel Ebay the 70 and pick up an EX.

Good Dirt
Agreed. I seem to remember reading somewhere here (a few years back, am assuming it would still apply) that Trek recommended no more than 100mm...and I also read someone state that Trek said 105 mm was OK, max....but, yeah, why screw up the handling of a fine xc ride.... I still run 80 mm on my Fuel 90, and it handles nice and quick :cool:.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts