Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to get a little advice for a stepping off price point. My wife and I are just starting on light trails and asphalt with my 7 and 5 year olds, so not doing anything to intense yet but would like to plan for the future.

I'll be honest I was in Walmart and fell for all the bells and whistles the NEXT bikes had for under $200. Before I arrived home I realized my mistake. We are now looking at Trek 820's from a local shop for around $350.

Is this a decent price for a beginner? Just want to make sure I'm not still going to cheap. Don' have a lot to spend but don't want to buy junk either. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was looking to get a little advice for a stepping off price point. My wife and I are just starting on light trails and asphalt with my 7 and 5 year olds, so not doing anything to intense yet but would like to plan for the future.

I'll be honest I was in Walmart and fell for all the bells and whistles the NEXT bikes had for under $200. Before I arrived home I realized my mistake. We are now looking at Trek 820's from a local shop for around $350.

Is this a decent price for a beginner? Just want to make sure I'm not still going to cheap. Don' have a lot to spend but don't want to buy junk either. Thanks for any advice!
If you are only sticking to pavement, those would be fine IMO. But from my research (just started myself), for anything that will actually touch any dirt, I would not go anything under a 3700.

I ended up with a 4300 and a Cali S for the wife. Many here would still say those are not up to par for any actual trails, but they have been great so far on the trails.

I would look for last years models at a discount. I found mine for over $200 off. I went to get the 3700 for myself but they had a left over 4300 for the same price. Or you can find some good deals for used.

·
Registered
13,057 Posts
I have built a few 820s out of the box while working at bike shops. they are fine for pavement and LIGHT trail use. the 80s is certainly a few steps above a Walgoose/Next POS, but not by a whole lot. they are not going to hold up to anything most of us would consider "fun" trails, just doodling around in parks and bike paths. they also weigh a ton, unless Trek has updated them since a last had to hoist one into a bike stand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.