Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stuck can't decide... I'm coming off sch. Homegrown 26 that was stolen. Unfortunayley I can't get a test run of either here in downtown chicago, I run local trails every month and go outstate every year for a week long trip. I do ride back and forth to work 3 times a week in the city as well. I'm 5'11 215 rider that has been riding for 15 years and I haven't had a full suspension for almost 10 years (Gary fish. Joshua)

And of course i've never ridden a 29er either.

Hoping people could chime in on there opinions.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Here my two cents last year I rode a hard tail 29er specialized rockhopper expert and this year I'm riding a 2012 fuel ex 8. The reason for the switch back to 26er I ride tight single track and like to do small jumps, for me it just so much easier on a 26er to get air and land stable. I also like being agile, it just seems so much quicker on tight trail. I fell on both bikes in similar situation 29ers defiantly roll faster and are a lot of bike I'm 6'1 187lbs and found the 29er a lot of bike also makes some technical stuff easier like big roots. If I had the choice I would buy both. The 29er will probably commute to work better, on the rode, but for small jumps and easy trick being agile and quick I go 26er. Don't get me wrong I like 29ers I just prefer being more nimble, but in the end you can't go wrong with either of those bike. My vote fuel... , I also feel 29ers are more hype and advertising then results, but that just me unless your a cross country racer.

·
EMBA MTB Lead Instructor
926 Posts
I have a Rumblefish and my wife has a Fuel EX-5. She asked me to ride the Fuel to get my opinion... we are now in the process of selling the Fuel and getting her a Rumblefish.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The shop I race for has this year's EX 9 and Rumblefish 2 as demo/rental bikes. While they aren't in my size, the shop lackey's ride them quite a bit on our training rides. Their take is that both are agressive trail bikes. The Rumblefish adds the benefit of 29 inch wheels. The Rumblefish also carves surprisingly well. Both bike jump very well. Both bikes are on the wish list of most shop lackey's as daily riders. The Rumblefish is a little heavy at 30 lbs, but you can easily build some lighter wheels that are just as strong.

·
Registered
429 Posts
It's interesting that this question is on the forum right now. I had to answer this question for myself. Although my decision was between the Fuel EX8 and Rumblefish Elite.

I work at a Trek Concept store in Phoenix and was lucky enough to get to ride both. Here is my take on the two.

The Rumblefish pretty much rolls over everything effortlessly but I didn't think it climbed as well. Also it felt a bit slower to respond in the turns and the bike feels long. It will also roll faster once it is up and moving.

The Fuel feels more peppy and quicker to respond in the turns. It is a bit quicker to accelerate off the line too. Also climbing for me felt more natural on the Fuel.

Overall I really feel like it comes down to personal preference. I know that doesn't really help all that much.

On a positive note either bike you purchase will ride amazingly and you will enjoy every minute of riding.

I can give you more insight into my Fuel once it gets here either tomorrow or thursday!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just bought this puppy and must say I am over the moon with it. I push bikes hard and all i get from this bike is 'is that all you've got, ha' I know many bike can lay claim to be able to be chucked at anything thing but this bike is just off the chart.

I'm not an expert rider but a very keen and take it quite seriously, but I have found that I am so much faster than guys I had been on a level with for years. the thing murders anything that goes up and destroys anything that comes down.

My only grip is the colour. the EX 8 is a stunning matt black and so is all the other variations of of the 9, but this one is a goldy, champagne colour, a lot of people like it but i feel that a mid/upper mid range bike should be some sort of black.

good luck with whatever you go for

MB London

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback - I'm feeling like Fuel is the way to go - i'd like to get a ex 9.8,but if financially it doesn't work- ex9 will be great as well. thanks for the feedback and @mb london- i agree about the color- it just doesn't look great in pics but up close it's nice, just not a eye popper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts