Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When looking at both Trek 8000 and the Scott Scale 40, I have realized they are almost identical.

Between the Scott Scale 40 and the Trek 8000 which would you recommend and why? Plus any other brands that are comparable.

As a final remark, is there any truth in the rumor that Scott frames less durable to reduce their cost and are prone to cracking and bending?

Thanx for the help

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Virtualy every maker has had cracked frames ,Scott has not had an extraordinary amount of issues . All the major brands have bikes that compare very favorably at this price point . Giant seems to be a very good value this year , you may want to keep shopping .

·
Registered
248 Posts
If almost identical I would choose based on fit, cost and warranty service. Do you have the opportunity to test ride either of them? If not on dirt as a demo then at least down the road and back from the shop. Both are decent bikes.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I like the Scott just because of its looks. If you Compare them its like comparing apples to apples. Unless you ride them and figure out which one you like by feel, I would go with the Scott just because of the paint job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
aTrolley said:
When looking at both Trek 8000 and the Scott Scale 40, I have realized they are almost identical.

Between the Scott Scale 40 and the Trek 8000 which would you recommend and why? Plus any other brands that are comparable.

As a final remark, is there any truth in the rumor that Scott frames less durable to reduce their cost and are prone to cracking and bending?

Thanx for the help
I had a 2008 Scale 50, I had problem with the bike from start to finish the times i drove it back to the dealer more times than riding it, then around a year of owning i noticed the frame cracked in 4 places on the chainstay area last october, The bike was a gift and i believe the shop ordered the wrong size for me as my wife purchased it as a b'day gift. I'm just under 6ft2" and its a xxl so when i said to the shop owner i feel i could do with a xl he was adamant the replacement frame will be another xxl before christmas that was the last time i saw the bike as im still waiting for a xl demo he said that on its way to try out. so now i feel negative with the about the product, Scott dealer and Scott uk aftersales service. Its good job i still have my 1995 Stumpjumper to use in-which I have never had one problem with.
My wife has a 2005/6 Trek 8000 and its been bomb proof. So its 1-0 to Trek in this household.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Here's a "bit" off topic... (related to me cause I'm looking to shop for a second bike).

Why would you spend 2 grand on a hardtail? If you're gonna spend that much, why not get a full squishy?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.