Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to build up a Trek checkpoint. As this will be a dedicated gravel bike, I would like to build it correctly from the beginning. I know I want a 1X and eTap. I was thinking of going with a 46 chain ring combined with the force 1 10-33 cassette. Would love to hear some feedback an/or input on the drivetrain.

I’m going to stick with Trek wheels and get the Aeolus ProV. Panaracer best tire to mount?

I really need help and suggestions on the bar. This is my first gravel bike and I really don’t understand the flare necessity.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I use Salsa Cowchippers, 12° flare, and find myself on the drops quite often, I also feel more control/stable on dirt, and going down.

It really is a more comfortable position than a deep dropbar.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
A 1x with tight ratios doesn't take advantage of the benefits of robot shifting at all. I think the better mechanical shifters outperform etap on that set up. Add a FD and a wide ratio cassette and it's a different story.

The panaracer tires have a thicker sidewall than the herse tires. If you had solid descents and chunk then i'd go GK, but it seems like the herses might be better for your circumstances?

More flare gives you more stability in the drops. I'm using a 46cm roadie bar, but if my gravel bike was more dirt-oriented and i wasn't so broad i'd want some flare.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use Salsa Cowchippers, 12° flare, and find myself on the drops quite often, I also feel more control/stable on dirt, and going down.

It really is a more comfortable position than a deep dropbar.
Comfortable as the 150 mile comfortable?

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Comfortable as the 150 mile comfortable?
Haven't ridden that long on them, but some 30/50mile rides yes.

Bars are like saddles, very personal, but I would at least try them out. Of course if you are looking to be super aerodynamic, they may not be ideal. For mixed terrain, they are great.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE - so I made a deal with my LBS and went ahead to upgrade to the RED AXS eTap with power meter. Decided on the Easton EC70 AX bars and Panaracer gravel king +. Stoked to get it done. Curious what the weight is going to be 🤔

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just stopped by a Trek Shop, and saw this beauty. A SL Checkpoint with Aeolus Pro 3V, wearing Bontrager XR1 2.0 29er tires. Good thing I didn’t have my bike rack with me!

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why not go for the standard builds from Trek?

Personally, I would try to keep things “cheap” on a gravel bike as components wears out much faster. It is crazy how much more service my gravel bike needs over my road bike. I had plans to put Ultegra or Dura Ace Di2 on it, but I have completely changed my mind now.

And why a 1X drivetrain? It doesn’t make any sense to have less gears really.

Rather focus more on durability and strenght of components rather lightweight. So that means also no fancy carbon bar.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice!! I’m super stoked to see a 2.0 tire fit on these wheels. Did you happen to notice if they had the dropouts all the way back?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where do I start.... My built Checkpoint will:

1) Weigh about 4 lbs less than stock SL6 even
2) Have full carbon wheels built for gravel
3) Have the new 1X 12 speed RED eTap AXS full group set including hydro brakes
4) Have Panaracer gravel king tires
5) And I’ll be about $1K more than the stock SL6
6) Have SRAM RED power meter spider
7) Have the flexibility to swap over to 2X chainrings with the RED eTap crankset
8) be built for me by me!

That enough reasons?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why not go for the standard builds from Trek?

Personally, I would try to keep things "cheap" on a gravel bike as components wears out much faster. It is crazy how much more service my gravel bike needs over my road bike. I had plans to put Ultegra or Dura Ace Di2 on it, but I have completely changed my mind now.

And why a 1X drivetrain? It doesn't make any sense to have less gears really.

Rather focus more on durability and strenght of components rather lightweight. So that means also no fancy carbon bar.
See my post above. I didn't hit reply with quote.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where do I start.... My built Checkpoint will:

1) Weigh about 4 lbs less than stock SL6 even
2) Have full carbon wheels built for gravel
3) Have the new 1X 12 speed RED eTap AXS full group set including hydro brakes
4) Have Panaracer gravel king tires
5) And I'll be about $1K more than the stock SL6
6) Have SRAM RED power meter spider
7) Have the flexibility to swap over to 2X chainrings with the RED eTap crankset
8) be built for me by me!

That enough reasons?
I like it . tbh . gl on the build . do you have an IG to follow

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.