Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy the TREK 6500 for some serious longdistance roadbiking im talking several months on the road. I really like this bike and I don´t want a traditional raodbike, I definately want a MTB. Is it suitable for this purpose??? Any experiences?? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
If your sure that you want to use a MTB on the road then I'm sure that bike will do you just fine, I'm currently looking at getting a new bike too and the Trek 6500 is on my list as well (along with the Giant Rainier)

Anyways what I would suggest if your going to be riding on the road alot is that you change the tires to something alittle smoother, on my current ride I have IRC Mythos Semi-Slicks (See link below) they preform well on the road because they are fairly smooth in the center, and they do okay in the trails because of the nobbies on the sides.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.asp...cle&CategoryName=&ProdID=5300001688&UberCat=0

Turt99

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm not sure of your reasoning for not wanting a traditional road bike, so it is hard to reply with any certainty, but you might want to consider a CrossBike.... Looks more like a road bike, but is suitable for gravel roads, and maybe some light trails.

The trek 6500 should be good for long distance rides. The only problem with riding it (or any MTB) on the road is that the gears are not set up for it, and you'll run out of gear really fast. MTB usually has a 44t or 46t big ring, where-as a road bike or cross bike will have a 53t big gear. I've ridden road on an MTB, and you'll probably spend 80% of your time topped out in one of the biggest gears....

If you'd give us a little more on your reasoning, and perhaps more about the intended use, people may be able to add a lot more.

I also like the Giant XTC. I have one and I'm very happy with it. I use it on my longer rides, but I have a road bike for the road....

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
bmateo said:
The only problem with riding it (or any MTB) on the road is that the gears are not set up for it, and you'll run out of gear really fast.
Well, not the ONLY problem, but perhaps the biggest problem..... :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
When I ask the bikeexperts here where I come from, they all advice me to go for something like the 6500, because a traditional roadbike is really for the ROAD only and not rough terrain. And I am sure that I will face some rough terrain in the Australian outback which is one of the places im going to reach at some point. But I will definately take some of your advices into account when I go spend a small fortune on a good bike :) :) :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.