Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm building my 91 Trek 950 into an SS. I was thinking of using my 89/90? Diamondback Apex as well, but think tht Trek would be better...

I haven't seen a lot of Trek builds, any particular reasons? Anything I should watch out for?

So far I'm just replacing the cassette with a gusset single speed conversion kit. I'll probably end up changing the chainring as well. Anything else I should start with? (tensioner, if necessary of course...)

any thoughts on adding a suspension fork?

thanks for any info... I only got back into riding a couple of years ago, my Enduro is great, but sometimes, its just too easy!

thanks for any info and encouragement!

skery

·
Registered
494 Posts
I just bought my wife's first mountain bike back from her mom. Its also a '91 950 with a beautiful lugged steel frame-its dark green. I'm looking forward to hearing the replies, as my intent is to build it up as a ss as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice Job!

I'm not going as far as you. I'm not doing any painting. Everything would just about be done except I'm waiting on cog from my LBS. Then Istripped my crank pulling it off to remove the small chainring, can't get that back on. So I found a square tapered truvativ on closeout at Jenson for $39... not bad... We'll have to see how the chain tension works, hopefully I can get it to work without a tensioner...

can't wait to get it ridable...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had good luck...

As for your trek questions. I too have had good luck with Trek conversions. My wife has a 950 from her highschool days, which we converted to SS. It rides awesome and she loves it!

I also just picked up a 990 from ebay this week. I have been upgrading the heck out of my Bianchi BOSS for about a year now...I am excited to build up that 990 with all these good parts I have accumulated. I may have to build a eno rear though if I can't get the magic gearing. Good luck with your build and post some pics when you're done!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm also in the process of building a 95/96'ish TREK 930 into a SS. Came stock with a Rock Shox Quadra 10 fork - wondering what size fork I can put on? 80mm? 100mm? Without messing up the frame geometry too much

·
Registered
553 Posts
disco said:
I'm also in the process of building a 95/96'ish TREK 930 into a SS. Came stock with a Rock Shox Quadra 10 fork - wondering what size fork I can put on? 80mm? 100mm? Without messing up the frame geometry too much
Measure the axel to crown of the old fork, and then find a new fork with a similar measurement.

axel to crown = distance from the center of the axel to the crown race.

I have a 930 with a 10mm RS Judy fork, and it has significantly slackened the geometry.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Greenfix said:
Measure the axel to crown of the old fork, and then find a new fork with a similar measurement.

axel to crown = distance from the center of the axel to the crown race.

I have a 930 with a 10mm RS Judy fork, and it has significantly slackened the geometry.
Thanks for your reply. You mean 100mm?

I'm thinking something in the 80mm (travel) range would be o.k.

But, having read the FAQ section, I am considering going with a rigid fork - how hard is it to find a 1 1/8" diameter rigid fork?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SpinWheelz said:
Bollocks. Rigid is best!
this is actually something I've been struggling with. I see lots of people with rigid, and even being able to buy new rigid forks for ss'.

I basically stopped mountain biking in the early 90's before shock forks came in, because my arms always killed going down the local trails. I didn't want to buy a new bike then, and never found the right fork at the right price to replace mine. I then just lost interest and moved on until a couple of years ago, when the FS sucked me back in...

So, I want a shock in the front. I'm sticking with rigid because that's what I have. If I have to replace my headset, stem and fork it gets beyond my wrenching abilities and my budget. I'd just assume buy the new Specialized Hardrock SS or something similar and get a shock and disk brakes like I want, for just a little bit more, without the hassle of a build.

that being said, There must be a reason for rigid beyond being cheap, and not searching out the right solution. People do it on purpose, you are saying rigid is best. Why? because its just simple, and that's part of the beauty of SS? Is there a comfort, efficiency aspect I'm missing?

I'm not sure if I'm looking for justification for being cheap and lazy, or genuine curiosity or both. in any event, why did you choose rigid v soft or vice versa?

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
I was only half teasing with the rigid comment. I do have a rigid fork on my Trek singlespeed, as you can see from that thread. It's actually the stock fork. And I kept the rigid fork because this bike is used primarily on the road, hence the moustache bars and street tires (I've not learned to control well with moustache bars on the trails yet).

But I also have another singlespeed monstrosty that sports a Kona Project 2 rigid fork as well. And that is totally a trail-going bike. For that, I appreciate the precision I feel when I steer, and mad as it sounds I actually Iike the idea that I 'feel' more with the rigid fork rather than have suspension damping that eats it all up. I've only ever ridden it on pretty smooth trails without too many large rocks or knobby roots.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of suspension. After all, my full suspension bike sports a Lefty fork it doesn't get much squishier than that!

·
Professional Slacker
173 Posts
skery said:
I haven't seen a lot of Trek builds, any particular reasons?
Another Trek build.. a '95 970. It was a blast and got me hooked.

It has recently been stripped of most of its componets, to finally rebuild my Steelman with ENO ! Pics coming soon. The 970 will also be rebuilt ss, but with lesser quality parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Geometry is going to be tough to mirror

disco said:
your quadra was probably 63mm or 70mm max. the 80mm would be your best option of modern forks, or a SID that will go down to 63mm.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Potential Roadkill said:
your quadra was probably 63mm or 70mm max. the 80mm would be your best option of modern forks, or a SID that will go down to 63mm.
thanks for your reply, I am thinking of going rigid however as this bike will mainly be used on the road and light trails

I've got my Liquid for the rough stuff :D

these threads have got me so pumped up to try this! maybe I'll get it done this weekend, will post pics when it's running - need to find a rigid fork that will fit this 930, using the axle to crown measure from my quadra (or something close to that) should be good, right? I'm guesssing there isn't too much difference in most rigid 26" forks unless of course they are SS specific made for 100+.

And I'm confused with what chainring to go with - probably the big one? (don't know teeth counts yet)

·
Registered
182 Posts
skery said:
that being said, There must be a reason for rigid beyond being cheap, and not searching out the right solution. People do it on purpose, you are saying rigid is best. Why? because its just simple, and that's part of the beauty of SS? Is there a comfort, efficiency aspect I'm missing?

I'm not sure if I'm looking for justification for being cheap and lazy, or genuine curiosity or both. in any event, why did you choose rigid v soft or vice versa?
maybe i havent been spoiled by suspension so my ignorance is my bliss?? my (now sold) geared bike had a pretty cheap suntour/sunrace 80mm front fork... when i switched to rigid i didnt notice any loss in ride quality. actually, i rode a friends $$$$$ santa cruz blur w/ some 1000$ fox fork and wasnt too impressed. this is all on what is considered one of the rockiest local trails, no less... not some flat fireroad.

so, i didnt lose anything by going to rigid except WEIGHT .. meanwhile getting better looks and handling/tracking

·
robust, yet smooth
473 Posts
65mm

Potential Roadkill said:
According to the Factory Propoganda, my '99 930 has a 65mm RS Jett T2 (ugggh). I'm going to relace it with a better 80mm..

Good luck,

-capt p

·
Registered
120 Posts
disco said:
thanks for your reply, I am thinking of going rigid however as this bike will mainly be used on the road and light trails

I've got my Liquid for the rough stuff :D

these threads have got me so pumped up to try this! maybe I'll get it done this weekend, will post pics when it's running - need to find a rigid fork that will fit this 930, using the axle to crown measure from my quadra (or something close to that) should be good, right? I'm guesssing there isn't too much difference in most rigid 26" forks unless of course they are SS specific made for 100+.

And I'm confused with what chainring to go with - probably the big one? (don't know teeth counts yet)
just an update on my progress, phase 1 is complete with mounting the rigid fork, adding v-brakes to the front, and removing the front derailer. Picked up a rigid fork for $10 from the LBS and a v-brake for $15 with lever. I got inspired to flip my bullhorns over so that they have a drop type look with the bar end parts pointing down. I want to cover them in black tape but I want the cushioning of the grips that are already on there. I'm thinking I could wrap right over them.

I have to say that there is so much info and goood advice on this site that I would have never attempted it without reading up on here first. Removing/reinstalling the crown race to the headset went very smoothly once I knew what to do. I picked up some 1 1/4" PVC to help tap down the race, and it can also be used for cog spacing once i'm ready. Need to pick up cassette tool, chain whip and crank pullers to start messing with gearing. The bike already looks so much cleaner with the rigid fork w/v brakes, and no front derailer. The old brake lever was a canti-brake/shifter combo so it's trimmed down to just a brake lever now too. Front end is noticeably lighter without the crap elastomer Rock Shox Quadra fork also. I'm anxious to take it for a ride already!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.