Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a cheap bike to mess around with to help me decide if I will love the sport and am willing to spend $1500 on a bike. I have found a mid '90's Trek 930 shx for $175 and a mid 2000's Raleigh M80 for $200. Which should I go for? Bicyclebluebook.com values the Trek higher even though it is older. Thoughts?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are both my size. The Trek looks to be in good shape, but I won't know until I can inspect it. The Raleigh was just tuned at a bike shop and is in great shape.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Pick the one that fits best and is in the best shape.

Keep in mind though, these bikes are not going to ride anything like current production bikes (I've got an old Trek 850 that I jump on every now and then...It feels weird to me vs my X-Cal).

Neither bike has a great fork. The trek has a quadra...that's a really primitive design and there is a good chance the thing is shot. The Raleigh has a Manitou Six for (I think), ehh...a bit better than the old quadra but still...it wasn't a really well reviewed fork.

Trek has STX components vs the Raleigh Deore group...bit of an edge to the Raleigh here. But again, wear is critical. Worn out parts are not going to serve you well. You need to check the condition.

Bottom line....whichever one fits best. That is number one. Bad fit = bad time. Number two is condition. A bike that fits great but has blown shocks and a worn cassette is no better than an ill fitting bike in good condition.

·
I like pie.
585 Posts
Ah! The Trek 930. I loved that bike in 1993. Fond memories. My first real Mtn bike. It was a size too large and I switched to a 16" 950 a year later. IMO it way too dated to be useful in making a decision. So I will agree with others and give my vote for the Raleigh. At least you can throw a modern fork on it and not mess up the geometry

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have a 95 Trek 970 that I built up from the frame. Great bike, but not stock or period correct. For what you want to do, I'd go with the Raleigh if it fits and is in very good condition.

The Trek will work, but it may be 7 speed, cantilever brakes, square taper crank, etc. that is not current enough especially if you want to move on from it to a new bike.

John

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where are you looking to ride? Are you wanting to take the bike to Blankets/Rope Mill or Big Creek?
I havent figured that out yet. I think I want to do XC riding and I am told there are a number of good places around ATL. I need to start out on something easy to work on my skills and build confidence before tackling anything too challenging.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.