Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to make a decision on two bikes. It is between the Trek EX 9 and Gary Fisher Hifi Pro. I have ridden the EX 9 and Hifi Deluxe, albeit in barking lots and a size smaller than I need (no one carries 21" frames). Because these are "higher end" than most places carry, it's very hard for me to get any riding time. Both bikes seem to have about the same components. The EX 9 has a the Fox Talas RL fork (which I like) and the Hifi Pro has the Manitou Minute Super Air which I know nothing about. Does anyone have any thoughts between the two bikes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I was just thinking of the same thing. The specs are identical with the exception of the fork and the rear shifting - SRAM XO on the Fuel and XTR on the HiFi. Everyone that I've talked to about the HiFi has said that the hype is true - it does handle well. The HiFi frame is supposed to be quite light too. I've heard the rear shock on the HiFi is quite nice too - probably better than the one on the Fuel. The minute super fork has SPV dampening which is nice, where as the Fox could be upgraded to the RLC or X version by switching out the right leg cartridge. The Minute is lighter, but doesn't have the travel adjust of the Fox. I would really try to get on one of each that fits before pulling trigger. I got to ride a few 06's last year at one of the Trek dirt demos.

·
Registered
406 Posts
ill take a stab. i think the fox fork has longer travel and is probably a better fork (anybody correct me if im wrong) than the manitou. but the hifi has fishers new g2 geometry which, if it works for you, is pretty amazing. dont know enough about the materials in the frames to say, but trek has some hype on their site about the ex 9s aluminum. still, the hifi is pretty light and seems pretty strong too.

fwiw i have a hifi myself. i like it a lot. but then, ive never owned a trek, so hard to compare.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
Great choice to make!
IMO it comes down to a geometry/fit issue and that is completely personal/subjective. I feel like Gary nailed the new G2 geometry. Man does the HiFi handle! :thumbsup: I think it is the more intuitive machine in my hands and love how it feels effortless in tight, eastcoast singletrack. The Trek is maybe even more plush, but that is a compliment to how truly plush the EX is and not a knock on the HiFi. The HiFi has all the plushness I could ever want at this point in my riding life. That said, my money goes to buy the HiFi.

Enjoy!
OGG

·
Registered
54 Posts
You might want to travel somewhere where you can get your hands on these bikes in the size that fits you and really see what feels better. That is the bottom line, these are great bikes with solid components, legacy, etc. You will know which one to get when you spend some quality time with each one. I just love GF bikes so I went witht he HiFi Deluxe. While I haven't logged a lot of time yet, I already love this bike. I fit 19.5 - large frame. I haven't had a bike this wonderful in while. I was so pleased that it weighed in at 27 pounds even. Anyway, nuf of my rambling. If it is truly down to these two bikes - invest the time to try them both in your size. The right bike will choose you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe that the difference is how you are going to use the bike!! The HIFI is a 5 inch travel same as the fuel ex 9, but because of the geometry of the HIFI is more suitable for various types of terrains, singletrack, fire roads, small jumps, and so on......Also, because of this geometry is more popular with a average rider. The fuel ex 9 I believe is a XC machine. I guess I am in favor of the HIFI because I own a HIFI Pro. It's great!!!!!!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
i think you have it in reverse dragon.

the Hifi seems like the more XC oriented AM rig, while the EX seems like the more FR oriented one. EX frame is a little beefier, more raked feel. The Hifi is more of a dialed in high travel XC rig. Great geometry, XC feel, but more travel. I think the Hifi is lighter in some ways because the frame is a little less beefy.

Not that it isnt beefy enough.

Both stellar bikes. For my style im getting an EX8.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Both Are Great Bikes

They are both great bikes. I just pulled the trigger on an EX 8 in Jan. It is a great bike. I upgraded the wheels, shifters, seat post and rear shock. I have not ridden the HiFi but I tend to agree with OneGearGuy -- its a matter of fit and geometry. The bikes are very similar both in terms of the parts spec and purpose. The HiFi Pro is probably lighter and may be more nimble on switchbacks and tight singletrack and the RP23 is a better rear shock than the RPL. I cannot comment on the Manitou fork other than to say my last few bikes have been spec'd with Fox Float or Talas forks and they have worked great. The Fuel EX9 is a better all around bike, is more versatile and looks cooler IMO. That said, I just may add a HiFi Deluxe or Pro to my stable this summer as it is also an awesome bike. So many bikes...so little time...:madman:

·
Registered
682 Posts
ecrock45 said:
Same questions and decisions I'm trying to make - spooky. :skep:
Haha, yeah, I went into my local Trek / Fisher dealer and for what they have, these are the 2 choices for sure.

I really just have to ride each when they get the right sizes in stock, and see how it goes.

·
Registered
382 Posts
idk if this makes the decision easier for you but:

i dont trust manitou suspension quality and will not use their products. if you look in the Shock section of MTBR right now, you will see another manitou fork has exploded and could have killed the rider.

since the hifi uses a specific OEM manitou fork, it would rule that bike out for me. A) its manitou and they do not make a very good product, and B) i cant easily switch out forks without disrupting geometry.

the Ex8 has very good geometry as well, although it might feel a bit different, but it uses reputably the best fork name in the business, Fox, and any 130mm fork will do if you ever want to upgrade.

also, i was reccomended the ex8 by people who have ridden all of the famous botique bikes, such as intense, santa cruz, yeti, rocky mountain, and all of the household names as well, Trek, GF, Cdale, Spesh...not only do they ride, but they are professional athletes with their lives dedicated to the sport. the ex8 has a place in their very own stables, right along side of $5000 rigs of all sorts.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I've read that Manitou pulled their production back into the USA in order to address quality issues form the Taiwanese suppliers. My guess is that their new stuff is good. I've had good luck with Manitou stuff in the past.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I am a little weary on the Manitou fork too, but my sorta test around the store, overall feel of it, was alright. I guess at least it will be under warranty if something happens within the first little while. Sucks cause I really like the Hifi a lot other than the fork (and the drab colors)

·
Registered
120 Posts
i have an 06ex 9..and with pedals ,cages, and a computer it weighs 26.4lbs...i beleive its lighter then the hi-fi..i have riddin a hi-fi a little bit...i really like it...i really like my ex9 also...the 06 ex has a reba fork so i cant speak on the fox...like everyone else said...there so simalar u have to just ride them and pick which one feel best for you

·
You got any chocolate?
245 Posts
Either bike is a great choice for the type of riding they are intended for. I have a question for those that already own the HiFi. Is the propedal lever difficult to get to while riding due to its positioning on the bike?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I picked up my HiFi Pro two or three weeks ago and mostly rode on the trainer due to 4 degree temps. Fooled around with the propedal lever and it takes some getting used to switching it. Rode for 2 hours on Sat, and an hour tonight, both outside and had a little trouble switching it. I haven't paid attention to which side the lever is on when I go down to switch it yet, that would help. I really think it will be a simple repatition type of thing. Just need to practice feeling parts of the bike, however the lever is in a tight area. I haven't given the bike a through review yet because I haven't been on it long enough. I will say that it is very smooth and the shocks are good for dirt road pot holes. I don't see much bounce. The components have not given me any problems. I'm kind of new to longer rides and I found my left hand/arm went a little numb on the 2 hour ride. I ordered some ergo bar ends to add on.

So far I'm really happy with the bike and have no regrets.

BT

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.