Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone wanted to get some quick advice. I am selling my 07 Trek Fuel EX8 and it has a 17" frame with a 30" upper bar (whatever you call it?). I have it listed on craigslist and everyone that calls in says its too small for them? I am 6ft and they are usually 5'10 to 6ft and think it is too small and they need a bigger frame. I had talked to 2 guys at different shops about this and they both said that all bikes ride and feel different. that just because someone feels a 18.5 on one brand feels good, doesnt mean they need a 18.5 in a trek.

1. any ideas on this?

2. Another thing is, I see on the trek site that the frame comes in a 17.5 but mine says 17 on the frame and I measured it to be 17" any ideas on this? I bought it from a long reputable dealer local and opened for over 20 years. But they did just close down and cant call them. So I didnt buy it at a flea market or anything like that.

3. Last question: I have a guy that wants to come see the bike tomorrow but went to his local shop to try out an 09 trek fuel ex to see if my 07 will fit right. Would there be a big difference in the design and sizing in the different years? meaning is it good enough to try out an 09 ex and expect the 07 to fit the exact same?

thanks for all the help and I am excited to be part of this forum. :thumbsup:

Dr. Dan

http://www.MakeTheWorldYourStage.com

·
i ride a bicycle
156 Posts
not an expert but here goes
1- upper bar = top tube
on a 4 sale listing ,imo put medium 17 in
in our rider group by the 5 10 they are starting to look @ large frames 18.5
i agree different brands / sizes feel different , nothing like a test ride!
2- 17 or 17.5 is still a medium , could be different year on web site. imo no big deal
3- test ride 4 potential buyer is smart 4 both parties,b sure clean,lube,any xtras ready & b ready to adjust suspension if weight difference, this could make big difference
big change from 07 to 08 , not as big from 08 to 09 (says reviews,i did lots of research on 08 fuel 8, my purchase , love it!)
IMO makes no sense to test 09, to buy 07 ,way too much difference
again - no xpert ! hope this helps

·
Registered
331 Posts
They didn't start making the 18.5 until 2008. Your options for an 07 are to go with the 17.5or jump up to the 19" frame. I owned an 07 Trek Fuel 08 medium (17.5). I am 5'10" with a 32.5 inseam. I had the seat post all the way up and the bike still seemed almost too small for me. I now ride a large (19") Gary Fisher HiFi. It fits me perfectly. My suggestion is to go to your LBS and ride an 18.5 09 Fuel EX and see how it feels. My guess is that it will fit you alot better than a 17.5" frame and you will be alot happier with a larger frame. I would think that a 17.5" frame would be ideal for someone between 5'7" and 5'10", but alot depends on how the person is proportioned. Hope this helps. TB.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.