Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll open this can of worms here rather than the 29er forum and this is just my opinion;)

I've been riding for awhile and have been somewhat "serious" for like four years now and when I got "serious" I also got a case of the boutique mindset .
So I kinda turned my nose up at TREK, too mainstream, not exclusive enough for me or whatever. Last four years I've had some Santa Cruz and Niners.

I currently have a EMD9 and a JET9. I really like the EMD9 for a mix of dirt and commuting, geometry is great. I've been looking at getting something a little more aggressive than the JET9 for dirt. I really like the bike but it's just not slack enough.

Anyways as I've been looking around with roughly a 4k budget TREK seems really hard to beat for what you get!! I have been looking at the JET 9 , Turner, Ibis, Intense even Specialized and dollar for dollar I don't see anyone giving you more than TREK. Even though I know some guys who wouldn't ride a TREK if you gave it to them!

I've also ridden the FS Treks and that ABP suspension has me sold and like I said dollar for dollar your getting better components on the TREK. More for your dollar.

After thinking of it awhile here are my theories.

First TREK is the biggest by far. They have more money for research and development than anyone out there, like coming up with that ABP! Secondly since they are the biggest they have more buying power than anyone else, so I think they get better deals from guys like SRAM, FOX, Shimano etc. and can give you more for your money.

Sounds like I'm a Trek rep or something! lol! But I'm not I'm just trying to convince myself to get over being a bike "snob" if you will.

Bottom line is I want to be on the best bike for the money. I don't care what the name on it is and right now TREK seems to be it.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not going to get much of an argument here, I've owned a bunch of bikes but my SF 100 (now a SF F/S) has been hard to beat in terms of bang for the buck.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I recently bought a 2014 Superfly FS 8 full suspension bike with Fox forks and shock, mixture of SLX and XT drivetrain, SLX brakes, 142 x 12 rear axle (whatever that means). The price I paid for this full suspension bike is the same price other manufacturers are asking for similarly specced hardtails.

Definitely best bang for buck although Giant are pretty good too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I concur, I have done a lot of shopping in the past few months and tried to find bikes in the same price range with the same features as the fuel, and everything else comparable was at least $500.00 more than my fuel

·
Attack Position
151 Posts
I did the same comparison with a $1000 less and arrived at the same conclusion. Best bike for the money.

·
Desert Seeker
241 Posts
I know what you mean by the "bike snob" thing. I'm pretty geeky about researching all of the (29er) models and what not. I've owned a couple of Niner RIPs over the years and my current bike is a 2012 Transition Bandit 29, which I like much more than the RIPs I've owned. I attended Poison Spider's Spring Thaw event in Moab a couple of weeks ago and rode 6 different bikes (Intense Carbine, Pivot Mach 429, Kona Satori, Yeti SB95C, Norco Sight and Trek Remedy 9). The only bike I liked as much or maybe more than my Bandit was the Trek! I wasn't expecting to like it but it just came down to the ride/suspension/fit. Long story short - my lightly-used Trek frame just arrived by UPS yesterday and I'm psyched to build up great handling, lightweight Remedy 9!

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
I can agree with you to a certain extent. The Treks I've demoed have been solid performers. The bikes in their demo fleet, Remedy, Fuel EX, Stache are stable. But I went for the Superfly 9.8(frame). It has the 435mm chainstays the market likes and a bit lower(5mm) bb drop than last year's 9.9SL. It's a little bit edgy compared to the others. It's probably the 51mm fork offset on top of the short chainstays. More fun for me but not exactly traditional.
The whole Apollo Project carbon hard tail with the road bike carbon engineering guys comes from their manufacturing resources.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
I echo that scentiment too. My 2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro Carbon STOLE my heart after extensively testing ALL these lightweight carbon rides:

Specialized S-Works Epic 29
Niner Jet9 RDO
Santa Cruz Tallboy C
Rocky Mountain Element 999RSL
Turner Czar
Ibis Ripley
Yeti SB95c

1 - 8 of 8 Posts