Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have an older Trek 8000 bike. I do a fair amount of trail riding, gravel and street riding.

Recently i had a pad fall off and i need to replace it. But I am not sure what i need to buy to do so. At the same time, my tires also need to be replaced.

I am hoping some folks could recommend some pads for it in addition to some new tires?

Last, i was told at one point that if i could get bigger tires for it i would be better served. Is that even possible with this bike? I believe i have are 26".

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe it is called something different? These are not disc breaks but the old school break with the rubber pad that when squeezed put friction against the tire to slow the bicycle.

I did check the local shop who told me the only way to do it was to bring it in and have them do it and would not sell me the part. I believe I could do it for far less than the $150 they quoted me.

·
Super Moderator
4,927 Posts
Yep, it's still called a brake pad.

If the shop wont sell you a brake pad set and tires then find a different shop. Advice and parts recommendation should always be free.

·
Super Moderator
4,927 Posts
Don't get me wrong, for sure you can ask the questions here.

Brake pads will depend on if you have v-brake, cantilever or even older and tires fitment really depends on the frame and tire manufacturer, they're not all the same width (even if they are marked as such). Also tread pattern, casing design and tire composition will hugely affect the pricing.

I'm just saying that a good shop will get you the correct pads and show you different tires in-person so you can make a better informed decision.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah I understand better now and that is fair.

We don't have many options here for shops that do this sort of thing that I have found.

This is an older bike that perhaps has served its purpose over the course of 20 years.

Is this the place to ask for a recommendation on something new for lets say under $1200. I know i am in a trek sub forum here but am open to anything.

Maybe it truly costs that much to do the work for the breaks alone based on what you said. If the case, i would rather put my money towards something new since that price hasn't even gotten to the tires yet which I know has a wide range, but would guess it will run me at least an additional 100-150 as best guess.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,876 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would appreciate that. When I get home I will crack a pic of it and the bike.

It has been a great bike that has a ton of miles on it and still going strong.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,876 Posts
it'll get figured out

yes the goal should be:

keep the 8000 and get it functional, on the cheap

don't try to upgrade the 8000, just get it running, maybe decent 26 inch tires

save money and get all new bike when possible.

but an 8000 that is functional is missing nothing to handle trails.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses.

The main issue is the pad needing to be replaced. It fell off while riding and oddly enough the next day when I went out i found the pad but that was all.

The tires are something that I have needed for some time is all and I wasn't sure if when i replaced the pad, that it would change the pads needed. I was only thinking that I would do it at the same time if it made sense.

Product Line Black Grey Metal
Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Rim Bicycle accessory
Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle wheel rim Rim

Does this help at all determine the pad needed?

Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
767 Posts
Any V-brake pad will work. I also want to be clear about what you mean when you say tire. Tire is the rubber that goes on the rim, which is part of the wheel. The brakes are not meant to contact the tire. The brakes contact the rim.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The pads are not contacting the tire and contact the rim. Sorry for the confusion. The third picture is of the rear tire and there isn't much tread left and is why i was considering replacing them.

Great to hear that any v-brake pad will do. Are there any differences in them or do you have a recommendation on a particular one? Also I think while i replace the front ones I might as well replace the rear pads as well and they look to be the same. Is this generally the case?

Thanks again for the assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.