Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Im in the market for a new mountain bike come springtime. I have it narrowed down to 2 bikes...both by Trek. Im looking at the 6000 and the 6700. Im from Canada and the 6700 is $1299 and the 6000 is $769. I like the brushed aluminum look of the 6000...but I keep turning the page in the brochure because I really like the blue/silver of the 6700. I know the 6700 has better components...but with having the same SLR frame; is the 6700 worth the extra $500? Im looking for opinions on both. I looked at the 6500...but dont like the darker finishes. Thanks.

Oh and I do alot of on-road and off-road biking. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi, I use to ride with a guy that owned an older 6700 (02 model I believe) and it was a sturdy bike. It had a Rockshox Duke fork and Deore/LX mix. He's had it since new and still has it. I don't know much about the 6000 but I would think with the 500 dollar increase you will get a bit better components and most likely a better wheelset too. Also look into disc brakes, that will increase the cost unfortunately but they are well worth it. I've got a Trek Fuel with the SLR frame and so far so good. I think either bike would be a good choice it's just a matter of what will fit your budget when the time comes.....good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your feedback. :) Also, I notice the 6700 has clipless pedals...I would rather just have regular alloy pedals. I dont plan on racing with this bike...just casual off-road and on-road riding. I do like the other upgraded components though. I have 2 really dumb questions: 1. Would I be able to put a normal alloy pedal on instead. (Im asking because this would be my first bike that would have clipless pedals.) 2. Do bikes with clipless pedals come with the shoes that clip in the pedal...if not, how much are they? Sorry for the dumb questions....ive always owned a bike with regular pedals. haha. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey, don't worry, the questions aren't dumb. If you do decide on the 6700 and don't want to use the clipless pedals keep them and don't get rid of them. Yes you can use regular pedals on your bike they will screw into the crank arm no problem, the threads are the same. There will be a time however that you will want to try clipless, most everybody gives in and makes the move up to clipless and most will never go back to regular pedals. My wife for example started riding in July 06 and one month later I talked her into to clipless and she loves them. As for shoes, that is a seperate purchase because shoes are a personal piece of equipment with different comforts levels and sizes. They vary in price too but expect to pay a hundred bucks or more for a good pair. When you get more serious about mountainbiking though try to go clipless and you'll see the difference especially when pedalling uphill you can actually pull up on the pedals through the pedalling revolutions and that helps tremendously. Also clipless pedals have tension adjusting screws so you can ease up on the tensioning. Hope this helps you for info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi there. I should've posted my pics here....I bought the 6700 about 3 weeks ago. I am really glad to have spent the extra money to get this...I tend to keep my bikes for a long time anyways. Where I am...its still cold out...so im hoping in the next week or so to have it out. It came with clipless pedals...but didnt want to move up to those just yet. I bought some Axiom gap flats. The bike is pretty light...except for when I have my chain lock in my saddle bag. haha.

Attachments

·
mtbr newbie
93 Posts
great pix

Great pix, prelude guy!

How do you like the sram shifters?
Do you know about how heavy she is?

I've got my eye on 6700 (vs. 6500 vs 6000)!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I too was looking at the 6000...but liked the components of this one. I really like how the SRAM X7s shift. They are quite different than the ones I had on my last bike. It took me a few minutes to get used to how they work....I had the simpler grip shift on my last bike. I havnt really gone any far distances yet with this new bike...its still near freezing here.

I too would love to know how heavy this bike is. It is pretty light...but of course, this is by far the nicest bike ive owned. Most of my previous bikes cost about half the price of this one. I had some left over paint protection film that i put on my car....so i put some of the leftovers on the downtube to protect it from rock chips.

·
mtbr newbie
93 Posts
I test rode the 6000 today. Great ride! There was some derailleur chatter, but I know that is minor. The LBS also had a 6700, but the frame size was too big to test ride.

Prelude guy- You're right- the 6700 is light- it felt about the same as Rockhopper Pro, which had been weighed in front of me at about 26#. I have a roof rack so a light bike would be nice.

I'm going to test ride some Rockhoppers next. If I still go with the Trek, it is going to be a tough call between models- I really like the orange and yellow frames of the lower models, and I already have a blue bike. But I am definitely going to have to test ride the 6700 so that there is no buyer's remorse!

·
Registered
5 Posts
rubber on rear fork

Hi-
I also just bought a Trek 6700, and was wondering what that black rubber thing is that is wrapped around the rear fork?

Thanks.

-Alan

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mordy said:
Thats to keep the chain from slapping against the chain stay and scratching the paint.
Did you just scoop those up at your LBS when you bought it? I haven't see that at my 3 LBS's here in Indy.

The 6700 looks like a very sweet bike! I got a 6000 about 4 weeks ago and have put over 180 miles on it. No problems yet and I still love it! I made the switch to clipless petals and will not be going back. It's very nice for long distance riding and also for off road. I've almost died (okay maybe just fell off) a couple of times from my feet sliding off the petals mid-air. Keep the ones that came with it. I also picked up some Nike Kato shoes which Shimano clips.

Also let me know how your Jones ACX's (the tires) last on asphalt. I have the same ones, but switched them out for Geax Evolutions. I ride 11 miles (one way) to work and thought they would be toast quickly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Kyle88 said:
Did you just scoop those up at your LBS when you bought it? I haven't see that at my 3 LBS's here in Indy.

The 6700 looks like a very sweet bike! I got a 6000 about 4 weeks ago and have put over 180 miles on it. No problems yet and I still love it! I made the switch to clipless petals and will not be going back. It's very nice for long distance riding and also for off road. I've almost died (okay mabey just fell off) a couple of times from my feet sliding off the petals mid-air. Keep the ones that came with it. I also picked up some Nike Kato shoes which Shimano clips.

Also let me know how your Jones ACX's (the tires) last on asphalt. I have the same ones, but switched them out for Geax Evolutions. I ride 11 miles (one way) to work and thought they would be toast quickly.
I got the guard at Pictou County Cycle in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia. The place said that they were pretty easy to get. I saw one of these guards on a Trek Fuel EX 7 bike and asked him about it. I bought my 6700 a couple of months ago...I have about 300 km (190 miles) on it now...as the weather here in NS takes a long time to get comfortable for biking. I love the bike too. My only complaint is that I still find the stock Bonty seat a bit harsh on the arse; even after buying a very good pair of bike shorts. I do more on road biking than off...so I didnt want the clipless pedals just yet. I traded them in and paid a few extra bucks to get these Axiom Gap Flats...these pedals have pegs in them that stick to your shoes well. These pedals were $80 (CAD)...which is a crazy price...but they seem to be worth it so far. So far my ACX's show little wear. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Alright, I haven't been able to find the Trek chainstay gaurds anywhere. Has anyone else seen them out on the net? My LBS only has Lizard Skins, but I wanted the rubber Trek version.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts