Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying a used carbon Boone Disc that is in great shape. Has the ISO-speed and is well equipped, would be primarily for gravel riding and occasional fun racing (i’m not going to be a front to the pack guy and that’s OK). I have no intention of cyclocross racing or riding.

Can I put 40mm tires on that thing without any trouble? Favorite 700c40 tires that I can run tubeless but not break the bank? Has 32’s on it now. Any other detractors on going with the Boone?

Thanks.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm in the process of converting my few-year-old Boone to be my pure geared gravel bike. The rims I'm using are 22.5mm DT's (from a Spline 1501 mtb wheelset I parted out.) WTB Resolute 42 fit fine up front, not in back. Nothing surprising there. I went with their 35 Cross Boss and that still leaves plenty of room between the stays. I also at one time had a 38 Specialized Tracer (or Trigger?...their file tread tire) on a bit narrower rim and had decent clearance.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I use my Boone for Gravel rides/racing and cyclocross and have been very happy with it. Light, fast and smooth with bigger tires and the Isospeed. I think the IsoCore bars help also. I have ran very hard over some rought stuff. Very stable.
I'm running Maxxis Rambler 38 lb rear, 40 on the front with no issues. Normal pressure at 30/32 lbs - I weigh around 160 - tubless.
I did pur a larger rear cog ( 11-36 ) which helps on the steeper longer hills.
For me it is the perfect bike for these types of riding.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I bought the bike and set it up with Rambler 40s on the stock 17mm rims. I read that those tires are actually about a 38 when mounted. They clear fine and actually have room for more on the rear if needed. The bike has SRAM Red setup but the gearing is 12/30 with a 36/46 drive. I need more on both ends so I’ve ordered an 11/34 cassette. hoping that the Red works OK with that range of gearing...

Really like the bike and the tires both. Handles our crappy gravel roads just fine and does a great job of smoothing out the rough and chatter. I had ridden my buddies alloy Warbird and the ride quality of this Trek is night and day better.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just added a set of Bontrager Aeolus XXX2s ( 21mm rims ). It removed some rotating weight and rides great. The 38 works fine on the back. I had a 40 when I first got it and it was a tad tight.

Enjoy your Boone. Loving mine.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
My only comment is in the context of this being a MTB site, and now being so old I can say everything was a gravel bike when I was a kid. Someone used to modern MTBs or wanting more trail riding might want a more slack bike. Someone liking a road and steeper bike might prefer a cross type.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My only comment is in the context of this being a MTB site, and now being so old I can say everything was a gravel bike when I was a kid. Someone used to modern MTBs or wanting more trail riding might want a more slack bike. Someone liking a road and steeper bike might prefer a cross type.
I get that. And if I had a few extra thousand to spend, I probably would've bought a new carbon gravel rig. But alas, I have a $1k bike that has the benefits of carbon along with some 40mm tires so I'm happy for now...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the bike done. Ended up buying some Hunt 4season alloy wheels because the Bontrager tlr’s leaked at the seams badly and would spew sealant every ride. I could’ve run tubes with them but I wanted to go tubeless for the ride and the Hunt wheels have been great so far. The rims are 21mm internal and that has cut my rear tire clearance to near nothing. I plan to get a 38mm Rambler rear for it. No room for mud With that 40.

We have some steep and hilly rural roads so I changed the stock 12/28 cassette to a Deore 11/34. Also changed the small front ring from a 36 to a 34. This gives me a 1x1 ratio in the lowest cog which is overkill for all but the steepest/softest uphill but I can change my front back if I decide to. I had to replace the derailleur with a SRAM MTN bike derailleur I had laying around from another project. I used an in line barrel style cable adjuster and it works amazingly well with the Red shifter. I couldn’t be happier with the way the drivetrain has worked out. Really slick shifting with a great range of gearing.

The bike rides amazingly well. I am a believer in that Trek iso-speed stuff. Really compliant and comfy ride. I don’t have a scale but it is lighter than my Cannondale carbon Synapse even with those big tires and you can feel it pedaling uphill. I’ve only got a few 20 to30 mile rides on it but I’m loving it.

I’ve got about $1400 in it now, wheels, tires and all. Not a bargain basement job but for sure couldn’t have come close to a new rig set up with the drivetrain and weight of this one for that price.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Got the bike done. Ended up buying some Hunt 4season alloy wheels because the Bontrager tlr's leaked at the seams badly ...
Did you use the Bontrager rim specific molded rim strip and o-ring valve stems? The rims are designed to be used with them. I've used them on road and mtb and they were super easy to set up and bulletproof in my experience. They're the best tubeless setup, IMO.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you use the Bontrager rim specific molded rim strip and o-ring valve stems? The rims are designed to be used with them. I've used them on road and mtb and they were super easy to set up and bulletproof in my experience. They're the best tubeless setup, IMO.
They had rim strips in them. I didn't use bontrager stems. The seams of the rims would flex and leak. I weigh about 240 so that doesn't help...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.