Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
253 Posts
Hopefully you have taken them both for a ride. BIkes will ride differently based on their geometry. Don't just go with a bike because it has better parts on it. Choose a bike that makes you feel daring yet safe on it. Out of those two, I like the Ranier. Trek tends to use a lot of Bontrager parts, in which I'm not a big fan of. Both frames will be fine at your weight as long as you aren't ramping 2-3 feet off the ground all the time. Have you looked at other bikes in that range, or does your bike shop only carry thos brands. YOu may want to check out the Specialized rock hopper or maybe a Kona Blast as well.

· Freshly Fujified
8,196 Posts
Rainier, hands down

Turt99 said:
I'm currently looking at 2 different bikes and was wondering what your thoughts where on the 2

First is the Trek 6500:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/Mountain/Hardtail/Alpha_Aluminum/6500/index.php

Second is the Giant Rainier:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/cn/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=10220

EDIT:
Sorry, I forgot to add some details.
I'm a big guy 6' 2" and about 250 pounds, most of the riding will be simple cross country, single track.
Most of the drive train components on the Rainier spec out better. It also has some other name brand components in the cockpit, where the Trek relies on it's Bontrager brand for much of the components.

Just my 2 cents....

Clyde

· There's no app for this.
5,368 Posts
both posters are right

but in this order:

1) fit is the most important part, if the bike is the wrong size, it's like walking in ill fitting shoes for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooongggggggggggggggggggg way. Uphill. In winter. You get my drift. No pun intended.

2) the spec on the Ranier is way better, specifically the fork and the brakes, two of the most important bike parts. I didn't look at the drive train,as someone else already has.

Good luck, Jim

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I still need to actually ride these 2 bikes, but I'm not quite ready to purchase yet.. I'm just trying to get information on the best options out there.. I've looked online at all the specs and talked with one of the guys at my LBS which carries these 2 bikes..

He suggested the Rainier also because of its components, it was priced at $1100 CAN approx. (they had both the 2004 and 2005 models but the price was more or less the same)

They had the Trek 6500 there but for some reason their model didn't have the disc breaks (and without disc breaks the Giant really looks like a better bike) , and it was priced at about the same. However I checked another store and they have the Trek 6500 with disc listed at $899.

This sorta leads me to beleive that my LBS is overpriced (Cyclepath Brampton) but I'm assuming that if I go in I could hopefully bring them down in price. I haven't really found a better price on the Giant but I only found it on 1 other website.

I think my LBS carries Specialized maybe I'll take a look at those too.

Edit: Also I'm thinking that sticking to Hardtail is a good idea here, in this price range I assume that you'd get a much better Hardtail then a Dual.

5,368 Posts
In Canada

$1100 isn't out of line, you may wish to try to deal but it's high season now.

Specialized make excellent bikes, as do all brand name makers, you just have to figure out the one you want.

And yes, the lowest priced FS I'd tell you to look at would be the Kona Kikapu, at around $1600 CAD.

Lastly, discs are a must if you ride at all in any wet or muddy conditions. Vbrakes are fading as fast as cassette tapes, and only are used to lower price points on bikes.

There's a cyclepath (or used to be) near Erindale station road and Burnhamthorpe in Miss. ...but I moved from that area in '95 to BC. Ramsay's in Port Credit used to be good too, dunno about now.

Jim

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't saying that $1100 was out of line, I was saying that when this store (Cyclepath Brampton) has the Trek 6500 without disc brakes at $1000 and I find another store (Skiis and Biikes) that has the Trek 6500 with disc brakes at $899 it makes me wonder about the pricing.

(Prices are in Canadian)

Given the option I will definitly go with Disc brakes, I guess I just gotta get out there and try a few different bikes to see what fits me best.

5,368 Posts
Doh!

forgot about Skiis and biikes. Yep that's the nature of things now, prices fall and technology gets better.

Anyhow, shop around and find the one you love, come back if you have any other questions.

Good luck, Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.