Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trek 8000 Is Singing To Me, but....

is it worth taking the $1,300 plunge?

I am considering buying my first mountain bike, and I get strong recommendation to get Trek 8000 from my LBS. It looks like a nice bike by specs and it felt good on a short test ride. I am also getting about $250 discount off MSRP. So all in all it seems like a great deal, and I doubt I can get anything much better elsewhere in this price range. I also want to stick with my LBS.

My question is should I be spending this kind of money on a bike that I will be riding about once every other week? It takes an hour drive for me to get to the nearest MTB trail, which I will probably visit 20-25 times a year at best. I just see no reason to ride MTB bike on the roads around my house - I've got a couple of road bikes for that. For grocery runs I have a cheap cruiser that I am not afraid to leave outside, not with a beefy chain around it anyway :p

On the other hand I enjoyed my only MTB ride so far, and I know that I'd like to get a hardtail and get into the sport. I have a high end road bike ('02 Trek 5900) and to me its worth every penny I spent because I ride 70-90 miles a week on it. My alternative to Trek 8000 would be spending substantially less, around $500-$700. Would a bike at this price range be able to take the kind of abuse that more expensive bikes take on fairly technical MTB trails? Will my fun factor go down substantially from riding a cheaper bike?

I appreciate any input on this thread, as I am a total noob when it comes to MTBs. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Buy it!

If you can afford to spend the grand, I say buy it. Whether or not you ride every day or every other weekend is not important IMO. You want to ride a bike that has the right level of components so that you get optimal performance on the trail. You already know this based on having bought a quality road bike. The same principle applies here.

You've already ridden the 8000 and like it, so if it's not going to put a crimp on your budget, I say take the plunge and enjoy your new bike.

Bob

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Buying a bike with quality components makes the ride that much better. If you enjoy your trail riding you might just park that sniffer bike & stick to the real thang. Good clean fresh air, challenging terain, trees, rocks ohhh so sweet. :cornut:

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
How tall are you? What kind of riding. If over 5'10" I'd also take a look at Trek's Gary Fisher line of 29er hardtails.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The question for me at this point is not which bike to choose but how much money to spend given my relatively modest usage requirements. One thing I want for sure from a bike is durability, and I don't know whether cheaper components will hold up under the stress for long. I am not much of a wrench, so I'd prefer to keep repairs to a minimum. I want to get at least 5 years out of a bike before major replacements are needed.
$1,300 won't break the bank, but its also not a chump change for me.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Another thought

Would you consider buying direct? If so, look at this. AWESOME deal for $700 and more than enough for the weekend warrior. Parts spec will last without longing to upgrade.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-X7-Details.html

If buying direct isn't an option, then go back to the LBS and see what other options you have for less money. Given your original post, I thought you'd fallen in love with the 8000, hence the recommendation to pull the trigger.

Bob

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you want to just "get into the MTB scene" then look at the Ibex that Clyde showed you,you can't beat the components/price on it. Or look at the
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-Details.html if you want to keep a similar componentry level and still pay less. Do realize though that both bikes only hav 80mm of travel...if that is enough for you then cool. Also for 1300 if you are willing to go with online, you could get a 06 closeout IH and have a really nice FS ride...
http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8059/.f?sc=7&category=55
http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8093/.f?sc=7&category=55

As far as durability goes, stuff breaks. As long as you are going with a good company...like those mentioned in the thread so far...you will be getting a quality frame that will last you 5 years easily.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
Would you consider buying direct? If so, look at this. AWESOME deal for $700 and more than enough for the weekend warrior. Parts spec will last without longing to upgrade.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-X7-Details.html

If buying direct isn't an option, then go back to the LBS and see what other options you have for less money. Given your original post, I thought you'd fallen in love with the 8000, hence the recommendation to pull the trigger.

Bob
I am aware that there are better deals to be had on the net, but I value the relationship with my LBS to not look to save $200-$300 on a bike elsewhere. I purchase all my accessories and clothing online however. Actually you'd get crucified for recommending direct online retailer like Motobecane on a road bike forum :nono: I am glad to see that the folks at MTBR don't have any prejudice towards them.

My alternatives are Raleighs, Diamondbacks, Gary Fishers and other Treks that the LBS carries, at perhaps $100 off MSRP in sub $700 category. I don't know if there is anything worthy enough for me in that category, so I'd appreciate any input there.

I think I will take Trek 8000 for a more extensive test ride this weekend, and then whatever bike will be recommended as the most worthy at below $700 and see if the difference I feel between the two is worth the $600-$700 price difference.

P.S. I am 5'11", and I've never tried a 29er, but wouldn't mind checking one out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You would probably do more good for you LBS buying the bike online and the clothes and accessories at the store.:arf: But anyway if you want to stick with em cool...at around the dollar mark you are looking at..if your LBS is like the ones out here..all the bikes are going to be about 2-300 dollars off msrp. Assuming you could get it for around 9something look at the Trek 6500...decent spec, nice fork, same geometry as the 8000 and save you about 400!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Buy it

As CMC said if it won't make a ding in your budget you can't afford it's a very sweet HT. The frame is a very good HT frame which I can say I've ridden and it feels really nice in a "soft tail" sort of way on rough stuff.

As for lesser parts lasting when ridden hard, the answer is NO they absolutely will not. My first bike had on Alivio grade parts and I fuzzed that out in 10 months. If you're gona buy buy at least Deore or above.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LyNx said:
As for lesser parts lasting when ridden hard, the answer is NO they absolutely will not. My first bike had on Alivio grade parts and I fuzzed that out in 10 months. If you're gona buy buy at least Deore or above.
thank you, this is exactly the kind of information I wanted to know about MTB components. when you get a cheap gruppo on a road bike, of sora/tiagra level, you are simply getting more weight and not as smooth shifting and braking, but it does not seriously affect component's lifetime, save for casette and chain perhaps.

lol, and I am not a philanthropist for overpaying for a bike at LBS. With that premium I pay for future service, fit, sound advice, upgrades and overall good will from the store. Its much more than just business/customer relationship to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Am in the same boat as you. I'm looking for a quality HT, that won't necessarily be ridden on a daily basis, but one that I want to work each time I do ride, and that will last.

Have you considered the Jamis Dakota Elite? Not sure what the pricing is like where you are but over here in Oz it's really well specced & comes in around the same price as the Trek 8000.

And that's my first post ...

Matt.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Vetallist said:
thank you, this is exactly the kind of information I wanted to know about MTB components. when you get a cheap gruppo on a road bike, of sora/tiagra level, you are simply getting more weight and not as smooth shifting and braking, but it does not seriously affect component's lifetime, save for casette and chain perhaps.

lol, and I am not a philanthropist for overpaying for a bike at LBS. With that premium I pay for future service, fit, sound advice, upgrades and overall good will from the store. Its much more than just business/customer relationship to me.
Ok well if you want the elitist, I won't ride that crap response here goes. Get LX or better. Honestly, to me deore is entry, with lx as the base line from which to start at. Hah I said it I'm elitist.:blush: Get everything LX quality, xt everything you need to upgrade that did not come at that LX quality, and then slowly move up to XTR if you want to. And take LX, XT and XTR as in both the specific manufacturer terms and in the general quality of whatever component it is.

If I could find a store that actually gave good deals on service that actually matters, like 10-20% off fork instillations, hub rebuilds ect. I would shop their too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have ridden a trek 8000 for almost 8 years, everything from xc racing to 24 hour adventure races to weekly trail rides with my friends, it is an excelent bike and always been reliable for me. Well built frame with quality components.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went to a couple of shops and did my homework and my choice basically came down to either Trek 6000 or Trek 8000.

I was very disappointed with Specialized line of $600-$800 hardtails going by the specs. Rockhopper disc scaled over 30lbs in 17" size (actual weight). Cannondales looked just plain fugly to me with their proprietary fork systems. Diamondbacks seem like a fill in between Wal-Mart and bike shop bikes. Gary Fishers are essentially Treks with different sets of specs and same price ratios.

So I am wondering if Trek 6000 at $650 is good enough of an entry-level bike?

These are the specs:

Frame Alpha SLR Aluminum
Front Suspension RockShox Dart 1 w/preload, 100mm
Wheels
Wheels Shimano M475 disc hubs; Bontrager Ranger rims
Tires Bontrager Jones ACX, 26x2.1", 27 tpi
Drivetrain
Shifters Shimano Deore, 9 speed
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore
Crank Shimano M442 44/32/22
Cassette SRAM PG950 11-34, 9 speed
Pedals Alloy platform
Components
Saddle Bontrager Select
Seat Post Bontrager Sport
Handlebars Bontrager Crowbar Sport, 25mm rise
Stem Bontrager Sport, 10 degree
Headset Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed
Brakeset Avid BB-5, mechanical disc w/alloy levers

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
It's a decent build

The weak spot is the fork, but the rest seems to be OK. If it fits, and feels right on the test ride, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, save the fork issue.

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like I've settled with Raleigh Mojave 8.0 and will get it from my LBS later this week. For only $550 it seems like a good deal for an entry bike with SRAM X7 components and Avid BB5 brakes. Not sure if the fork or the wheels are very good, but at this price it leaves me some cash for upgrades down the road.
These are the details: http://www.raleighusa.com/popup-itemspecs.asp?deptid=11&itemid=340

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread :thumbsup:

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Great choice

Raleigh bikes are way underrated, IMO. Very nice spec, and you nailed the two weak spots, too. You'll find the limitations of the Suntour fork at some point, and the wheelset, while not bad, is typical of what you'd find in a bike at this price point. Like you said, it leaves money for you to upgrade in the future. Pick you spot down the road and grab the right deal on a fork and wheels.

Bob

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Raleigh bikes are way underrated, IMO. Very nice spec, and you nailed the two weak spots, too. You'll find the limitations of the Suntour fork at some point, and the wheelset, while not bad, is typical of what you'd find in a bike at this price point. Like you said, it leaves money for you to upgrade in the future. Pick you spot down the road and grab the right deal on a fork and wheels.

Bob
The Suntour forks... which ones are good and which ones are bad?
I assume the Dart 1 is worse than a Suntour XCR?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.