·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,256 Posts
Same bike

I am pretty sure the zx is just Treks fancy (read marketing) name for their "proprietary" aluminum tubing. Nothing special, still an entry level aluminum bike that will make a good rider, but not a "collectors" item! Just don't post a what's it worth thread after you get it, or the natives will get restless!:thumbsup:

Buy it, ride it, enjoy it, after all that's what bikes are for:)

frog

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
1 cog frog said:
I am pretty sure the zx is just Treks fancy (read marketing) name for their "proprietary" aluminum tubing.
Trek used that term for all of their upper end tubing. The steel and carbon frames had "ZX" on the top tubes as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just picked up a 1996 Trek 7000. My first "real" bike was one of these at the end of 1995 and I sold it a year later to get a Y-22. I always wanted another 7000 for nostalgia reasons so jumped on this one I found. I was so lucky because the new one had probably been ridden maybe 150 miles then put in storage. It is near mint, except for some paint scratches on the top tube from storage. Overall it is a fairly light bike, but the frame isn't really a minimalistic design by todays standards, so ZX doesn't seem to mean too much. Pretty heavy duty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I paid $185, but would have paid up to $225 based on my history with the bike. The one I got is a 16.5, full rigid and completely stock. It even had the original tires with almost no wear and the "16.5" factory sticker still on the seat tube.

If this is going to be your only bike, I would probably say get something newer. The 1996 7000 is a 7-speed bike, so you are limited by that (drivetrain, rear hub). Searching craigslist, I had seen slightly newer bikes with 8-speed, that would be easier to upgrade or find replacement parts for.

·
Registered
148 Posts
ZX was treks "Zero eXcess" line of lighter frames---even the steel 970's / 990's with ox3 frames got the ZX moniker for that year

1 - 11 of 11 Posts