Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up from CL.

Appears to be a 1993 Trek 7000. Only non original parts from what I can tell are '92 LX crankset, '91-'93 XT Shifters and a DS2 air fork (any idea if its a quality fork or specs available?).

Have about 100 miles on it at the moment and its growing on me. Am I limited in future upgrades on this bike?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
DS2 (Showa) fork isn't all that spectacular, but there are worse forks out there.

1 1/8" headtube leaves you with options, but I wouldn't say a Trek 7000 is the kind of bike you sink money into.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the fork ever goes out, would a rigid work as a replacement? The bike will mostly be used for commuting and very light off road use every once in a while. What do I need look at to make sure the drivetrain is in good shape?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
If the fork ever goes out, would a rigid work as a replacement? The bike will mostly be used for commuting and very light off road use every once in a while. What do I need look at to make sure the drivetrain is in good shape?

Umm...well, if its just a commute bike, I don't think you'll need to worry about the fork any. You could swap to a rigid fork easy enough if you really wanted to.

Impossible for anyone to say what kind of shape the drivetrain is in (based on a far away pic and not being there in person). Make sure there is no excessive chain wear and chain rings and cassette aren't wasted. Properly adjusted brakes with pads in good shape. New cables, lubed housing....the basics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have that same bike. Trek 7000 love! I think yours is actually a 92.

Rigid fork is fine.
Not sure if its definitive enough to distinguish what year it is...but:

The frame also says "E9 Pro Gram 7000 series alloy" if that helps?

I've only been biking for about 2 months and I'm very green.

I currently have 100 miles logged on this bike as well as 400 on a Giant Revel 0. The only thing I'm not fond of on my Trek is that the handlebars are too narrow. What are some handlebar options I can try out?

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
good for you! does your saddle really feel comfortable like that?

There are all sorts of bars out there. Just look for one with a 25.4 clamping area if the stem fits you fine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm sorry to butt in, but that bike is SIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCKKKK...ahem...continue with your conversation.
Compared to what?? Nice solid rider, but SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCKKKKKKKKKKK? I sold them in the late 80's and early 90's. On slow days I rode one around inside the shop bunny hopping sh#t until I crashed and dented the frame....the Doctor I sold it to the next day never noticed...................;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have an older one with 1" heat tube and under the stay brakes in the garage. Had Suntour components on it, but they were beyond repair, so all I have now is the frame. Someday.....

BTW, it's a relatively heavy frame. Over 5 lbs.

·
Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
294 Posts
Compared to what?? Nice solid rider, but SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCKKKKKKKKKKK? I sold them in the late 80's and early 90's. On slow days I rode one around inside the shop bunny hopping sh#t until I crashed and dented the frame....the Doctor I sold it to the next day never noticed...................;)
You say potato, I say vodka.:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its definitive enough for me to tell you the bike doesn't fit you properly if thats how you have it set up.
I was getting knee pains until I raised the seat about 2"... I will be looking into swapping the bars since they are too narrow to use comfortably.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts