Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Trek 6 Series yesterday..front fork is a RockShox Dart 1 100mm..

ITS TOO STIFFFF, can it be built differently? I weigh 135 and can barely get it to compress an inch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing to buy the "soft" springs? But how will I know how soft they really are. I don't want something I can "bottom out", but I do want to be able to achieve more than 1"-1.5" of travel.

It seems to me like they would specify a spring rate, instead of "soft" or "hard".

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Adjustments perhaps?

Are there any adjustments (preload specifically) that need to be considered before buying a new spring? If you can't even compress it an inch, it sounds like perhaps you need to back off on the preload a bit. If you bought the bike from an LBS, take it back and have them make it right for you. That's what you paid them for. If not, you'll need to read up on the fork and do the adjustments yourself. It's not hard at all.

Bob

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Generally speaking....

with a three spring option as with the Dart the ranges are pretty broad. The fork comes stock with a medium spring intended for riders in the 150 to 180lb, or possibly higher, range. The soft spring will be suitable for riders from 150lbs and below. The range between soft, medium and heavy is usually right at 30lbs (+ or -) of body weight. Some times as low as 20lbs of range, but that usually dictates at least one additional spring. So assuming a 30lb range I don't think you'll have any problems with the soft spring. Even at 20lbs between spring ranges the soft would still be right where you need to be. I've set up enough RS coil forks for light weight riders, and you need a soft spring. I'm amazed your LBS didn't order this for you right off the bat! Suspension set up is all part of bike setup and fit.

Anyway, order up the soft spring set, it's definately what you need and it definately won't be too soft for you.

Good Dirt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.